Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Big Valley

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 of 58 OFFLINE   bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2

Second Unit

• 440 posts

Posted December 06 2013 - 06:20 AM

There are two western series that I really liked growing up.  One was MAVERICK and the other was, obviously, THE BIG VALLEY.

I know there have been a release of at least one season, but I have some questions.

Is the season released so far from syndicated episodes or are they complete episodes?

Anyone know if there are definate plans by any company to complete the series?

ANd does anyone have info on the new BV movie that was announced multiple months ago????

#2 of 58 OFFLINE   cherisland

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted December 06 2013 - 01:51 PM

Official Region 1 releases have been done for Season 1, and Season 2, Vol. 1 only (the first half of season 2).  

There is also an official German Region 2 release by STUDIOCANAL for the entire series by season (Seasons (Staffel)1, 2, 3, and 4) as well as a complete series 30 dvd set "Big Valley Full Edition"  (all have the original English language option included). Sets can be purchased thru Amazon's UK, German or Italy sites but are pricey.

Wish they would continue the releases of the Region 1 seasons that left off with Vol.1 of Season 2. Also wish they would release complete season sets like the Region 2 ones.

#3 of 58 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,355 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted December 06 2013 - 02:42 PM

The movie project that was announced way back in 2010 has long been cancelled. There was some sort of litigation against the director regarding money. You really have to dig deep in Google searches to find any information about it. As for the series on DVD, good luck convincing 20th Century Fox that there is market for them! If they're not going to release DVDs, they should at least consider putting them out on iTunes. I ended up recording all the unreleased episodes off ME-TV, even though they are time-compresses and look horrible due to the low bandwidth of the channel.

#4 of 58 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,110 posts

Posted December 06 2013 - 05:09 PM

My understanding was the movie was completed and then shelved in part because the director ended up going to jail before all post-production work was finished.     But at any rate, wasn't there a veiled hint at one point that maybe this title could end up being restarted by Shout as part of the new deals they seem to be striking with Fox?

#5 of 58 OFFLINE   Kasey

Kasey

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted December 06 2013 - 06:10 PM

My understanding was the movie was completed and then shelved in part because the director ended up going to jail before all post-production work was finished.     But at any rate, wasn't there a veiled hint at one point that maybe this title could end up being restarted by Shout as part of the new deals they seem to be striking with Fox?

Yes, it was stated on a thread a few months ago that mentioned Big Valley and Peyton Place and the fact that one of them was going to be unstalled soon.

#6 of 58 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted January 08 2014 - 04:30 PM

Dave Lambert (TSoD site) posted the news about S2 release date (Apr 8) from Shout/Timeless.  Post is here  

It hasn't been officially announced yet from Shout but the page is up at Amazon.

The only disappointment for me is I was hoping to get the news about the complete series set release.  Perhaps that's coming down the road.

• Gary OS and Professor Echo like this

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#7 of 58 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 778 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted January 08 2014 - 05:07 PM

Dave Lambert (TSoD site) posted the news about S2 release date (Apr 8) from Shout/Timeless.  Post is here  

It hasn't been officially announced yet from Shout but the page is up at Amazon.

The only disappointment for me is I was hoping to get the news about the complete series set release.  Perhaps that's coming down the road.

If this is the whole second season (30 episodes) and it is on five DVDs as reported, that's six episodes per DVD.  I'd rather see it four episodes per DVD for a one hour show, to keep the bitrate up.  Good to see the show unstalled in any event.

• Gary OS likes this

#8 of 58 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,110 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 08:11 PM

Well it's about time!     Now that this is unstalled from Purgatory all they have to do now is bring home the other stalled Four Star title, "Burke's Law" as well.

This has been one my Grail stalled titles for a long time and it just struck me as so wrong to see this stand along among unfinished 60s westerns.

#9 of 58 OFFLINE   oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff

Second Unit

• 377 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 09:27 PM

As long as Shout/TMG is going to release The Big Valley, they might as well go for a few other Fox westerns like Jesse James, The Monroes, Custer, and Lancer, and even many of those Four Star westerns as well!

#10 of 58 OFFLINE   bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2

Second Unit

• 440 posts

Posted January 09 2014 - 12:10 AM

So now it looks like I am gonna be able to get BIG VALLEY completed to have along side MAVERICK collection??

FANTASTIC!!!!

• Jeff Willis likes this

#11 of 58 OFFLINE   cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,757 posts

Posted January 09 2014 - 05:33 AM

Finally!!!!!!  Great news

• Jeff Willis likes this

#12 of 58 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 569 posts

Posted January 09 2014 - 06:58 AM

Good news! Here's hoping we finally get the rest of the series. When these ran on Encore Westerns a while back, the prints looked very nice. Memo to Shout: Please pay attention to what FOX provides to you. Obtain the remastered, complete episodes, please!

• Jeff Willis and Ron1973 like this

#13 of 58 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,450 posts

Posted January 09 2014 - 07:32 AM

Good news. I'm even ok with re-buying the 1st half of season 2 again since the price is low. I just hope the quality of the prints and discs does not drop any.

• Jeff Willis likes this
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#14 of 58 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,355 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted January 09 2014 - 11:32 AM

And I recorded the rest of the series off Me-TV, which were time-compressed and looking very poor due to the channel's exremely low bit-rate. I will be more than happy to toss those discs for a legitimate release!

#15 of 58 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,391 posts

Posted January 09 2014 - 12:33 PM

Good news. I'm even ok with re-buying the 1st half of season 2 again since the price is low. I just hope the quality of the prints and discs does not drop any.

Yeah, I just don't think they can do worse than Fox's flipper discs. Those jammed up on me quite a bit. Especially the Katherine Ross episode...I can't play it!!
  • Jeff Willis likes this

#16 of 58 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 08:27 AM

16.98 on Amazon now!

• Jeff Willis likes this
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#17 of 58 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,129 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 02:27 PM

Yep, I'm buying this one for sure. I don't mind the slight double dip if it means we might get the final two seasons soon after.

#18 of 58 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,572 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 03:30 PM

Am I the only one that is greatly concerned with the disc count?  Five discs for 30 episodes results in 6 hour long eps per disc, and that's awfully high.  I can't help but think the video quality will greatly suffer if this information from Amazon is correct.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that, as in times past, this is just a proverbial "placeholder" with wrong info.

Gary "the price is insanely low for a Shout/Timeless season set too - but I'm not complaining" O.

P.S.  Mea culpa on my part.  I see that John mentioned the disc count up above. 

• Jeff Willis likes this
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#19 of 58 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,110 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 03:37 PM

I seem to remember that Timeless squeezed that many per disc with "Riverboat" though my memory might be playing tricks on me (can't access my set at the moment).

#20 of 58 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,572 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 03:42 PM

I seem to remember that Timeless squeezed that many per disc with "Riverboat" though my memory might be playing tricks on me (can't access my set at the moment).

Yep, that's correct.  But with Big Valley I'd hope for a better bit rate and picture quality than what I saw with Riverboat

Gary "it's hard for me to imagine the video quality not being hurt to some degree if the disc count is correct" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users