What's new

Receiver and speaker upgrade question (1 Viewer)

txbonds

Agent
Real Name
Greg
I'm finally updating from a roughly 15 year old Yamaha RX-V795A 5.1 receiver with Definitive Technology ProMonitor80 speaker set. The main reason for the upgrade is to get more modern connections and features like HDMI. The old system has been relocated to my garage shop for music.I have inbound a new Definitive Technology ProCinema 800 speaker set as I was pretty happy with my prior set and this looks to be an improved version of what I had. I ordered items individually to make my set and got 6 promonitor 800 speakers, 1 promonitor 1000 center speaker, and 1 promonitor 800 subwoofer. Enough speakers for 7.1 so far.Here is my question. For use in a fairly small living room, I'm looking at the Sony STR-DN1040 receiver. Also looked at a refurbished Marantz SR6008 for about $200 more or refurbished SR5008 for about the same price. Any way to best decide on receiver for most features and connectivity for my speakers? I have Sony TV and DVD but am wondering if it would be better to have RCA in/out for all channels which the sony receiver doesn't have.Also on speaker placement, my room is wider than long, so the sofa sits against the wall opposite the TV. I'm trying to decide how to setup surrounds and whether to go with rear surround somehow or front height?Thanks for any thoughts on either subject. I want to buy another item to last the next 15 years. Thanks.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If your couch is up against the back wall, you can't do 7.1.

Do you need the MCH input or the pre-outs?

What features do you want?

txbonds

Agent
Real Name
Greg
Yes couch is against the wall. Only way furniture fits due to layout of room. I guess what I'm really looking at would be 5.1 plus front height.I picked up the sony str-dn1040 based on reading some quick reviews rating it well for the $500 price. The only reason I second guessed it was the lack of the pre in and out connections. As mentioned I would like to make it a little more future proof to last as long as possible. One of the things I like is the Bravia link feature with DVD and TV. I also want to have plenty of HDMI in and out.The above said my prior experience is with Yamaha and I really liked the sound of my old receiver. I've not hooked up the sony so I'm really not sure if I should keep it or look at another Yamaha or something like the marantz products for the same money. Thanks.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I've never been impressed with any Sony audio product that didn't have an ES in the model number...and even then, not overly impressed. To each their own.

Height is a much better option. I assume the 1040 has DPL IIz(been ages since I've looked at it).

The only, modern, reason to have MCH is if you have a SACD/DVD-A player that can't do them over HDMI. And even if you don't, the Oppo 970 DVD player is routinely under $100 en Ebay. It decodes SACD as PCM, then ships it over HDMI(pretty sure, but not certain, it is the only one HDMI 1.1 that can play SACD over HDMI....and that is because it cheats).

Since HDMI 1.3...SACD and DVD-A have gone over HDMI(provided your player supports them) and even HDtracks is downloadable to DSD 2.0 on a flashdrive(which many AVR can read 2.0 DSD on their USB now).

So...why do you need the MCH?

Pre-outs I totally understand...and I refuse to buy an AVR without them.

txbonds

Agent
Real Name
Greg
It would give you the option to utilize a different processor or to utilize the unit for just the amps. Not sure it is really something to worry with but is just a thought with regards to future proofing it a little. The marantz 5008 unit seems to include both and does include the front height option. Also I keep reading that audessy is a good option.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes you can use the internal amps from this AVR via the MCH(I've even remarked about that with ancient AVR still being relevant because of it).

They have all but disappeared though in anything "not Marantz". I think all the new .5 Integra lose it this year. Onkyo lost it last year. I haven't looked at the Denon 4520 in a while and don't remember if it has it. Pioneer/Elite already lost it.

Sony's (whatever it is called) room correction is behind the 8-ball. Even MCACC is better than it is...and MCACC has yet to graduate to sub EQ. (currently in the throws of a SC79 review. Only got it for 3 weeks...so many things I'm not even bothering to get to that have been covered elsewhere...I'm mainly tackling the sound...which is quite good).

