Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Desk Set -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About Fox Blu-ray

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 of 68 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,707 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted December 05 2013 - 10:25 AM

In 1957 Fox was releasing all their CinemaScope productions in stereo.

Was THE THREE FACES OF EVE in stereo?  I haven't watched the bluray yet, but I don't recall ever hearing stereo on this 1957 title either.  But that doesn't mean it wasn't originally released that way.  But maybe the original tracks don't survive.

#22 of 68 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,972 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted December 05 2013 - 11:15 AM

Was THE THREE FACES OF EVE in stereo?  I haven't watched the bluray yet, but I don't recall ever hearing stereo on this 1957 title either.  But that doesn't mean it wasn't originally released that way.  But maybe the original tracks don't survive.

4-track stereo according to IMDb.

#23 of 68 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,869 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted December 05 2013 - 01:24 PM

4-track stereo according to IMDb.

The Fox Blu-ray I reviewed last month was DTS-HD Master Audio 1.0.

#24 of 68 OFFLINE   Mikey1969

Mikey1969

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted December 08 2013 - 10:57 AM

As a librarian and a Hepburn fan, I've always felt a fondness for this film and consider it one of their best. The 'Scope framing (which was even wider on the laserdisc than the DVD) doesn't do the film any favours though, IMHO.

#25 of 68 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,419 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted December 12 2013 - 10:30 AM

Look what Santa's sleigh just delivered to my doorstep:

20131212_131903.jpg

I'll be watching Desk Set tonight. The rest should keep me busy until well after the holidays!

#26 of 68 OFFLINE   Stefan Andersson

Stefan Andersson

Stunt Coordinator

• 240 posts

Posted December 17 2013 - 12:09 AM

Screen caps over at DVD Beaver show a heavy blue bias: http://www.dvdbeaver...re2/deskset.htm

I know caps are dependent on monitor settings and subjective judgment, therefore often untrustworthy.

But due to the marked difference in color between the SD and the Blu, I thought I´d bring it up for discussion.

#27 of 68 OFFLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,338 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted December 17 2013 - 06:57 AM

Screen caps over at DVD Beaver show a heavy blue bias: http://www.dvdbeaver...re2/deskset.htm

I know caps are dependent on monitor settings and subjective judgment, therefore often untrustworthy.

But due to the marked difference in color between the SD and the Blu, I thought I´d bring it up for discussion.

You can find a (brief) discussion of this on the other DESK SET thread.  I think the blu-ray looks wonderful

http://www.hometheat...e-for-preorder/

#28 of 68 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,419 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted December 17 2013 - 04:50 PM

The only blue I noticed was in Katharine Hepburn's eyes. The rest of the film looked magnificent! :)

#29 of 68 OFFLINE   Fabian Kusch

Fabian Kusch

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted December 18 2013 - 05:18 AM

For those interested in an HD version of this film similar to the color scheme of Fox's 2004 SD release, there's a German Blu-ray out that uses an older transfer.

Borders are a little more cropped than on the Fox BD, compression could be better and there are a few specks and dirt particles noticable.

I have no idea which color grading represents the original theatrical presentation but to my eye the older version is a bit more pleasing than that current transfer.

#30 of 68 OFFLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,338 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted December 18 2013 - 07:11 AM

I have no idea which color grading represents the original theatrical presentation but to my eye the older version is a bit more pleasing than that current transfer.

With all due respect, I couldn't disagree more.  I think the film benefits tremendously from the wider array of colors in the new transfer.

I think the beaver caps LOOK so blue because they are printed on the page right BENEATH the older transfer (which was completely lacking in blue of any kind) and, since we see that one first, our brain screams BLUE!!!!!! when we get to the new images.  If you look at the caps posted lower on the page (without the benefit of comparison to the brown/green older shots) they appear well balanced and NOT overly blue because our brain isn't playing tricks on us.

In motion it is (at the risk of sounding TOO gay, as if that's even possible) a truly delicious transfer IMO and I highly highly recommend it for anyone who's a fan.

#31 of 68 OFFLINE   Fabian Kusch

Fabian Kusch

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted December 19 2013 - 01:17 AM

I was just pointing to an HD alternative for those disappointed with the current Blu-ray.No need to get excited...

#32 of 68 OFFLINE   BIANCO2NERO

BIANCO2NERO

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted December 19 2013 - 05:44 AM

I think the beaver caps LOOK so blue because they are printed on the page right BENEATH the older transfer (which was completely lacking in blue of any kind) and, since we see that one first, our brain screams BLUE!!!!!! when we get to the new images.  If you look at the caps posted lower on the page (without the benefit of comparison to the brown/green older shots) they appear well balanced and NOT overly blue because our brain isn't playing tricks on us.

In motion it is (at the risk of sounding TOO gay, as if that's even possible) a truly delicious transfer IMO and I highly highly recommend it for anyone who's a fan.

I personally think it looks much too blue in the Beaver caps, but I know what you mean about the comparison making it seem more marked. There do not appear to be any pure whites in any of the grabs and the reds are too muted it seems  me.

#33 of 68 OFFLINE   bestactor

bestactor

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted December 26 2013 - 04:40 PM

This movie gives me endless pleasure and I always love watching it from November through December. It's another chapter of corporate office life. The bluish tinge is what I remember from seeing good quality 35mm/scope showings. Many Fox '50's scope films set in offices share this look. I don't know if it was the sets or lighting. 

#34 of 68 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,129 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted December 26 2013 - 05:08 PM

Very happy with the Blu-ray transfer.

#35 of 68 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,707 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted December 26 2013 - 05:52 PM

I'm very happy as well to have one of my favorite films properly presented on bluray.

#36 of 68 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,487 posts

Posted December 27 2013 - 09:13 PM

With all due respect, I couldn't disagree more.  I think the film benefits tremendously from the wider array of colors in the new transfer.

I disagree.  When I watched the Blu-ray, I did so independent of any other screenings - I'd not seen the DVD in years - and knew nothing of any potential blue emphasis before I viewed it.

And I thought "BLUE!!!" when I watched the Blu-ray.  This had nothing to do with screen caps or my mind convincing me I was seeing something I was looking to find - it just looked blue.

Whether or not the image is SUPPOSED to look blue is up for debate, but according to my eyes - seeing it on my TV in my house - it shows a definite teal emphasis...

Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#37 of 68 OFFLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,338 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted December 27 2013 - 09:17 PM

Whether or not the image is SUPPOSED to look blue is up for debate, but according to my eyes - seeing it on my TV in my house - it shows a definite teal emphasis...

okay...

#38 of 68 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,754 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted December 27 2013 - 10:12 PM

Well, for those who know what these Fox films looked like back then, the color on the Blu is very pleasing and very true.  For those who don't and prefer faded and completely washed out images, then some other transfer will be more pleasing.  Blue was very prevalent in dye transfer prints of the time - this is not conjecture, it's fact, and I love this Blu-ray for looking like it should :)

#39 of 68 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,754 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted December 27 2013 - 10:13 PM

As you can see in my post above, we are in complete agreement regarding the color.  

#40 of 68 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,754 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted December 27 2013 - 10:15 PM

I disagree.  When I watched the Blu-ray, I did so independent of any other screenings - I'd not seen the DVD in years - and knew nothing of any potential blue emphasis before I viewed it.

And I thought "BLUE!!!" when I watched the Blu-ray.  This had nothing to do with screen caps or my mind convincing me I was seeing something I was looking to find - it just looked blue.

As opposed to what other kind of emphasis - yellow?  :) The image looks like a dye transfer print of that era, just as it should.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users