Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

HOLOMAX (warning: image heavy!)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 OFFLINE   Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted December 03 2013 - 11:29 AM

After the interest in my library room in another thread on the HTF, I've decided to create a thread that is dedicated to my library and home theatre project.

In order to create my cinema room it was clear that I needed to have a large extension at the rear of the property. The extension would include an expansion of my kitchen, a new dining area, a utility area, my cinema room and the film library. The building work commenced in October 2012 and was finished around May 2013. I didn't have a home theatre consultant or firm involved in anyway, I fulfilled that role onsite, which was thanks to many years of reading the HTF and some sales experience working with high end A/V gear in the short lived Best Buy UK.

Here's the finished result:

The Library Room

Posted Image
P1020386 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

Posted Image
P1020384 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

Posted Image
P1020385 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

Posted Image
P1020390 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

There are a total of eighteen spotlights in the library room that run in three strips from the entrance of the room to the double door entrance of the HOLOMAX. They feature U.V. filters so may collection remains safe from harmful light.

HOLOMAX

My intention with the HOLOMAX from a design standpoint was to juxtapose the design of an old cinema with the cutting edge technology within.

Posted Image

The entrance to the HOLOMAX is inside the Library Room. I chose these doors in particular as the design reminded me somewhat of "filmstrips". The large brass door handles have "PULL" inscribed on them (might be difficult to make out on the picture). The door frame surround is custom made to create the feel of an old fashioned theatre. I based the design of the HOLOMAX sign on something in particular but more on that later... The sign is lit with LED strips.

Posted Image
P1020414 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

The screen is a 116" Seymour 1.2 Gain Centre Stage that was made in Iowa and shipped to the UK. There are four seats within the theatre with space for additional seating in front of the first row if needed. 

Posted Image
P1020415 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

Posted Image
P1020403 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

Posted Image
P1020401 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

Posted Image
P1020398 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

Posted Image
P1020399 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

There are lots of different lighting options to choose from which are all controlled (including the Library Room lighting) via a Lutron GRAFIK Eye Lighting Control System that you can see below (it's the black box):

Posted Image
P1020410 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

I have four set theme modes on it, 1.) is guests entering, 2.) guests seated (preshow), 3.) credits, 4.) my mode.

Posted Image
P1020411 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

Posted Image
P1020408 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

Posted Image

P1020420 by Marty2015McFly, on Flickr

The fire exit sign is based off a similar design found in Twilight Zone's Tower of Terror at Disney Studios, Florida.

Now, you may have been thinking that the name HOLOMAX seems somewhat familiar...

:D What can I say? I've been a huge Back to the Future fan my entire life and I think without it, I wouldn't be a film fan today. With 2015 just around the corner, I decided to make the HOLOMAX a reality.

Edited by Dale MA, December 03 2013 - 11:38 AM.

#2 of 33 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,484 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted December 03 2013 - 02:03 PM

Dale:

First, thanks for your thoughtfulness in creating a new thread dedicated to your HT so as not to distract from that other thread.

For one thing, it allows me to comment on your set-up...which I was hesitant to do in the other thread.

Wow!  Your attention to detail is much appreciated.

While I love the HT room itself, that library is something that most members of the HTF probably wish they had available in their own homes.  Disc storage is one of those recurring topics at the HTF.  it just won't seem to go away, because most people don't have the resources to come up with such a beautiful solution.  Congratulations!  :thumbs-up-smiley:

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#3 of 33 OFFLINE   Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted December 03 2013 - 03:18 PM

Thanks Mike! 

#4 of 33 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,135 posts

Posted December 04 2013 - 08:23 AM

My issue is three-fold-- disc storage, CD storage and (increasingly) vinyl storage. We're in a two-bedroom condo in LA and turned the closet in the spare bedroom/office into storage for my stuff, but there's still some definite spillover. When we buy a house, we're going to have to factor all of this into it! And that's not even mentioning all my comics that I keep in a storage unit with some of my books, etc. I am married to a very patient wife.

PS - Dale -- Very impressive! The lighting in the library is really nice.  

#5 of 33 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,836 posts

Posted December 05 2013 - 01:11 AM

To quote Jonathan Quayle Higgins, who should also be present somewhere in that collection:

Oh. My. God.

#6 of 33 OFFLINE   Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted December 05 2013 - 03:20 PM

My issue is three-fold-- disc storage, CD storage and (increasingly) vinyl storage. We're in a two-bedroom condo in LA and turned the closet in the spare bedroom/office into storage for my stuff, but there's still some definite spillover. When we buy a house, we're going to have to factor all of this into it! And that's not even mentioning all my comics that I keep in a storage unit with some of my books, etc. I am married to a very patient wife.

PS - Dale -- Very impressive! The lighting in the library is really nice.  

Thanks Mark.

To quote Jonathan Quayle Higgins, who should also be present somewhere in that collection:

Oh. My. God.

I'd love to check out the screening room in Robin's Nest! I bet that Robin Master's has quite the film collection...  ;)

#7 of 33 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,386 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted December 05 2013 - 04:28 PM

Epic!

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#8 of 33 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,562 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted December 05 2013 - 06:01 PM

Very nice. You appear to have put a lot of thought in getting the most out of a smaller space. It's quite gorgeous.

