Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

first home theater

Hardware

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Right Hand Leftie

Right Hand Leftie

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted November 29 2013 - 06:24 AM

I'm considering my first flat screen TV for my living room but from what I understand, the sound on most aren't that great. I don't know the first thing about a/v equipment and would really appreciate any advice.
My current set up is a TV, a series 2 TiVo & a cable box. I know that I'll have to upgrade my TiVo in order to be able to get HD from it as well as my cable box. I'm not an audiophile so top of the line is not really what I'm looking for. I'm really looking for a good, simple all in one kind of unit that will be adequate for my 17 x 20 living room and be able to do it on a tight budget. Beyond that I'm not sure what questions I should be asking or what specificationsi should be looking for. I'm also not opposed to picking up a nicer older used system off eBay or something if I know what I should be looking for.
Any advice is much appreciated.

#2 of 8 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,611 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted November 29 2013 - 08:28 AM

What is a "tight budget". 

I'm trying to keep myself on a tight budget in not spending more than $1200 on a new AVR(mostly because HDMI 2.0 is on the horizon).

But a list of your sources(Wii? VCR? gaming of any kind? Ipad/ipod? Android? PC?)

It is possible to spend no more than $600 on the A of the AV, and not having anything to be ashamed of.

#3 of 8 Right Hand Leftie

Right Hand Leftie

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted November 29 2013 - 09:57 PM

We do have a Wii. I did forget to mention that one. Other than that, its doubtful I'll ever connect the phones/tablets to it. Right now its looking like we are going to be getting a TV in approx the $400 range...40"ish or so. So to me a tight budget would not be spending more on sound than I am on a TV (ideal for me would be in the $250 range). I guess if you boil it right down to it, is there an entry-level all-in-one home theater system package (which comes with all the speakers you need for surround sound and a receiver) or whatever you need to complete the package?

If there is a good system out there that may even be a few years old I'm not opposed to looking on eBay since I know people will sometimes tend to trade up as they go.

#4 of 8 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,611 posts

Posted November 29 2013 - 11:02 PM

If you only want to spend $250, stick with 2.0.

A 42" plasma is out there around $400. I wouldn't touch a 40" LCD.

#5 of 8 Right Hand Leftie

Right Hand Leftie

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted November 30 2013 - 08:33 AM

Good to know. Thank you for the advice. Why not on the 40 LCD?

#6 of 8 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,611 posts

Posted November 30 2013 - 09:04 AM

At that price the only thing you can find are off brand LCD.

To get the same "almost quality" picture in LCD requires 1.5 times the cost.

$400 plasma=$600 LCD

$600 plasma=$900 LCD

When you hit $1500 in plasma then it takes 2 times the price in LCD to be the equal.

Ergo, a $2500 plasma=$5000 LCD.

#7 of 8 Right Hand Leftie

Right Hand Leftie

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted November 30 2013 - 06:10 PM

From my reading that's what it sounds like and that plasma is the way to go. I appreciate your thoughts and advice very much.

#8 of 8 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,611 posts

Posted November 30 2013 - 06:15 PM

If you live near Alco stores, they have(had???) a 42" LG for $380...

http://www.alcostores.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hardware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users