What's new

My Panasonic SC-PT960 sound system drops audio intermittently, and it's driving me crazy. (1 Viewer)

mace10

Auditioning
Real Name
Bennett
I've been wanting to get this resolved for a long time, now years later I'm finally looking into it. I have a Panasonic SC-PT960 5.1 DVD home theater system. I don't use it for the DVD's though, just as a sound system for my TV and all my various inputs (My TV by the way is a Samsung LN46A650). I have the Panasonic main receiver connected to the TV through an optical cable, so any source I'm using, whether it's my computer via HDMI or cable box via component, just automatically puts out sound through the Panasonic unit since it's directly connected to the TV itself. I don't want to bore you with too many of the details, but that's the gist of it.

Now the issue is periodically, quite random honestly, the audio on my Panasonic unit drops out for a good 3-4 seconds, then comes back to normal. This is occurring at the worst intervals too; just infrequent enough to where it's difficult to diagnose (maybe once every week or two), but just often enough that it really get on my nerves. And like I said, it happens seemingly at random. Further, it is something that occurs regardless of the source, so it can happen while playing Playstation, or it can happen while using my computer. sadly I'm unable to narrow it down to a source issue.

Thanks for bearing with me here. sorry to be so wordy. Hopefully by being this thorough I can help to resolve this problem quicker. Thank you so much for your feedback.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Do you have your sources set PCM or DD?

If DD that is more than likely the problem. The TV is trying to take in DD, change it to PCM(cause the TV can't pass DD) then spit it back out.

If you change all your sources to 2.0PCM(which is all you get anyway) it should alleviate the problem.

I deleted the other duplicate thread. Don't need two.

mace10

Auditioning
Real Name
Bennett
Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it. Do you happen to know how I can tell whether or not the source is trying to do Dolby Digital? Is that something I need to configure through the source itself (like changing a setting on my PC) or through the sound system itself?

Sorry for the double post, I'm relatively new at this.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your cable box should have a setting for PCM or DD.
Your computer, in the sound settings, should have a choice of 2.0 or 5.1.
Your Playstation has settings for PCM or DD/DTS.

Make sure all your settings are 2.0/PCM.

Should take about 3 minutes total to change your settings.

Users who are viewing this thread