Future proofing is(to be blunt) is a fools endeavor. Just plan on a new one in the next 5-7 years...no matter how much you spend.

txbonds

Agent
Real Name
Greg
I'm thinking the marantz 5008 looks like a good option for me. My wall space wouldn't allow for front wide due to door alignment, so I'm bound to front height and 5.1 setup it looks. I don't plan to have a second location for another tv or zone, so the single HDMI out should be fine I guess. The power of the 5008 seems sufficient for the definitive speakers and my more modest space.Anything else I would be giving up from the 6008, as the 5008 is $200 cheaper.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Need, any of these?

Phono input?
Neo X? (you aren't running width)
More than 2 analog audio inputs? (of which one is the phono)

txbonds

Agent
Real Name
Greg
Not at this time. Will be plugging an Apple TV, comcast HD box, sony blue ray and video game system into it. I went ahead and returned the sony strdn1040 and ordered the refurbished Marantz SR5008. It doesn't have quite as many features but it looks like it has the ones I need and if what I'm reading about sound quality is correct, then it should be in good shape. Would like to have had the 6008 or 7008 but didn't want to pay the difference in price. The 5008 was only $10 more than the sony. Thanks for the tips.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Since you got the SR5008...

IIz works best of Dolby encodes(not exactly shocking) and Aud DSX works better on DTS(again, not shocking).

The Sony didn't have DSX.

By the way, you'll be able to cycle through IIz and DSX(whether you do, or don't want the enhancement...) on any other sound modes(including the audio DSP...ie classical/pop/rock etc...)

txbonds

Agent
Real Name
Greg
Thanks.I'm still questioning my decision. LOLWhy would the Yamaha 1030 weigh so much more than the marantz units? 1030 = 33 lbs and the marantz units weigh 22 to 27 lbs for 5008 through 7008 respectively. Also, how does the 1030 handle the front height speakers?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yamaha invented Presence a long time ago.

IIz and DSX are merely different takes on what Yamaha has done for years.

Yamaha has IIz(not on all of them though) as well as their own Presence. Yamaha also has its own rear Presence(since they don't do width...).

So you can do 11.1 with the 3030(maybe the 2030??) with front and rear Presence...I would assume the rear Presence works as an add-on to IIz as well.

The "weight" is probably the power supply and heat sink.

txbonds

Agent
Real Name
Greg
Realistically, a 5.1 with front height speakers will probably be more than enough for my room with the Marantz sr5008. If I really feel a need to add more I could look at adding a second matching subwoofer.Thanks for all the help. This stuff sure has changed since I last looked into it. It would be easy to buy the most expensive, most feature filled flagship product there is, but choosing the one that is only what you NEED is the truly hard route.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
No need to second guess your decision on the Marantz. I've had a 5005, 6005 and currently have a 7005. Solid, easy to setup and operate, excellent remote controls and the 5008 should have no problem powering those DefTech speakers. The Yamaha would also be nice (as would 100 other receivers).The 5007 has both MCH inputs and 7.2 pre-outs. At $499 extended warranties are $35 for 3 years and $50 for 5 years.And yes, most people spend way too much on the avr. So have I. Several times.

txbonds

Agent
Real Name
Greg
I just can't stop thinking about the Yamaha 1030. Rats.................From everything I'm reading and from my prior experience being yamaha I'm sort of wishing I'd have gone with the 1030 instead. Looks like the 1030 is more comparable to the 6008 marantz spec wise.The only thing I'm not sure of is how I would use my 2 extra speakers, numbers 6 & 7, with the yammy since my couch is against the wall and it looks like they only do rear surround for those speakers.

txbonds

Agent
Real Name
Greg
schan1269 said:
Presence.
From reading I got the idea it did that virtually though. At least on the front end anyway. With the yammy could I used surrounds beside the couch and the rear surrounds overhead and get the sound right? Or would I be better off sticking to 5.2 and use the extras as a zone 2 somewhere else?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It has both.

Presence is actual speakers.
Virtual Presence is when you don't have actual speakers.

Look at the rear picture. There is a pair of binding posts marked Presence.

Presence and Virtual Presence are different features.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks