Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A Panny plasma issue...Can anyone help?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,250 posts

Posted December 07 2013 - 06:43 PM

I have had my Panny 55" TC-P55UT50 for roughly 10 months. It has, other than ghosting issues with a handful of 3-D movies, been a beautiful set with superb deep blacks and striking colors. I absolutely love it and am saddened by the news that Panasonic is shutting down production on its line.

A few days ago I noticed an anomaly that definitely hadn't been there before. A vertical area about two inches wide on the extreme right side of the picture is incrementally darker than the rest of the screen...it looks like a shadow, and at first I thought it was lighting in the room. Then I thought it might be burn-in, so I ran the anti-retention scroll bar about ten times. It isn't going away. I thought it might be from the magnet in the close-by right front speaker, but I was told that wouldn't affect plasma screens (?).

And it's only obvious when there is a bright, solid-color image on that part of the screen. I don't really see it otherwise (although it is surely there), but it's bugging me now, the way a repetitious noise does once you notice it.

Now I am scrambling to find my sales receipt (where the hell is it?), as it may have to be serviced, which would mean losing it for a week or two -- talk about withdrawal from an addiction!

Has anyone else a comparable experience?

Suggestions welcome, with thanks.

P.S. For those of you who celebrate it, have a safe and satisfying holiday season!

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,461 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted December 07 2013 - 06:59 PM

This is a known Panny thing.

Things to check first...

Ground loop
Frequent use of "screen ticker"(like a news channel. Yes those can affect vertical picture)

Panny does not consider a faint bar a flaw(neither does Samsung or LG).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users