Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Day of the Doctor (Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 of 68 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,539 posts

Posted March 05 2014 - 09:36 PM

Unfortunately, the blu-ray in all regions is the 24p slowed-down version. The DVD should play at the correct speed, as it's shot on videotape and will be a straight PAL/50 to NTSC/60 conversion.

You'd think. I took a chance and got the R1 DVD, and sure enough, it's slowed down as well (just like Day). I presume they just used the Blu-ray master and downconverted.

I guess this is a losing battle. The slowdown drives me crazy (especially with regards to what it does to the music), but hardly anyone else, including BBC, seems to care.

"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#62 of 68 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,993 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted March 06 2014 - 10:29 AM

You'd think. I took a chance and got the R1 DVD, and sure enough, it's slowed down as well (just like Day). I presume they just used the Blu-ray master and downconverted.

I guess this is a losing battle. The slowdown drives me crazy (especially with regards to what it does to the music), but hardly anyone else, including BBC, seems to care.

I guess the only current hope for an "original speed" release is if the Region 2/PAL DVD plays correctly (I have heard it does not have the stereo sound "phasing" problems that the blu-ray does, but have not heard whether audio/video are slowed down or not).

Another possibility is the special edition reissue that's already been announced.

#63 of 68 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,252 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted March 19 2014 - 07:26 PM

This is happening on TV broadcasts, too. The US syndicated HD version of Doc Martin: Series six also suffers from this horrible 24p slowdown. It's apparent from the very first second, when the opening theme music is pitched quite noticeably lower than before. The pitch on several of the voices, especially Ian MacNiece, stick out like a sore thumb. It's obvious these episodes were simply converted and not pitch-corrected. It really takes me "out of the show" and makes me not to even bother watching the rest until the Region 2 DVDs come out in March. Episode 2 (they've only shown two so far) was especially bad in this regard.

Series five (the first to be shot in HD) wasn't affected by slow-down. Presumably it was either converted to 1080i/60, or was (shudder) upscaled from a PAL master. Either is preferable to what's being supplied to PBS affiliates this time out.

I hope people complain loudly about this to their local PBS stations. I did.

Let me know how the R2 Series 6 DVDs of Doc Martin turn out.

I just sat down to watch the R1 discs, and the episodes are running around 49 minutes (compared with the usual 45-46 minute runtime of previous seasons) and everyone is sounding quite ponderous and low. Maybe I'm just imagining things, or, it's another case of R1 shenanigans.

If this keeps up, I'm just going to have to import everything British. It seems to be the only way to get the correct versions of the shows.

And even then, you still have to hope they don't use the same slowed down master for the UK discs, as has been done with the various Doctor Who specials.

#64 of 68 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,993 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted March 20 2014 - 09:50 AM

Let me know how the R2 Series 6 DVDs of Doc Martin turn out.

...you still have to hope they don't use the same slowed down master for the UK discs, as has been done with the various Doctor Who specials.

Probably not, since this will be DVD (so, PAL/50hz), meaning it will make more sense to them to work from the existing 50hz masters than converting the "worldwide" one. However, Acorn is the new distributor in the UK (Momentum did the releases for Series 1-5), so since they also do the R1 discs, who knows?

UPDATE: I just checked the BBFC (film classification board) website, and they list series six as (approx.) 368 minutes (strangely, they lumped the whole series into one, rather than splitting the various episodes separately like they did in the past). If you divide that by eight episodes, it's roughly 46 minutes each, so it appears that Doc Martin Series six does, indeed, play at the proper speed on the Region 2 release.

Now, just to wait for the price to drop!

#65 of 68 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,252 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted March 20 2014 - 11:39 AM

Probably not, since this will be DVD (so, PAL/50hz), meaning it will make more sense to them to work from the existing 50hz masters than converting the "worldwide" one. However, Acorn is the new distributor in the UK (Momentum did the releases for Series 1-5), so since they also do the R1 discs, who knows?

