Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Problem with Yamaha RX-V1

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   marianswell

marianswell

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted November 28 2013 - 12:11 PM

Hi Guys,

i just bought the RX-V1 on ebay and a few of the speaker channels don't seem to work. I never owned a receiver, so i'm a total newbie in this universe..

When i run the "Test" mode, in which the speakers receive a noisy signal one after the other, the only channels that work are MAIN LEFT, CENTER and REAR CENTER. None of the other channels produces any sounds. All the channels are set to +/-0db.

Down here is an image, showing what i just described, with green working, and red not working.

Do i do something wrong?

Thanks for helping out!! M

yamahaRX-V1.jpg

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,481 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted November 28 2013 - 06:59 PM

How many did you hook up?

Did you do speaker set-up?

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   marianswell

marianswell

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted November 29 2013 - 01:09 PM

How many did you hook up?

Did you do speaker set-up?

hi,

actually i tried to hook all the 6 speakers+subwoofer at the same time, and then i used one single speaker on every channel, one after the other.

always with the same result (as shown in the photo - red is not working).

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted December 14 2013 - 05:32 PM

Nice unit, I used to have one.

You might try connecting a short RCA cable between the left and right “Main In” and “Main Out” jacks.  As for as the “Front” and “Rear (Surround)” speakers, those probably have to be enabled in the menu. 

As the signal moves from one channel to the next, is there a pause in the sound for the ones that aren’t working? If there is a pause, that means something’s definitely amiss with that channel.  If it skips certain channels, that means they have not been enabled in the menu.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   DeanR

DeanR

Second Unit

• 310 posts

Posted December 14 2013 - 06:39 PM

Nice unit, I still have one.  Have not used it in years.  Two or three times a year one of the channels would stop working.  Like Wayne suggested stick an RCA cable in the Main In” and “Main Out” jacks, problem solved. Plug it in pull it out.  This was a well known annoyance of this model. Great unit though.   If anybody wants to buy mine I would be willing to listen.....

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   marianswell

marianswell

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 05:00 AM

thanks for your help guys!

I'll give it a shot soon.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 08:01 AM

Actually I still have mine too, in an upstairs closet!

In years past Yamaha used jumper plugs that were inserted across the main in and out jacks, but I saw somewhere that with the RV-V1 they started using some kind of plug with a built-in disconnect instead, to eliminate the need for the jumpers, and that’s where the problem is.  If that does turn out to be the problem, you could just keep a cable patched across the main ins and outs and that should take care of the problem permanently. 

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   danieldimapilis

danieldimapilis

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted December 30 2013 - 01:21 PM

I have a similar problem. During the Test Tone, the Center and Left Rear speakers does not make a sound. I have set them in the speaker setup and I have also run the test using a different speaker. No sound.

Switching off the "Effects" button brings in the dialogue that should be coming out of the Center speaker, but now the receiver is in 2-channel stereo mode.

I will try the In/Out RCA's at the back. It seems there's none for the Rear L-R.

Is there such a thing as a "speaker fuse" for the RX-V1 which I can check inside? Or any other fuse that might have tripped causing the problem?

Thanks.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   danieldimapilis

danieldimapilis

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted December 31 2013 - 01:47 PM

I got the Left Rear speaker to work using the RCA-plug-in-and-out method. But still the Center channel doesn't work.

I also found out that the Center Channel works fine in 6.1 Input mode - wherein I put RCA cables to the 6.1 section at the back of the unit coming out from a DVD player.

So, it works in analog mode but not in digital mode.

I tried putting an RCA cable connecting the Center In and Center Out. Again, It only works in analog mode but not in Digital mode.

I wonder what connection has the trouble inside the unit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users