What's new

80's medical drama....was on ABC....pretty short lived I think (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Watching Emergency! last night I was reminded of a show I watched on ABC in the mid-80's, probably '83-'84ish. It was a medical drama but for the life of me I don't remember the name. It seems like it was on Sunday nights but I won't swear on it. I remember a scene in which a woman was doing laundry on her back porch in the winter and had a space heater. The heater was knocked in the washer without her realizing it and she almost got electrocuted. Can anyone jog my memory here? Thanks!

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Ron1973 said:
Watching Emergency! last night I was reminded of a show I watched on ABC in the mid-80's, probably '83-'84ish. It was a medical drama but for the life of me I don't remember the name. It seems like it was on Sunday nights but I won't swear on it. I remember a scene in which a woman was doing laundry on her back porch in the winter and had a space heater. The heater was knocked in the washer without her realizing it and she almost got electrocuted. Can anyone jog my memory here? Thanks!
Maybe Trauma Center?
It aired in the fall of 1983 on ABC, it was thursday nights.
Nothing else much on their schedule in the medical category.
Not a particularly notable show, other than starring Lou Ferrigo,
and the crossover episode with "the Fall Guy".

http://www.tvrage.com/shows/id-16728/episode_guide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trauma_Center_(TV_series)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983%E2%80%9384_United_States_network_television_schedule

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
derosa said:
Maybe Trauma Center?
It aired in the fall of 1983 on ABC, it was thursday nights.
Nothing else much on their schedule in the medical category.
Not a particularly notable show, other than starring Lou Ferrigo,
and the crossover episode with "the Fall Guy".

http://www.tvrage.com/shows/id-16728/episode_guide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trauma_Center_(TV_series)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983%E2%80%9384_United_States_network_television_schedule
That's the one! I had forgotten Lou Ferrigno starring on there, though. I kept thinking Medical Center but I knew that couldn't be the right one obviously.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
And it was up against Magnum, P.I. No wonder it didn't last.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Ron1973 said:
That's the one! I had forgotten Lou Ferrigno starring on there, though. I kept thinking Medical Center but I knew that couldn't be the right one obviously.
Perhaps your confusion stems from the fact that until pretty close to airdate, the show was supposed to be titled Medstar, which is also the name of the fictional trauma center inside the fictional hospital, but was changed to the more generic Trauma Center.

No idea how late the change came, but it was certainly after the Fall Preview issue of TV Guide had gone to press. I think some on-air promos in the weeks prior to the season also referred to the show as Medstar.

Edit: just saw an early promo for the show on YouTube that said "Medstar: Thursdays this fall."

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Not a bad show. Only ran for a couple of months. I transferred some of them a couple of years ago. I liked the beautiful Jayne Modean, who was a regular in that.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AndyMcKinney said:
Perhaps your confusion stems from the fact that until pretty close to airdate, the show was supposed to be titled Medstar, which is also the name of the fictional trauma center inside the fictional hospital, but was changed to the more generic Trauma Center.

No idea how late the change came, but it was certainly after the Fall Preview issue of TV Guide had gone to press. I think some on-air promos in the weeks prior to the season also referred to the show as Medstar.

Edit: just saw an early promo for the show on YouTube that said "Medstar: Thursdays this fall."
That could have been the source of my confusion, Andy. I was probably 9 years old but the show caught my attention enough I remember it. Probably no chance at all of it coming to DVD though stranger things have happened. Does anyone know who the rights belong to?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Ron1973 said:
That could have been the source of my confusion, Andy. I was probably 9 years old but the show caught my attention enough I remember it. Probably no chance at all of it coming to DVD though stranger things have happened. Does anyone know who the rights belong to?
It was a Glen Larson production, so probably Universal?

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AndyMcKinney said:
It was a Glen Larson production, so probably Universal?
Yeah, if we can't get B.J. or Lobo to DVD, I'm certainly not going to hold my breath for this show if Universal owns it. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks