• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

• 1,992 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted December 11 2013 - 07:28 AM

Dolby has just announced a 1080P HDTV that will be something for use outside of the studios (like we saw when we visited Dolby at the last HTF meet in LA). 

The new TV, refereed to as the Pulsar, will be a light cannon with the ability to output 4K-nit compared to 100-nit for most displays today. 

It appears that Dolby will take advantage of 1080 technology in a way that benefits the user more than just resolution.  As we have discussed in the BDA-4K thread, having a wider color gamut (on that is hopefully standardized in SMPTE) is a feature that would probably be more noteworthy than 4K resolution as it could be easily distinguishable from any viewing distance. 

The Pulsar is supposed to have a much wider color gamut, one that is supported by HDR images on cameras today. 

The demo Pulsar that was shown had 4X more LED's than the standard display and because of this needed a liquid cooling system to keep it from melting! 

Dolby is also entering into a collaborative agreement with Philips that would allow for GLASS FREE 3D viewing!  The reports from folks that had a demo said they could actually move around the room glass free and still see the depth.  This is something that has not been the case to date with glass free 3D. 

Given that the demo unit requires liquid cooling, I guess it is safe to say that it won't be commercially available for a while...

Who is getting on the waiting list? 

Kevin Collins
To View My HD Collection Click Here

#2 of 4 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,709 posts

Posted December 16 2013 - 11:44 AM

Dolby is also entering into a collaborative agreement with Philips that would allow for GLASS FREE 3D viewing!  The reports from folks that had a demo said they could actually move around the room glass free and still see the depth. 

Depth, yes.

Pop-out, probably not.

From what I have seen of Dolby's glasses-free 3D, I am not a fan.

As long as they cannot emulate the kind of pop-out that can be had with glasses, I think the technology is a huge step down.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 4 Type A

Type A

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted December 16 2013 - 03:01 PM

Thats an interesting opinion Ronald, considering so many folks say pop-out is just too "gimmicky." Personally I like the pop out effect but thats rarely what I read from others, pros and users alike. Pretty sure if you like pop-out, and certainly if you actively seek it, you represent a very small minority.
JVC DLA-RS60U3D & DaLite High Power 106"
Paradigm Studio V.5 20 (5) & ADP590 (2)  
Hsu VTF-2 MK3 (2) & MBM-12 MK2 (2)

Yamaha RX-A3010 & Emotiva XPA5
Oppo BDP93 & Darbee DVP 5000

*My Home Theater Photo Journal*

#4 of 4 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,747 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted December 16 2013 - 03:15 PM

Hey, I like pop out...

Oh, wait...this thread is referring to 3D...

• Stephen_J_H and Type A like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users