#9 of 33 OFFLINE   Bobofbone

Bobofbone

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted December 06 2013 - 09:54 PM

Very nice. The entrance through the library is unique. The enry door looks looks great. I like the way you arranged the lighting as well.

Very well thought out and done. I lke it.

#10 of 33 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,896 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted December 06 2013 - 10:06 PM

People always find it amusing what kind of seating I have in my theatre...unless you knew me...

Two Futons...

#11 of 33 OFFLINE   Demetrios Patsiaris

Demetrios Patsiaris

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted December 09 2013 - 09:34 PM

So amazing!  Thanks for sharing those pics!

#12 of 33 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,772 posts

Posted March 02 2014 - 10:53 PM

Beautiful!  One of these days, if I ever have the space, I may have to "borrow" a few of your ideas :)  The shelves in particular are beautiful.  I also loved how you personalized the theatre itself by branding it with a little easter egg (Holomax) from one of your favorite movies - I'd love to do some shootouts to my favorites in my future dream theater.

#13 of 33 OFFLINE   Volker

Volker

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted April 03 2014 - 05:17 AM

Dale, thank you for sharing the pictures of Holomax. It looks gorgeous ! Your pictures convinced me to go with double seats in both rows instead of trying to squeeze a 3 seater in the back. Could you also share a few more details on the size of the room and the equipment you have in it ? I have the feeling that your sizing is similar to the space I have available.

#14 of 33 OFFLINE   MikeGee

MikeGee

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted April 04 2014 - 07:53 AM

Nice home theater!  I looked but i didn't notice if you mentioned your room dimensions and screen size?I love your seats!

#15 of 33 OFFLINE   Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted May 01 2014 - 12:58 PM

Wow, thanks for all the kind words. This was definitely a passion project!

As for the room measurements, my memory was a little hazy, so I've just gone and remeasured. The room is 18 foot long, 11 foot wide. The screen is a 116" (diagonally) Seymour 1.2 Gain Centre Stage Screen.

Here's my equipment list:

[*]JVC DLA-X55 Projector
    [*]116" Seymour 1.2 Gain Centre Stage Screen
    [*]Onkyo TX-NR3010 Receiver 
    [*]KEF iQ90s x2 (Fronts)
    [*]KEF iQ60c (Centre)
    [*]KEF iQ30s x4 (Front Heights and Surround Back)
    [*]KEF Q800ds x2 (Surrounds)
    [*]Monolith-DF+ (Subwoofer)
    [*]Oppo BDP-93EU - BD Player (Region Free Modded)
    [*]Toshiba HD-EP35 - HD DVD Player
    [*]Darbee Darblet DVP 5000
    [*]Van Damme Concert Grade Speaker Cable
    [*]Fisual Easy Fix Banana Plugs
    [*]Sonos Play5 (Wireless Music System)
    [*]Harmony One Advanced Universal Remote
    [*]XpanD X105 Lite RF Glasses (optimised for JVC Projectors) x4
    [*]Plugable USB 2.0 10 Port Hub
    [*]AudioQuest Pearl HDMI Cables + Monster HDMI Cables
    [*]Lutron GRAFIK Eye Lighting Control System
    [/list]

The seats are Stressless Home Theatre Legends: http://international...ressless-legend They won an award for being the most comfortable home theatre chairs.

I also upgraded the projector mount recently to one that holds the projector flush to the ceiling, looks amazing. 

#16 of 33 OFFLINE   Type A

Type A

Supporting Actor

• 800 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted May 02 2014 - 10:34 AM

What are you running the Darblet at? Ive found 45 on hi def is about perfect for my RS60 but always curious what others use.
JVC DLA-RS60U3D & DaLite High Power 106"
Paradigm Studio V.5 20 (5) & ADP590 (2)  
Hsu VTF-2 MK3 (2) & MBM-12 MK2 (2)

Yamaha RX-A3010 & Emotiva XPA5
Oppo BDP93 & Darbee DVP 5000

*My Home Theater Photo Journal*

#17 of 33 OFFLINE   Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted May 02 2014 - 03:23 PM

What are you running the Darblet at? Ive found 45 on hi def is about perfect for my RS60 but always curious what others use.

Funnily enough... Hi Def 45! I've done hours and hours of fine tuning with my whole system. For a while there it was set-up at 50, but I've recently decided to take it down a notch. I feel it's a superb device, everyone should try one.

#18 of 33 OFFLINE   Andretti

Andretti

Extra

• 20 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted May 04 2014 - 06:11 AM

So you find this beneficial (the darblet)?  I've never heard or read about that before.

#19 of 33 OFFLINE   Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted May 23 2014 - 04:03 PM

I'd say so Andretti and I tend to like quite a pure, unmolested image. But set 45, the darblet enhances the image, making it more vivid without unwanted artefacts.

#20 of 33 OFFLINE   andySu

andySu

Screenwriter

• 2,166 posts

Posted May 25 2014 - 03:12 AM

I like the little curved feature at the front and all the tiny lights fitted around it and elsewhere around the room and wood features on between the darkly painted coloured walls.

What typeface and template you use to cutting out the letters for HOLOMAX. Was it made out of wood or plastic? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users