Posted Image

–The Secret Life of Walter Mitty – 1947

Posted Image

–Robert Loggia & Tom Hanks (Big – 1988)

Posted Image

–Stella Dallas – 1937

The Prices
Posted Image
The price links below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

DVDs  Amazon BestBuy Target
Adore $20.86    
Angels Sing $14.96    
Battle of the Year $22.78 $19.99  
Despicable Me 2 $17.99 $19.99 $16.99
Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor (50th Anniversary) $17.99    
Fast & Furious 6 $17.99 $17.99 $16.99
Futurama: Volume 8 $19.96 $16.99  
The Game: The Sixth Season $29.73    
The Gene Autry Show: The Complete Television Series $69.99    
The Hunt $22.93    
Jayne Mansfield's Car $24.28    
Man of Tai Chi $14.98    
Mary Poppins (50th Anniversary) $24.96 $19.99  
The Rooftop $22.48    
Saving General Yang $21.23    
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty $12.99    
Stella Dallas $13.47    
Teen Wolf: Season Three, Part 1 $19.96 $17.99  
Touchy Feely $24.28    
The Ultimate Life $11.98    
You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet $27.98    
Zulu Dawn [1979] $14.98    

Posted Image
The price links below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

Blu-rays  Amazon BestBuy Target
Adore $27.86    
Angels Sing $22.49    
Battle of the Year $24.99 $22.99  
Battle of the Year 3D $27.99 $27.99  
The Big Gundown [Combo Pack + CD] $34.99    
Big: 25th Anniversary Edition $12.96    
Despicable Me 2 [Combo Pack] $19.99 $19.99 $19.99
Despicable Me 2 [3-D Combo Pack] $24.99 $24.99  
Doctor Who: Day of the Doctor (50th Anniversary) $21.99    
Fanny Hill (Russ Meyer) $26.98    
Fast & Furious 6 [Combo Pack]  (Extended Edition) $19.99 $19.99  
Fast & Furious 6 [Combo Pack]  (Steelbook) (Extended Edition) $19.99 $19.99 $19.99
Futurama: Volume 8 $31.99 $22.99  
Golden Voyage of Sinbad, The  [Twilight Time]       
The Great Muppet Caper & Muppet Treasure Island [Combo Pack] $19.99    
Grey Gardens [Criterion Collection] $34.99    
The Hunt $25.48    
Jayne Mansfield's Car $26.99    
Man of Tai Chi $19.98    
Martin Scorsese’s World Cinema Project [Combo Pack] $119.99    
Mary Poppins: 50th Anniversary Edition [Combo Pack] $24.99 $24.99  
The Rooftop $26.98    
Royal Flash  [Twilight Time]       
Saving General Yang $19.96    
Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger  [Twilight Time]       
Touchy Feely $26.98    
The Ultimate Life $22.98    

The Disclaimer

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still out of business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their prices anyway).

The Specials

--Three new Blu Twilight Time releases this week.  Pre-order HERE!

--At Best Buy, this week, purchase any version of Despicable Me 2 and get a FREE MINION LUNCH BOX.  BB also has copies of Despicable Me on sale:  $14.99 Blu/$19.99 3-D Blu. 

--Best Buy also claims to have an EXCLUSIVE STEELBOOK of Fast & Furious 6 (I don't understand this because Amazon also has a STEELBOOK of Fast & Furious 6.  Maybe the word EXCLUSIVE means something different nowadays.  Also, see Target's claim below.)  Buy specially marked packages of Fast & Furious 6 at Best Buy and receive $5 in CinemaNow credit towards the purchase of ANY Fast & Furious film.  Also at Best Buy, purchase all SIX Fast & Furious movies in EXCLUSIVE STEELBOOK PACKAGING (yeah, right, sure) for just $69.99.

--Best Buy is advertising up to $10 in MOVIE ADMISSION to see Saving Mr. Banks (in theaters 12-20-13) when you buy the Blu Combo Pack of Mary Poppins.

--Best Buy also has a number of select $9.99 Blu titles on sale Buy One Get One FREE.  TItles shown in the ad are:  21 Jump Street, Parker, Seven Psychopaths.

