-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Call of the Wild -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About Blu-ray Fox

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,350 posts

Posted November 29 2013 - 01:49 PM

William Wellman's 1935 Call of the Wild, with Clark Gable and Loretta Young, was the third filmed, the first in sound, and would appear to be followed by six, count 'em, six more.  The first -- 1908 -- D.W. Griffith.

Those who dislike film grain may not enjoy this exercise in Blu-ray, for Fox has done a superb job of replicating the original look of the film.  While no original negative survives, what we have is still a beautiful representation of the original, with very comfortable shadow detail, nice resolution, and crisp blacks and whites.

A quality production, that holds up well after almost 80 years.

Mr. Gable and Ms Young apparently got along well during the shoot, as their daughter, Judy Lewis, was born just three months after the film's premiere.

Image - 4

Audio - 4

Recommended.

RAH

• Lromero1396 and Davinchi like this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 25 Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,778 posts

Posted November 30 2013 - 01:51 AM

I do dislike film grain but as I've been putting up with it all my life, I'll probably buy this disc. Three elements I do like are William Wellman, Clark Gable and Loretta Young.

#3 of 25 Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted November 30 2013 - 12:36 PM

How stable is the image in terms of film movement? The DVD from what I remember had a noticeable amount of gate weave.

#4 of 25 Martin Zandstra

Martin Zandstra

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted December 01 2013 - 07:31 AM

I like a bit of gate weave, it reminds me that I'm watching (an old) film and not a modern, digital special effects extravaganza (which I also like....)

#5 of 25 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,350 posts

Posted December 01 2013 - 07:48 AM

I like a bit of gate weave, it reminds me that I'm watching (an old) film and not a modern, digital special effects extravaganza (which I also like....)

The problem with gate weave, is when it morphs from projection gate weave, to multiple dupe gate weave, with things moving in all directions...

which is precisely when our wonderful stabilization tools come into play.

RAH

• Lromero1396 likes this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#6 of 25 Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted December 06 2013 - 05:44 PM

The problem with gate weave, is when it morphs from projection gate weave, to multiple dupe gate weave, with things moving in all directions...

which is precisely when our wonderful stabilization tools come into play.

RAH

I can somewhat understand liking gate weave, but to me it only serves as a distraction which should be dealt with wherever possible. 

• FoxyMulder likes this

#7 of 25 Steen DK

Steen DK

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted December 06 2013 - 11:46 PM

I read the book to tatters when I was a kid, but I'd no idea this movie even existed... Does anyone know if it differs wildly from the book (which would probably upset me)?

#8 of 25 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,350 posts

Posted December 07 2013 - 12:19 AM

I read the book to tatters when I was a kid, but I'd no idea this movie even existed... Does anyone know if it differs wildly from the book (which would probably upset me)?

Have not read the book. Does the main character look like Clark Gable?

RAH
  • FoxyMulder and Lromero1396 like this

#9 of 25 davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Second Unit

• 325 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted December 07 2013 - 02:04 AM

RAH

No, he's some kind of Saint Bernard cross.

#10 of 25 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,816 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted December 07 2013 - 05:06 AM

My review touches on the differences between the two. You can find it here.

#11 of 25 Steen DK

Steen DK

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted December 07 2013 - 02:18 PM

RAH

Oh, in my head all male characters in books look like Clark Gable. Ok, maybe only half - the other half look like Errol Flynn. (That seems worthy of a topic: Where the hell are Errol Flynn's films on blu-ray?)

My review touches on the differences between the two. You can find it here.

Ah, thanks.

#12 of 25 David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,438 posts

Posted December 07 2013 - 04:07 PM

It does differ pretty wildly. I don't think there's ever been a faithful film of the book.

#13 of 25 Steen DK

Steen DK

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted December 08 2013 - 03:37 AM

I'm sure it would be hard to do. I seem to remember that much of the book is sort of written from the perspective of the dog. Or am I way off?

(I really should read it again.)

#14 of 25 David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,438 posts

Posted December 08 2013 - 06:59 AM

Yes, the book is entirely about the dog, sort of like how Black Beauty is all from the POV of the horse.

#15 of 25 Ray Faiola

Ray Faiola

Stunt Coordinator

• 57 posts
  • LocationEllenville, NY

Posted December 13 2013 - 07:38 AM

Can we assume this is the edited reissue???

Classic Film Scores on CD

http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

#16 of 25 Eric Vedowski

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit

• 293 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted December 13 2013 - 11:32 AM

According to the Greenbriar Picture Shows site:

"Fox's Blu-Ray of this is just out, and the news is good. For the first time since 1935, we're given a complete version of the Clark Gable-Loretta Young starrer directed by William Wellman. Reviews haven't emphasized it, but this Call Of The Wild restores a Code cut that had gone missing in all prints and previous DVD/video releases."

http://greenbriarpic...01_archive.html

• ahollis likes this

#17 of 25 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,510 posts

Posted December 13 2013 - 12:56 PM

According to the Greenbriar Picture Shows site:

"Fox's Blu-Ray of this is just out, and the news is good. For the first time since 1935, we're given a complete version of the Clark Gable-Loretta Young starrer directed by William Wellman. Reviews haven't emphasized it, but this Call Of The Wild restores a Code cut that had gone missing in all prints and previous DVD/video releases."

http://greenbriarpic...01_archive.html

Looks like Amazon didn't mess up its runtime information after all.  Most other websites listed the same runtime as the DVD, and I even jokingly posted about it in the original preorder thread, but I scarcely expected it to actually be true.  Even the RAH assessment didn't mention it.

This is big news since 11 minutes of new footage has been added.  A pretty major breakthrough for this film and some deep gratitude for Fox for correcting since the common perception was that the cut footage was lost possibly forever.

• Robin9 likes this

#18 of 25 Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,411 posts

Posted December 14 2013 - 01:35 AM

This is great news. Since the film has been restored to its full running time and as this was the last  20th Century  Pictures feature before the merger  with Fox,  is the opening fanfare 20th Century Pictures or 20th Century-Fox ? The fanfare till now on all releases has been 20th Century-Fox  with the copy write on the title card saying 20th Century Pictures. The only time i have ever seen the 20th Century Pictures opening was on the Fox Movie Channel during a promo showing how the fanfare has morphed over the years.

#19 of 25 Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted December 14 2013 - 06:37 AM

There's a Japanese animated feature version of "Call of the Wild" from 1981 that's a lot closer to the book than any of the live-action versions, because it's told entirely from the P-O-V of the dog, Buck. It's an excellent film and I did a blog entry where I compared it to another animated version, from 1990. For some reason, it's been the most popular entry on my blog. Perhaps students who've been assigned the book are researching paper ideas. Here's the link:

http://briandanacamp...mated-versions/

I have the film on an old English-dubbed VHS and can only wish the longer Japanese version were available somewhere--with or without subs.

Here's a shot from it:

8251575227_eb2706016d.jpg

#20 of 25 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,510 posts

Posted December 14 2013 - 01:25 PM

Since the film has been restored to its full running time and as this was the last  20th Century  Pictures feature before the merger  with Fox,  is the opening fanfare 20th Century Pictures or 20th Century-Fox ? The fanfare till now on all releases has been 20th Century-Fox  with the copy write on the title card saying 20th Century Pictures. The only time i have ever seen the 20th Century Pictures opening was on the Fox Movie Channel during a promo showing how the fanfare has morphed over the years.

Checked out the blu-ray, and to my amazement the Twentieth Century Pictures fanfare and opening logo is indeed included.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About, Blu-ray, Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users