UPDATE: I just checked the BBFC (film classification board) website, and they list series six as (approx.) 368 minutes (strangely, they lumped the whole series into one, rather than splitting the various episodes separately like they did in the past). If you divide that by eight episodes, it's roughly 46 minutes each, so it appears that Doc Martin Series six does, indeed, play at the proper speed on the Region 2 release.

Now, just to wait for the price to drop!

Yeah, 368 sounds right. The R1 release is approx. 384 minutes, which would add about 2 minutes per episode due to slowdown. So, R2, Here I come. I can't believe R1 got the latest season first, though.

I spared myself the slowdown debate for Call The Midwife S3 and just ordered it from the UK. Of course, I don't think that's even been aired in the US yet.

#66 of 68 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,993 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted March 20 2014 - 01:31 PM

Yeah, 368 sounds right. The R1 release is approx. 384 minutes, which would add about 2 minutes per episode due to slowdown. So, R2, Here I come. I can't believe R1 got the latest season first, though.

I wondered about that, too, but when I found out that it was being released by a new distributor, I figured that might have been the reason for the delay. It's the first time the US got any Doc Martin series release ahead of the UK (and the reason it was by so many months makes me thing even more so it's due to Acorn taking over distribution).

#67 of 68 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,539 posts

Posted June 14 2014 - 06:54 PM

Thought I'd bump this back. I've finally upgraded my system (Sony STR-DN840 and Pioneer S22 speakers), and decided to give this another spin. I made sure everything was set to decode properly, and it still sounds flanged and phased. So this does not seem to be a result of downconverting from 5.1 to 2.0.

Dialogue and sound effects are affected somewhat, but it's particularly when the music kicks in that it's most obvious. A few examples:

- About 3 minutes in, during the opening credits, as the Doctor is hanging from the TARDIS.

- At 54-55 minutes in, as the three Doctors explode out of the painting and walk into UNIT.

- At an hour and 10 minutes in, as the Doctors prepare to freeze Gallifrey.

- Pretty much any time we hear brass in the score.

I'm amazed at all the glowing reviews for the audio on this disc. I've only found a few message board posts here and there (besides mine) that mention the flanging, but to me it sounds terrible. Something like this should never have made it past QC (these issues also affect the R1 DVD).

I'm slowly accepting the 24p slowdown. I wish they wouldn't do it, but judging from other BBC releases, it doesn't look like that policy is going to change anytime soon. But there's no excuse for the audio sounding like this. If it's related to the slowdown, they apparently found a way to fix it, as Time of the Doctor sounds fine (aside from being at the wrong speed, of course).

No luck from the few times I tried contacting BBC; either they don't care, or I'm just going through the wrong channels.

Is anyone else in this thread hearing what I'm hearing? I'm wondering if I really did just get a bad disc.

"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#68 of 68 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,717 posts

Posted June 14 2014 - 07:22 PM

Hi Bryan -- I haven't heard anything like that on my disc, but in complete fairness, at the moment all I've had to view it on has been the speakers on my TV.  So I'm not exactly getting an audiophile level of presentation in the first place.  In a few weeks, I'm set to move into a new place, and I've got surround sound speakers and a receiver on order, and a girlfriend eager to rewatch it before the new season premieres, so I will definitely keep an eye out for those things then.

I don't know if this makes a difference or not, but I saw "Day of the Doctor" as part of the theatrical event the BBC put together.  Theatrically it had the same running length as the Blu-ray.  In between the theatrical run and the Blu-ray release, I did, umm, acquire a digital copy of the UK broadcast, which was encoded at 25fps.  I didn't really notice any huge differences from the different speeds, but there's something maybe slightly subconscious that I picked up... the UK/25fps version "feels" a lot faster paced to me, even though it's a mere two or three minutes shorter.

I absolutely love Murray Gold's score for these shows, and his "I Am The Doctor" theme for Matt Smith is just genius -- my favorite piece of music from the show, and I was really delighted when I read an interview with Murray Gold and he said it was his favorite bit of score that he had written too.  I think that's what I'll miss most with the new doctor.  I'd like to think if that favorite piece of music of mine was coming through distorted in some way that I'd hear it... but I also know that my TV speakers kinda suck, so it's hard to tell.

(Sorry for the non-answer.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users