What's new

Cutting the cable, starting over, pathetically clueless (1 Viewer)

I'm downsizing to a smaller apartment, and have finally parted ways with my beloved Panasonic HD CRT TV, and donated my fairly basic home theater system to a friend. I'm also stopping cable service. I've picked up the following new equipment, all of which is new to me, and I have a couple of questions:
Samsung PN43F4500
Martin Logan Soundvision SoundbarRoku 3Mohu Leaf HD antenna
1 Amazon HDMI cableHow will these things work together? My understanding is that the broadcast signal (if it can reach me in the canyons of Manhattan) will go from the Leaf antenna to my TV set. I then run an audio out (HDMI?) cable from the TV to the powered soundbar, and voila: vision and sound. Do I need any kind of amplifier, or is that about how it works?My understanding is also that the Roku will connect to my wireless internet, and allow me to stream Netflix and Amazon Prime and whatnot. Again, some kind of cable will connect the Roku to my TV, and the audio signal will pass through the TV to the soundbar - correct? Finally, I have ripped a large portion of my DVD library (but not all - anyone know a service?) to my computer (I have an Apple system, Apple to the core) (except I went with the Roku rather than AppleTV), and have a huge audio library that I'd like to be able to play without having to constantly plug my iPods (two full Classics) to the soundbar directly. Can I stream audio and video wireless from my laptop to the system as "configured" above?Thanks for any input and advice - I know this is incredibly basic, but I'm used to having a pile of components and switching sources through an A/V receiver and whatnot. I'm both excited about and dreading the change.Thanks!Jaze

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I don't know if you can go straight from an Apple computer, or if you need an ipad/ipod/iphone as a bridge(I use an actual computer HDMI connection).

But yes, what you've said...is what you do.

schan1269 said:
I don't know if you can go straight from an Apple computer, or if you need an ipad/ipod/iphone as a bridge(I use an actual computer HDMI connection).

But yes, what you've said...is what you do.
THANKS! Sorry to have disappeared - major disruptions with the impending move.I much appreciate the thumbs-up.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
My understanding is also that the Roku will connect to my wireless internet, and allow me to stream Netflix and Amazon Prime and whatnot. Again, some kind of cable will connect the Roku to my TV, and the audio signal will pass through the TV to the soundbar - correct?
If the Rouku supports it, you'll probably get better sound if you connect the Roku's audio directly to the soundbar via optical (and connect the video through HDMI).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.