What's new

Big Valley (1 Viewer)

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
There are two western series that I really liked growing up. One was MAVERICK and the other was, obviously, THE BIG VALLEY.

I know there have been a release of at least one season, but I have some questions.

Is the season released so far from syndicated episodes or are they complete episodes?

Anyone know if there are definate plans by any company to complete the series?

ANd does anyone have info on the new BV movie that was announced multiple months ago????

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
Official Region 1 releases have been done for Season 1, and Season 2, Vol. 1 only (the first half of season 2).
There is also an official German Region 2 release by STUDIOCANAL for the entire series by season (Seasons (Staffel)1, 2, 3, and 4) as well as a complete series 30 dvd set "Big Valley Full Edition" (all have the original English language option included). Sets can be purchased thru Amazon's UK, German or Italy sites but are pricey.
Wish they would continue the releases of the Region 1 seasons that left off with Vol.1 of Season 2. Also wish they would release complete season sets like the Region 2 ones.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The movie project that was announced way back in 2010 has long been cancelled. There was some sort of litigation against the director regarding money. You really have to dig deep in Google searches to find any information about it. As for the series on DVD, good luck convincing 20th Century Fox that there is market for them! If they're not going to release DVDs, they should at least consider putting them out on iTunes. I ended up recording all the unreleased episodes off ME-TV, even though they are time-compresses and look horrible due to the low bandwidth of the channel.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
My understanding was the movie was completed and then shelved in part because the director ended up going to jail before all post-production work was finished. But at any rate, wasn't there a veiled hint at one point that maybe this title could end up being restarted by Shout as part of the new deals they seem to be striking with Fox?

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
Jack P said:
My understanding was the movie was completed and then shelved in part because the director ended up going to jail before all post-production work was finished. But at any rate, wasn't there a veiled hint at one point that maybe this title could end up being restarted by Shout as part of the new deals they seem to be striking with Fox?
Yes, it was stated on a thread a few months ago that mentioned Big Valley and Peyton Place and the fact that one of them was going to be unstalled soon.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Dave Lambert (TSoD site) posted the news about S2 release date (Apr 8) from Shout/Timeless. Post is here

It hasn't been officially announced yet from Shout but the page is up at Amazon.

The only disappointment for me is I was hoping to get the news about the complete series set release. Perhaps that's coming down the road.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Jeff Willis said:
Dave Lambert (TSoD site) posted the news about S2 release date (Apr 8) from Shout/Timeless. Post is here

It hasn't been officially announced yet from Shout but the page is up at Amazon.

The only disappointment for me is I was hoping to get the news about the complete series set release. Perhaps that's coming down the road.
If this is the whole second season (30 episodes) and it is on five DVDs as reported, that's six episodes per DVD. I'd rather see it four episodes per DVD for a one hour show, to keep the bitrate up. Good to see the show unstalled in any event.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well it's about time! Now that this is unstalled from Purgatory all they have to do now is bring home the other stalled Four Star title, "Burke's Law" as well.

This has been one my Grail stalled titles for a long time and it just struck me as so wrong to see this stand along among unfinished 60s westerns.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
As long as Shout/TMG is going to release The Big Valley, they might as well go for a few other Fox westerns like Jesse James, The Monroes, Custer, and Lancer, and even many of those Four Star westerns as well!

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
So now it looks like I am gonna be able to get BIG VALLEY completed to have along side MAVERICK collection??

FANTASTIC!!!!

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Good news! Here's hoping we finally get the rest of the series. When these ran on Encore Westerns a while back, the prints looked very nice. Memo to Shout: Please pay attention to what FOX provides to you. Obtain the remastered, complete episodes, please!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Good news. I'm even ok with re-buying the 1st half of season 2 again since the price is low. I just hope the quality of the prints and discs does not drop any.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
And I recorded the rest of the series off Me-TV, which were time-compressed and looking very poor due to the channel's exremely low bit-rate. I will be more than happy to toss those discs for a legitimate release!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Randy Korstick said:
Good news. I'm even ok with re-buying the 1st half of season 2 again since the price is low. I just hope the quality of the prints and discs does not drop any.
Yeah, I just don't think they can do worse than Fox's flipper discs. Those jammed up on me quite a bit. Especially the Katherine Ross episode...I can't play it!!

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Yep, I'm buying this one for sure. I don't mind the slight double dip if it means we might get the final two seasons soon after.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Am I the only one that is greatly concerned with the disc count? Five discs for 30 episodes results in 6 hour long eps per disc, and that's awfully high. I can't help but think the video quality will greatly suffer if this information from Amazon is correct. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that, as in times past, this is just a proverbial "placeholder" with wrong info.

Gary "the price is insanely low for a Shout/Timeless season set too - but I'm not complaining" O.

P.S. Mea culpa on my part. I see that John mentioned the disc count up above.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I seem to remember that Timeless squeezed that many per disc with "Riverboat" though my memory might be playing tricks on me (can't access my set at the moment).

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Jack P said:
I seem to remember that Timeless squeezed that many per disc with "Riverboat" though my memory might be playing tricks on me (can't access my set at the moment).
Yep, that's correct. But with Big Valley I'd hope for a better bit rate and picture quality than what I saw with Riverboat.

Gary "it's hard for me to imagine the video quality not being hurt to some degree if the disc count is correct" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks