Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TV shows and/or live TV streaming

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   JasonLa

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted December 09 2013 - 12:56 AM

So lately I have been wanting more than what netflix offers for TV shows. I have quite a lot of shows on netflix I can and want to watch. However, there are a few shows I have season(s) to watch that are not available at this time to stream on netflix. Also I've heard that you can stream live TV but I have no idea where to look. And with the popularity of roku I would think there would be things I can add to my roku to watch live TV local and possibly network channels. And also good free sources for streaming TV shows similar to how hulu used to be before they went sub based. That I may be able to have on roku as well.

Thanks

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   dem45133

dem45133

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted December 14 2013 - 12:39 PM

Maybe you need to formulate your questions as questions???.  Seems you should have recieved some replies by now.  I'm looking for similar information...

Dave

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   huskerbear@frontier.com

huskerbear@frontier.com

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 06:30 AM

The Roku has tons of content. To compliment Netflix for tv shows I would recommend Amazon prime, that is how we watch almost all of our tv.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,051 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted December 16 2013 - 07:57 PM

Something like Aereo? It is a service where you rent a tv antenna and get a online DVR. You can stream live programming or have your online DVR record it. They do have a Roku app but the service is only available in a limited number of cities and they have been repeatedly challenged in court, although I think they have been winning.

Another possibility would be to get something like the HDHomerun to record over the air programming on a Windows or Mac system then use Plex to stream the recorded content to the Roku. This wouldn't work for streaming live content.

There is a new product called Simple.TV that I am not familar with however it looks like it would do what you want. Just need to buy their hardware, attach some storage and a TV antenna and you are good to go with network streaming and recording.

-Keith

As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   JasonLa

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted January 18 2014 - 02:23 AM

I almost forgot I posted this I guess with the holidays and all. But anyways I'm not lookin to buy any hardware or anything like that since the channels are broadcast for free. So far the few things I have found are for just a few out of state ones (ex. fox or abc). But then only 2 or 3 of them. Which throws me for a loop after reading reviews of how great these free options are. How can something be so great if one can only see 2 or 3 broadcast channels of the possibly hundreds of them out there in just the US. Here in my local area there are a couple dozen broadcast channels. But I'm beginning to think this is a futile effort. I thought hey it's broadcast over the air so it must be something simple to have as accessable as streams over the internet in much the same free way. Or even transmitted over the internet from a low cost device like the $10 digital antanae one had to buy for broadcast TV when it went digital. I'm not sure I can justify subscribing to hulu or amazon for the small fraction of TV content I'm not able to get on netflix. I guess you can probably tell I've gotten frustrated trying to find a solution to this as a suppliment to netflix.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,478 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted January 18 2014 - 07:36 AM

Except for some Bad Robot productions, what can't You find on the networks website?

Unless you are talking Showtime/ HBO content.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users