--Also, save up to 20% on select Pixar Blu combo packs (regular $19.99 to $29.99) for just $19.99 (yeah, that doesn't make a lot of sense either.  Do the math.  But it is what the ad says!)  Titles shown are Monsters, Inc., Toy Story and Finding Nemo.

--Buy The Hobbit RealD 3-D Glasses (whatever they are) and get up to $11 E-MOVIE CASH to see The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (in theaters 12-13-13).  The glasses are $9.99 apiece.  BB also has the Blu of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey on sale for $9.99 and the Blu LOTR Trilogy for $49.99.

--The following recent releases are on sale this week at Best Buy (all DVD unless otherwise noted):

$14.99:  The Wolverine, The Purge, Curse of Chucky.

$17.99: The Wolverine (Blu CP).

$19.99:  The Purge (Blu CP), Curse of Chucky (Blu CP).

--Best Buy Odds and Ends:  None to report.

--I'm really not sure what to make of this...but Target has an EXCLUSIVE STEELBOOK PACKAGING OF...Fast & Furious 6--just like Amazon and Best Buy.  (That's right, all three retailers claim to have EXCLUSIVES on the steelbook packaging of this title.)  Target's steelbooks have an EXCLUSIVE (if you can believe that) soundtrack CD.  Target also has Blu-rays of the first five Fast & Furious films for $10 apiece.  

--Target is also advertising an EXCLUSIVE bonus disc with it's Blu copies of Despicable Me 2 (Includes 40+ minutes of "fun extras" content...including an interview with Pharrell Williams).  Target also has a special EXCLUSIVE RELEASE of a Blu combo pack of Despicable Me 2 for $27.99 which includes an Anti-Villain League Book. 

--Target has the following recent releases on sale this week (all DVD unless otherwise noted):

$9.99:  Turbo, The Croods.

$12.00:  Silver Linings Playbook

$13.00:  The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Blu)

$14.99:  Turbo (Blu), Skyfall (Blu), Star Trek: Into Darkness, Red 2
$16.99:  2 Guns, Grown Ups, White House Down, After Earth

$19.99:  2 Guns (Blu)

$22.99:  Django Unchained (Blu)

--Target has a number of holiday DVDs on sale for $6.99 and $14.99.

--Target Odds and Ends: None to report.

--Some more Wal-Mart prices this week (keeping in mind there is the potential for regional variations--see above disclaimer).

Despicable Me 2:  $16.96 DVD, $19.96 Blu Combo Pack Gift Set (includes two Minion toys), $24.96 3-D Blu Combo Pack.

Fast & Furious 6:  $16.96 DVD, $19.96 Blu Combo Pack (Steelbook!) with Wal-Mart EXCLUSIVE 30 minutes of bonus footage on Vudu plus a virtual item in the Facebook game Car Town.  The other Fast & Furious films are $5 on DVD.  

Last edited by a moderator:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Just to clarify, you have two listings for Doctor Who: Day Of The Doctor.

One seems to go to import from Amazon UK, and is listed as 3D in the grid. The other goes to US version. Is there a reason you have two entries?

Even though your grid doesn't mention it, both the UK and US versions are in fact - 3D.

Originally, the UK version was going to contain a DVD version of An Adventure In Space And Time, but I don't think that is true anymore.

David

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
How weird. I'd have to assume the "exclusive" refers to some kind of content, not the actual steelbook packaging itself...though that does seem to be what the ads would imply.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
David Weicker said:
Just to clarify, you have two listings for Doctor Who: Day Of The Doctor.

One seems to go to import from Amazon UK, and is listed as 3D in the grid. The other goes to US version. Is there a reason you have two entries?

Even though your grid doesn't mention it, both the UK and US versions are in fact - 3D.

Originally, the UK version was going to contain a DVD version of An Adventure In Space And Time, but I don't think that is true anymore.

