What's new

Bought receiver.. now need advice (1 Viewer)

10ring

Grip
Real Name
Elmer
After a week long learning process, I bit the bullet and bought the Denon E-300 receiver. It seemed like a bargain at $279. But now I need advice to complete my first home theater with the best possible sound, while trying to keep the entire package around the $500 limit. Is it possible to get a decent subwoofer, center speaker, front & rear speakers for $220? I considered the Sony SS, DV-62CLRS and Dayton Sub-1000, but they pushed me way over my desired limit. Any good alternatives? (and no, I don't live near a sony store where I could seek used speakers.) Thanks for any advice you can give.

10ring

Grip
Real Name
Elmer
Not good. I live in the middle of nowhere and most craiglist items are a 2 hour drive, one way :(

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you want to get your feet wet and buy something you won't feel bad upgrading at a later date...and will more than settle you in now...

The Sony SS-B1000. Still under $70 pair.

The center, find a used one on Ebay(Sony no longer sells the SS center "new").

You might find the B1000 enough, for now, without a subwoofer anyway.

Then you can keep checking CL and Ebay for local stuff worth driving that 2 hours.

True story...
I once made a trek to the hinterlands of Utah(Monument Valley) and "might as well of been Canada" North Dakota(Minot Air Force Base) for two pairs of speakers.

Granted those speakers were the Magnepan Tympani and Apogee Centaur Major. Rented a Uhaul trailer and pulled it behind my Mustang GT convertible. Great little 9 day trek(well I made it take 9 days).

10ring

Grip
Real Name
Elmer
Update: I just bought the DV-62CLRS center speaker on Amazon. They are selling out fast, and with only a few left, I decided I better grab one while I can. Thus far, I have:
Denon E-300 receiver ($279)
Bic DV-62CLRS center ($105)

I hate to cheap out on speakers. I don't need the best, but don't want the worst either. When looking at front/rear speakers, is there anything in particular I need to pay attention to? I want to make sure they can handle the receiver. Do I need to pay attention to watts? Ohms? Dome? Cone?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Watts is irrelevant. You care about ohm and efficiency. Stick with BIC. even the older (original) V will work with the DV.

10ring

Grip
Real Name
Elmer
Two concerns with Bic.. The size (would like to get something 12" in height or less)....and the price (the DV62si are putting me beyond my price limit). Just curious, do you suggest Bic because I am getting a Bic center? Is the Sony B-1000 a better compromise?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes your front three speakers should be the same manufacturer, at least. Same line is the goal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-PAIR-OF-BIC-B-I-C-AMERICA-SHELF-SPEAKERS-V52-VENTURI-MADE-IN-USA-/131047174484?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1e83053154

V were made in the early 80s to the mid 90s. They are real wood veneer(till 1992) and made in the US.

BIC DV are from 1998(one of the first "non book" items sold on Amazon) to now. Made in China with veneer that makes no pretense over being anything but vinyl.

Drivers and crossovers are the same. (52 use an inverted dome tweeter with a guide, 62 use outward dome)

10ring

Grip
Real Name
Elmer
That puts me in a pickle. I can see why people by HTIB. It is too late to cancel my order with Amazon for the Bic center, the DV62si's are taller than what I want and I would really like to buy new. If I go with something other than Bic, what am I risking? If I stay with a Bic center and get a different brand front, will it still be better than a HTIB speaker system? Since a new Bic speaker won't fit where I want it to go, am I better off just returning the center and start from scratch?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
New speakers is one of the worst buying decisions you can make on a tight budget.

I would cancel the order on the 62center(if not shipped, no problem. IF it is, just send it back)

I'd start scouring Ebay(seriously. I would. That is my advice)

10ring

Grip
Real Name
Elmer
Do front speakers need to be in the corners of a room? Or can they sit to each side of the center? If they don't have to be in the corner, I might cough up the extra for the Bic fronts.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Speakers should be placed in an equilateral triangle.

Your distance from the TV, is how far you are away from them...and as far away from each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks