What's new

Help with roku 3 and home theater (1 Viewer)

nikeman

Agent
Real Name
Robert
I bought my dad a Roku 3 as a birthday gift. I went to hook it up for him this past weekend and was thinking it would take a couple seconds. Well, I can't figure out how to make the sound come from the surround sound speakers. The Home Theater box is a DVD player also and only has 1 HDMI OUTPUT port available. Its not blu-ray so the DVD part is connected via standard component cables (red, white, yellow) and I used a digital-in cable to connect the speakers to the TV. How it sits now, I had to connect the Roku directly to the TV using an HDMI cable port on the back of the TV. So, I can go to HDMI 2 or 3 (which ever one I used) on the TV and see the roku screen but in order to hear anything I have to go to a function not being used on the HT or just turn it off, then go to the TV settings and turn the TV speakers on. Its a huge PITA to do all this everytime they want to use the Roku and I'm hoping you guys could help me out. What can I do here to make it so that the sound comes from the HT speakers?

Would simply buying abother HDMI cable and connecting it from the HT box's HDMI output port to one of the TVs HDMI ports make it work?

Thanks!

EDIT:
They also have the Cox Contour cable box which is connected to the TV via HDMI also and it was installed by a tech. From what I noticed the cable box did not go through the HT box at all and the surround sound still works when watching cable. I'm off Friday and would love to be able to go over there and knock it out for them so they can actually enjoy the Roku and watch Netflix and whatnot.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Buy them a real home theater. Sounds like there is nothing you can do with the current one and a Roku 3. This is the 3rd post about the Roku 3 only having HDMI.

If you wanted to integrate with the current HTiB, you should return the Roku 3 and get a Roku 2.

There are, realistically, no other options. If you provide the model number of this HTiB, there might be another option you overlooked.

nikeman

Agent
Real Name
Robert
I will check that number tomorrow when I go over there. The Roku has an HDMI and a normal red, white, yellow component output. There are no extra ports for those on the back of the HDMI though.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

nikeman

Agent
Real Name
Robert
It is a roku 2. Does that make it possible to connect it to the ht speakers? They have a Sony DAV-**** I lost the number now but maybe the DAV helps. I'll get it again when I can.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Roku 2 makes this a bunch easier.

I've not seen any Sony DAV that didn't, at least, have an analog 1/8th jack(would be marked portable).

nikeman

Agent
Real Name
Robert
The ht has a port beside the digital port that is not being used. This may be what your talking about. if my memory is good its red or orange in color.

nikeman

Agent
Real Name
Robert
I was wrong. The ht model is HAV-HDX275. Its been about 2 weeks since I looked at it so give me a break. LolNow, how can I use the Roku 2 with the ht speakers on a Sony HAV-HDX275?

nikeman

Agent
Real Name
Robert
My dad must not of had his glasses on when he looked for me. I was right after all. Its a DAV-HDX275. Sorry about all the confusion.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Looking at this...
https://docs.sony.com/release/specs/DAVHDX275_mksp.pdf

IT says there is...
an analog input(doesn't say if red/white...or 3.5. Makes zero difference which)
A toslink(what they call "optical audio input")
A digital coax(always orange)
Digital media port(I'm guessing that is a USB)

and stupidly they say it has a "headphone input"...which it should be called a "headphone output"...

So...depending what the "analog input" is...you'll need this...
http://www.amazon.com/GE-22666-Ultra-ProGrade-Audio/dp/B0002UB2BO/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1387226612&sr=1-8&keywords=rca+cable
or this...
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Audio-Cable-Splitter-1-Mini/dp/B00004Z5CP/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1387226642&sr=1-10&keywords=rca+cable

nikeman

Agent
Real Name
Robert
schan1269 said:
Looking at this...https://docs.sony.com/release/specs/DAVHDX275_mksp.pdfIT says there is...an analog input(doesn't say if red/white...or 3.5. Makes zero difference which)A toslink(what they call "optical audio input")A digital coax(always orange)Digital media port(I'm guessing that is a USB)and stupidly they say it has a "headphone input"...which it should be called a "headphone output"...So...depending what the "analog input" is...you'll need this...http://www.amazon.com/GE-22666-Ultra-ProGrade-Audio/dp/B0002UB2BO/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1387226612&sr=1-8&keywords=rca+cableor this...http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Audio-Cable-Splitter-1-Mini/dp/B00004Z5CP/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1387226642&sr=1-10&keywords=rca+cable
The first link is the wire they have going from the ht box to the TV already. Not sure about the other wire you linked too. That being said should I be able to use it with the ht speakers as is if I connect the Roku to the TV via HDMI? This would be a lot easier if I could be in front of the box.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way...the Spec Sheet since it says..."Headphone input"...that might actually be correct. If it is an input, it is meant to connect your phone/tablet to it for audio purposes using a 3.5 to 3.5(in other words...mini-jack to mini-jack cable).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

nikeman

Agent
Real Name
Robert
There are component cables also going to the TV. Then an HDMI from the cable box to the TV. Should they get another hdmi for the ht? I'll verify all of this next time I'm there .

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And...first things first.

You are dealing with a HTiB. IF all the inputs go to the TV first, then TV into the Sony...you get 2.0 sound. Period.

Then you have to use Dolby Pro Logic.

If you want real, honest to god, 5.1 from the HT Box(STB) that has to have the toslink or digital coax connected.

With the Roku, since there is no HDMI connection on the HTiB...and there is no digital output on the Roku you bought(there are Roku that have them)...you are stuck with DPL with it...no matter what.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
nikeman said:
There are component cables also going to the TV. Then an HDMI from the cable box to the TV. Should they get another hdmi for the ht? I'll verify all of this next time I'm there .
Wait.

From the HT Box(can we call it a STB please?) they have HDMI, component and analog audio into the TV?
(shaking my head)...

nikeman

Agent
Real Name
Robert
schan1269 said:
Wait. From the HT Box(can we call it a STB please?) they have HDMI, component and analog audio into the TV?(shaking my head)...
No, just thatbanalog and the components. I remember having a hard time when they first got the system and the sound would not come through the speakers until I connected that analog wire. Now, as far as the Roku goes I don't care much about it have full surround sound. I just want to make it work through those speakers so they can leave the TV speakers off and save that headache. What do I need to do to make this work? Should I just replace the components with HDMI and then connect Roku to TV via HDMI also? Is this not going to be possible? Thanks for all your help so far BTW.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Everything "should already be" HDMI into the TV.

Your STB, does it not have HDMI?

How many HDMI does this TV have? (if it is an older set with only 1...I understand)

In an "ideal world"...

STB to TV via HDMI.
HTiB to TV via HDMI
Roku to TV via HDMI (assuming the TV has 3)

STB to HTiB via optical (STB should have one)
Roku to HTiB via analog

5 cables and done.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If the TV only has 2 HDMI...

STB to TV via component cable(no audio necessary)
Roku and HTiB both using HDMI

STB to HTiB via optical
Roku to HTiB via analog

Still only 5 cables.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If the TV only has 1 HDMI...

Roku to TV via HDMI.
HTiB and STB to TV via Component(HTiB has one)

Roku to HTiB via analog
STB to HTiB via optical

Still only 5 cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks