-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ The Ghost and Mrs. Muir -- in Blu-ray

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,393 posts

Posted November 29 2013 - 01:22 PM

POPULAR

Every time I've viewed Joseph Mankiewicz' 1947 The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, I'm reminded of William Dieterle's Portrait of Jennie.  Both magnificent films.

Fox's new Blu-ray is a solid affair.  I'm presuming that a fine grain master has survived, as the overall look and textures, as captured in the image harvest have everything going for them.

Wonderful detail, perfect grain, and levels of gray that are magnificent.  Shadow detail, so important to this film, is intact.

Charles Lang, who was responsible for the cinematography, created one of this major works with this film.  Half a century behind the camera, from 1923 to 1973, Mr. Lang photographed some of the greatest films of the era.  He won a single Academy Award, for A Farewell to Arms in 1932, and was nominated for seventeen others.  Might that be a record?

As is the norm, I'm not going to discuss the film, but will simply suggest that all who have not had the pleasure of enjoying it, do so.  Quickly.

Great commentary track, by the way by Greg Kimble and Herrmann archivist Christopher Husted.

Image -  4.75

Audio - 5

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

• ahollis, lukejosephchung and Lromero1396 like this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 18 atcolomb

atcolomb

Stunt Coordinator

• 180 posts
  • LocationChicago Area

Posted November 29 2013 - 06:16 PM

Also great performances from Gene Tierney & Rex Harrison and one of Bernard Herrmann's best scores.

• Ken Koc likes this

#3 of 18 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,558 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted November 29 2013 - 07:03 PM

Tierney's most delicate performance.  I never fail to be moved by the ending. 

• Ken Koc likes this

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#4 of 18 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,716 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted November 29 2013 - 08:51 PM

Earlier this year Fox asked for your help to Voice Your Choice and pick the title from each decade you would most like to see released to Blu-ray.  Over 42,000 people cast 80,000 votes.

To thank Home Theater Forum members for their participation in the Voice Your Choice promotion, Fox has put together three bundles on Fox Connect with special pricing: 1) Buy all 8 titles on Blu-ray for just $75. 2) Buy the four first place titles for $40.  3) Buy the four second place titles for $40

Here are the titles by decade:

1930s: Jesse James (1st place), Call of the Wild (2nd place)
1940s: Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1st place), Black Swan (2nd place)
1950s: Carmen Jones (1st place), Desk Set (2nd place)
1960s: North to Alaska (1st place), Undefeated (2nd place)

• Mark_TB likes this

#5 of 18 WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted November 30 2013 - 06:30 AM

I love this film! Since it's my Mom's favorite film, maybe I'll buy 2 copies.

#6 of 18 Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted November 30 2013 - 06:36 AM

Earlier this year Fox asked for your help to Voice Your Choice and pick the title from each decade you would most like to see released to Blu-ray.  Over 42,000 people cast 80,000 votes.

To thank Home Theater Forum members for their participation in the Voice Your Choice promotion, Fox has put together three bundles on Fox Connect with special pricing: 1) Buy all 8 titles on Blu-ray for just $75. 2) Buy the four first place titles for $40.  3) Buy the four second place titles for $40

Here are the titles by decade:

1930s: Jesse James (1st place), Call of the Wild (2nd place)
1940s: Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1st place), Black Swan (2nd place)
1950s: Carmen Jones (1st place), Desk Set (2nd place)
1960s: North to Alaska (1st place), Undefeated (2nd place)

Will there be another Voice Your Choice promotion in 2014?

#7 of 18 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,716 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted November 30 2013 - 10:18 AM

Will there be another Voice Your Choice promotion in 2014?

Its up to Fox to announce, but I wouldn't be surprised ;)

#8 of 18 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,650 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted November 30 2013 - 12:59 PM

I'm really hoping these movies sell well.  Having a voice in what is released is a great way to be involved in the process.  Every studio should be doing it.  I'd be very interested to see what titles get on the next list if there is one in 2014. 

#9 of 18 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,883 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 30 2013 - 01:07 PM

I know of one or two dozen titles I'd like to suggest for consideration.

#10 of 18 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,843 posts

Posted November 30 2013 - 01:41 PM

Its up to Fox to announce, but I wouldn't be surprised ;)

I sure hope that they can do something about Poor Little Rich Girl.

• WadeM likes this

#11 of 18 Todd J Moore

Todd J Moore

Second Unit

• 320 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted December 01 2013 - 04:41 PM

I know of one or two dozen titles I'd like to suggest for consideration.

*cough*Inferno in 3D *cough*

• WadeM and bujaki like this

Viewing a 3D movie in 2D is kinda like viewing a Scope movie in Pan and Scan.

#12 of 18 dpippel

dpippel

HTF Premium Member

• 3,130 posts

Posted December 03 2013 - 06:33 AM

I've always loved the sense of whimsy and melancholy, colored with shadings of sadness and regret, that The Ghost and Mrs. Muir invokes. Maybe it's just me. Anyway, it's definitely one of my favorite films and I find the nuances of script and performance unusual for a movie from it's era. Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison are superb. George Sanders is at his smarmy best. The cinematography is gorgeous, and the Blu doesn't disappoint. Fox has delivered a very solid release. The only thing I found lacking are the extras - I would have loved something more meaty than two commentaries and a theatrical trailer.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#13 of 18 ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Supporting Actor

• 925 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted December 03 2013 - 07:47 AM

I've always loved the sense of whimsy and melancholy, colored with shadings of sadness and regret, that The Ghost and Mrs. Muir invokes. Maybe it's just me. Anyway, it's definitely one of my favorite films and I find the nuances of script and performance unusual for a movie from it's era. Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison are superb. George Sanders is at his smarmy best. The cinematography is gorgeous, and the Blu doesn't disappoint. Fox has delivered a very solid release. The only thing I found lacking are the extras - I would have loved something more meaty than two commentaries and a theatrical trailer.

...like Bernard Herrmann's touchstone score isolated, which was my principle reason for wishing that this title had gone to Twilight Time instead.   <_<

Beats me why Fox didn't go the distance with fans by including the IST. I mean, if ever that feature was justified...  

• BPullen likes this

#14 of 18 warnerbro

warnerbro

Stunt Coordinator

• 146 posts
  • LocationBurbank, California

Posted December 03 2013 - 08:44 AM

One of my favorite movies.  It has everything:  beautiful haunting score by Herrmann, beautiful cinematography, beautiful Tierney, and an ending that always chokes me up.  I never get tired of watching this.  There are screen shots on Beaver and it looks amazing.

• Walsh61 and BPullen like this

#15 of 18 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,221 posts

Posted December 06 2013 - 06:23 AM

Every time I've viewed Joseph Mankiewicz' 1947 The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, I'm reminded of William Dieterle's Portrait of Jennie.  Both magnificent films.

Fox's new Blu-ray is a solid affair.  I'm presuming that a fine grain master has survived, as the overall look and textures, as captured in the image harvest have everything going for them.

Wonderful detail, perfect grain, and levels of gray that are magnificent.  Shadow detail, so important to this film, is intact.

Charles Lang, who was responsible for the cinematography, created one of this major works with this film.  Half a century behind the camera, from 1923 to 1973, Mr. Lang photographed some of the greatest films of the era.  He won a single Academy Award, for A Farewell to Arms in 1932, and was nominated for seventeen others.  Might that be a record?

As is the norm, I'm not going to discuss the film, but will simply suggest that all who have not had the pleasure of enjoying it, do so.  Quickly.

Great commentary track, by the way by Greg Kimble and Herrmann archivist Christopher Husted.

Image -  4.75

Audio - 5

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

Not a fan of the second commentary from Jeanine Basinger and Kenneth Geist?

Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#16 of 18 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted December 06 2013 - 08:15 AM

I haven't listened to Kenneth Geist's commentary since I purchased the DVD, but I recall being irritated by the mild distain he seemed to have for the film, viewing it as something of a necessary chore Mankiewicz had to endure in order to become a reputable director.  He seemed to dismiss it as something of a "chick flick" in a most derisive way.  Naturally, as a major fan of this film, he didn't earn any points with me.

#17 of 18 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,371 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 27 2013 - 07:55 PM

I finally got around to watching this fine film again on BD.  What a treat, I hope to view it again with the Kimble commentary in the near future. 

• Walsh61 likes this

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#18 of 18 nealg

nealg

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted February 10 2014 - 09:00 PM

Just received today in my package of Fox Connect 50%-off sale discs. I put my old dvd in first to remind myself how it looks, and then I popped in the blu-ray. In a word...

STUNNING! I'm sitting here now, shy of 20 minutes in, and it is remarkable. Right up there with the best B&W blu-ray transfers I have seen. The dvd transfer was a little shaky, but the blu is rock solid.

Tierney is beautiful, and close-ups reveal her every eyelash. I'm listening to the 5.1 track first, just to enjoy Herrmann's music.

What a thrill it is to have one of my favorites in this quality. How incredible it is that today's technology makes this possible; how fortunate we (film fans) are to live in these times.

I voted for this title in Voice Your Choice. Thanks, Fox! Keep 'em coming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users