Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Why would I want a Roku?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 of 47 OFFLINE   Patrick Donahue

Patrick Donahue

Second Unit

• 300 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted January 13 2014 - 09:33 PM

I will sign up for VUDU just for the free movies -- if I can cancel after a trial

Ron,Vudu isn't a subscription service like Netflix, so there's nothing to cancel. It's great to rent movies from, though. You defiantely want to use that over Amazon as Amazon only streams in 720p.One free app I can't live without is SkyNews, if you would like to use the Roku for something other than movies. Pandora is another good one.I am curious as to your thought on a blu-ray title vs. an HDX title on Vudu. Perhaps you can use a UV code on a new release to facilitate a comparison?

#42 of 47 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,425 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 18 2014 - 03:37 AM

Ron,Vudu isn't a subscription service like Netflix, so there's nothing to cancel. It's great to rent movies from, though. You defiantely want to use that over Amazon as Amazon only streams in 720p.One free app I can't live without is SkyNews, if you would like to use the Roku for something other than movies. Pandora is another good one.I am curious as to your thought on a blu-ray title vs. an HDX title on Vudu. Perhaps you can use a UV code on a new release to facilitate a comparison?

Roku also upconverts the Amazon 720p video signal to 1080p.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#43 of 47 OFFLINE   Mooooovies

Mooooovies

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted January 18 2014 - 08:16 PM

Can any Roku owners confirm if HBO Go, Showtime, and Max Go (Cinemax) are available applications?

Thanks!

#44 of 47 OFFLINE   Wayne_j

Wayne_j

Supporting Actor

• 694 posts

Posted January 18 2014 - 08:23 PM

Yes to HBO Go, Showtime just has sample episodes, No on Max Go the last I knew.

#45 of 47 OFFLINE   Mooooovies

Mooooovies

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted January 19 2014 - 09:16 PM

Thx Wayne.

#46 of 47 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,919 posts

Posted February 01 2014 - 12:05 PM

My old receiver doesn't have HDMI connections so I cannot watch Netflix in DD+ through my Roku 3. I have read that some HDMI connected receivers have issues with Netflix in DD+. Anyone having that issue? If not, what receiver are you using? 

As far as HBO Go, it only works for specific Cable providers. Unfortunately, Comcast is not one of them.

Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#47 of 47 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,443 posts

Posted February 08 2014 - 02:37 PM

If you do not use your Apple TV much maybe you should wait and see if a 4K model comes out in the next couple of years?

Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users