Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Thanks Xbox one for all the flipping wires

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   jason123

jason123

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted December 06 2013 - 05:41 PM

Hey all not sure who has added the Xbox One to their systems.  I love it looks great on my new Epson and 110" Screen.  BUT what Xbox did not think of is customers who have the counsel in separate rooms.  Now the new system has major Kinect integration which I have to say after 2 weeks of use is very cool BUT...for anyone that keeps it in another room with their components you are screwed...you have 2 options

#1...dont use the Kinect and keep the system in your component room

#2...have the system in your main room with a cable to the projector/TV and the Kinect sitting somewhere

Sorry to complain but I am pissed my wireless home theater room now have wires going all over the place.  At least with the Xbox one you could use a standard USB extension cable.  This system has some new funky connector.

Anyone else have this issue and come up with a clean solution?

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Type A

Type A

Supporting Actor

• 796 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted December 06 2013 - 06:16 PM

Ive already been thinking about this.  Havent gotten the Xbox1 yet but Im in the same boat,  all my gear is in another room including my current Xbox 360.  Are you sure there isnt a simple extension cable for your new Kinect?  Is the new controller working OK in your remote room location? Surely this issue occured to M$...

JVC DLA-RS60U3D & DaLite High Power 106"
Paradigm Studio V.5 20 (5) & ADP590 (2)  
Hsu VTF-2 MK3 (2) & MBM-12 MK2 (2)

Yamaha RX-A3010 & Emotiva XPA5
Oppo BDP93 & Darbee DVP 5000

*My Home Theater Photo Journal*

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   jason123

jason123

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted December 06 2013 - 07:33 PM

Yes the controller works great just like the 360 I have looked all over for an extension but nothing yet

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,255 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted December 06 2013 - 08:40 PM

I thought Xantech and Cables-2-go already had IR extension that worked with Kinect/XBone...(Xantech was selling Kinect/XBone ready kits 45 days before launch)

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,161 posts

Posted December 07 2013 - 01:09 PM

Not to sound like a jerk, but you are probably well within the extreme minority of people that they are aiming this console at.  There are probably more teenage boys who will buy an Xbox to sit in their bedroom next to a 30" TV than HT enthusiasts who have setups like the one you described.

It should be noted that MS was going to require a high speed internet connection in order for the console to check DRM licenses once every 24 hours, so clearly they don't care about alienating the fringes of their marketable audience.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Type A

Type A

Supporting Actor

• 796 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted December 07 2013 - 02:57 PM

There are probably more teenage boys who will buy an Xbox to sit in their bedroom next to a 30" TV than HT enthusiasts who have setups like the one you described.

Thats pretty slippery of you.  Keep in mind that the predominant Xbox 360 ownership demographic is more like males age 35-44 :wave-hello: ,  not "teenage boys."  Disposable cash talks, paper route money walks.

JVC DLA-RS60U3D & DaLite High Power 106"
Paradigm Studio V.5 20 (5) & ADP590 (2)  
Hsu VTF-2 MK3 (2) & MBM-12 MK2 (2)

Yamaha RX-A3010 & Emotiva XPA5
Oppo BDP93 & Darbee DVP 5000

*My Home Theater Photo Journal*

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   jason123

jason123

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted December 07 2013 - 05:38 PM

I thought Xantech and Cables-2-go already had IR extension that worked with Kinect/XBone...(Xantech was selling Kinect/XBone ready kits 45 days before launch)

Not sure about this but the kinetic is not a simple IR extension, show me the links and I will tell you.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,255 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted December 07 2013 - 05:48 PM

Xantech Xtranet XLIP200/400

Kinect itself is IR extension.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted December 09 2013 - 12:07 PM

Thats pretty slippery of you.  Keep in mind that the predominant Xbox 360 ownership demographic is more like males age 35-44 :wave-hello: ,  not "teenage boys."  Disposable cash talks, paper route money walks.

Even considering that, it would surprise me if the ratio of teenaged boys with an XBone in their bedroom to XBone owners (XBoners? Sorry, I couldn't resist!!!) with HT gear in a separate room is any lower than 1000:1.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,161 posts

Posted December 09 2013 - 03:19 PM

I didn't say anything derogatory or mean, I was making a fair point.  The average age of a gamer is in the mid-30s but that doesn't make my comment untrue.  I know that most of my friends who played games did so in their bedrooms (sidenote: I'm 28) and I know a lot of friends/cousins/etc. who are younger that still do.  Conversely, I now know of 1 person who has a wireless HT.

Further, I'm really curious what the 360's demographic breakdown is.  Anyone know of a source for hard numbers?

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   cavell219

cavell219

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted January 06 2014 - 04:25 PM

I didn't say anything derogatory or mean, I was making a fair point.  The average age of a gamer is in the mid-30s but that doesn't make my comment untrue.  I know that most of my friends who played games did so in their bedrooms (sidenote: I'm 28) and I know a lot of friends/cousins/etc. who are younger that still do.  Conversely, I now know of 1 person who has a wireless HT.

Further, I'm really curious what the 360's demographic breakdown is.  Anyone know of a source for hard numbers?

Judging by playing online, hearing chat I would say somewhere along the lines of 6-16 year old potty mouthed spoiled kids :D

In all honesty though I don't actually know of one but when it comes to my demographic I would say 9th grade to about end of college is the common demographic as time is more abundant. 

Then from maybe 27 till early 30's as time is again more abundant after getting situated in your job and maybe before kids, depending on when you have them. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users