David
Fixed. Removed the UK version. Thanks, David for straightening me out! :laugh:
Malcolm R said:
How weird. I'd have to assume the "exclusive" refers to some kind of content, not the actual steelbook packaging itself...though that does seem to be what the ads would imply.
The ads are pretty clear. Here's a scan of my Best Buy ad:

Best Buy Ad Scan F&F6 - close up.jpg
Best Buy Ad Scan F&F6.jpg

Yet the steelbook seems to be available at Best Buy, Target, Amazon and Wal-Mart.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Just Doctor Who for me - was going to get it a week early from Best Buy, and arranaged to pick it up at my local store (it was listed as in stock). In Best Buy's typically worthless manner, I got an email that said it wasn't really in stock after all, and I could wait 1 to 2 weeks for shipment - sure am glad that I didn't cancel my Amazon order.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I just got the Target ad in my inbox: this may clarify...
The ad states "Exclusive CD with Steelbook" (so I guess the CD IS an exclusive) and the cover art is different from Best Buy's. Nitpicking, yes...but each has a "claim" to push those sales. And given the timing of this release after Paul Walker's death this will be a HUGE release and probably hard to find...

131208_CT_0405_BRD_FastFurious6_123802-99.jpg

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Careful on the Doctor Who 50th, everyone. I bought it last week at Best Buy (they had it a week early as an exclusive), and there is a weird audio issue that causes several sound effects and music cues throughout to sound muffled and even phased (at least when downconverted to stereo).

From what I gather on other forums, it's apparently a known issue with the disc, so I imagine they'll at least fix the audio. But what's more troubling to me is that the framerate on the show itself has been slowed down from 25 to 23.976, I assume in order to make it progressive. On previous BBC releases, the 50i was converted to 60i, which is of course still interlaced, but at least it ran at the correct speed. This affects the 3D & 2D versions on the Blu-ray, and also the DVD, and from what I gather on other forums, it's the same for the UK Blu-ray as well.

I really hope this is not what BBC plans to do going forward on their releases, as it's actually worse than the traditional NTSC->PAL speedup.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Muppet Caper/Treasure Island has apparently shipped already for me. Mary Poppins should be coming, too. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Steve Tannehill said:
Mary Poppins is down to $24.99 at Amazon now.
which is $20 for those who got the Amazon five dollar coupon.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Bryan Tuck said:
But what's more troubling to me is that the framerate on the show itself has been slowed down from 25 to 23.976, I assume in order to make it progressive. On previous BBC releases, the 50i was converted to 60i, which is of course still interlaced, but at least it ran at the correct speed. This affects the 3D & 2D versions on the Blu-ray, and also the DVD, and from what I gather on other forums, it's the same for the UK Blu-ray as well. I really hope this is not what BBC plans to do going forward on their releases, as it's actually worse than the traditional NTSC->PAL speedup.
They actually started doing this with the "Complete Seventh Series" release. That release was pitch-corrected, so I didn't really notice it until it was pointed out to me, but the pacing is affected, since it adds about a minute and a half to the running time of each episode.I'm not sure why they went in this direction, since their 1080i60 releases have always played back spectacularly well.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Peter McM said:
No Target price for Mary Poppins?
Mike only includes Target's advertised prices. If it's not in their flyer, he probably can't be sure of the price and so it probably won't be in the round-up.In this case, a search of Target's website doesn't turn up anything either.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Adam Lenhardt said:
They actually started doing this with the "Complete Seventh Series" release. That release was pitch-corrected, so I didn't really notice it until it was pointed out to me, but the pacing is affected, since it adds about a minute and a half to the running time of each episode.I'm not sure why they went in this direction, since their 1080i60 releases have always played back spectacularly well.
I agree; I will take interlaced if the alternative is having the show run slow.

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Is the Movie Money only going to be available through Best Buy? It doesn't say anything about being exclusive. Have Movie Money deals typically been for only one store?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ I'm sure there's exceptions but Movie Money tickets aren't generally retailer exclusives. My guess is that Best Buy is the only that mentioned it but all stores will have it. Keep in mind, that's purely a guess and I've been known to be frequently wrong. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
^ I'm sure there's exceptions but Movie Money tickets aren't generally retailer exclusives. My guess is that Best Buy is the only that mentioned it but all stores will have it. Keep in mind, that's purely a guess and I've been known to be frequently wrong. :)
I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks