What's new

Munich Opera on internet (1 Viewer)

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
On Sunday Dec 1 at noon (in the US). It will also be on 3SAT (For people in Europe) later in the day.You can watch the opera on the internet the Munich "Frau Ohne Schatten" by Richard Strauss, the website is: www.bayerische.staatsoper.de/http://www.bayerische.staatsoper.de/866--~Staatsoper~bso_aktuell~aktuelles.htmlhttp://www.bayerische.staatsoper.de//tvhttp://www.bayerische.staatsoper.de/1248-ZmxhZz0xJmw9ZW4-~Staatsoper~staatsopertv.html%C2 English The times given are local time. US time is 6 hours diffence18:00 CET is 6PM CET is noon NYC timeThis last link or gives info also about later telecastsI saw the 2nd performance of the production which was not great or Euro trash but I have seen betterThe opera is great if it has a good production.It will have german and english subtitles

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
First opera I ever saw live. It was at the MET with Leonie Rysanek, James King; Karl Boehm conducting. Notwithstanding my lack of German and the absence of supertitles to aid my understanding of the plot, it was such a magical experience that I was hooked for life.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
bujaki said:
First opera I ever saw live. It was at the MET with Leonie Rysanek, James King; Karl Boehm conducting. Notwithstanding my lack of German and the absence of supertitles to aid my understanding of the plot, it was such a magical experience that I was hooked for life.
I think Karl Boehm is one of the best Wagner & R. Strauss conductors and have seen him many times here in Munich (and Vienna & Salzburg) Boehm lived in the Munich area. King was my favorite Parsifal & Siegmund & Lohengrin and King & Rysanek my favorite pair in Walkure (Boehm & Solti). Any Elekta with Boehm is great. His last recording (Electra on DVD) is with Rysanek as Electra (her first) and is worth having. The mother was Astrid Varnay (born swede and later American).She spoke with a Brooklyn accent. Boehm conducted often in Munich and Vienna with King & Nielson. When the Munich opera reopened in the 60's it was with Frau. One of the main roles of Ingrid Bjoner was in Frau. If one could not have Nielsen, Bjoner was great to have. Today there are not really any great Wagner singers.
Bjoner sang quite a bit in Munich.

Sad to say when King and Bjoner died there was no mention in American Record Guide. Bjoner died on the same day as Varnay.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I believe my second and last opportunity to enjoy Boehm at the podium was in Fidelio, with Jon Vickers and a young (and pregnant, I think) Hildegard Behrens.
I arrived in NYC in 1971 and had an aversion to opera. It was not until c.1977 that I was introduced to opera via Frau, and I made up for lost time. I heard so many (now) legendary singers. Did I know it then? Of course not. I was a neophyte. But I soon learned, and my memories remain.
BTW, I also enjoyed Karlheinz Boehm's film performances. I'm so glad he ended his days as a humanitarian.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks