Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need reliable 3D Blu-ray player

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   rob kilbride

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor

• 711 posts

Posted November 28 2013 - 12:36 AM

I finally took the plunge and bought a 50 inch Panasonic Viera Plasma 3D Smart HDTV. My old 46 inch Sanyo 60Hz has an issue where there are horizontal lines flickering across the top of the screen so I need to replace it. I was surprised this TV is dying so fast, its only about 2 years old. My Sony BDP-S360 has basically been a nightmare. Several disks freeze up at usually just one point in the movie, but when I play it on my friends cheapo player, it plays fine. It won't play Biutiful or Clue at all. I have done all updates and it still won't even recognize them as Blu-ray disks. It has all the same DVD glitches that my old Sony DVD player had and even some cd's skip that play fine on other players. I would appreciate any recommendations for a quality, reliable 3D Blu-ray player, as reliable as possible for Blu-rays, DVD's and cd's. I just want a player that won't have me so frustrated so often as I have been with this Sony.

Edited by rob kilbride, November 28 2013 - 12:37 AM.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,448 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted November 28 2013 - 05:45 AM

If you want one you'll have for a while...Oppo.

Otherwise, I've never had issues with Panasonic or LG. The only LG I've had though was an original profile 2.0 that had an on-board hard drive. Those were fabulous(I sold it cause I wasn't using its featurrs).

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,565 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 28 2013 - 05:55 AM

I swear by Panasonic Blu-ray players. And their DVD upconversion is second-to-none since that's of importance.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted November 28 2013 - 05:56 AM

I have a question.

Where is your blu ray player located, do you have it in a cabinet and is there much space between the top and sides, i have found that players really need room to breathe or they can heat up substantially and then you get freezing and other reliability issues.

I would also suggest an Oppo if you can afford it, alternatively i would also suggest a Panasonic, i'm not that keen on LG or Samsung when it comes to blu ray players due to issues with calibration when using some of those players.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,021 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted November 28 2013 - 07:12 AM

I finally took the plunge and bought a 50 inch Panasonic Viera Plasma 3D Smart HDTV. My old 46 inch Sanyo 60Hz has an issue where there are horizontal lines flickering across the top of the screen so I need to replace it. I was surprised this TV is dying so fast, its only about 2 years old. My Sony BDP-S360 has basically been a nightmare. Several disks freeze up at usually just one point in the movie, but when I play it on my friends cheapo player, it plays fine. It won't play Biutiful or Clue at all. I have done all updates and it still won't even recognize them as Blu-ray disks. It has all the same DVD glitches that my old Sony DVD player had and even some cd's skip that play fine on other players. I would appreciate any recommendations for a quality, reliable 3D Blu-ray player, as reliable as possible for Blu-rays, DVD's and cd's. I just want a player that won't have me so frustrated so often as I have been with this Sony.

Depending on how much money you want to spend will determine your final decision.  I have the Oppo 93 and 103 players with both region free modified.  I love them to death, but I do have three Panny players too.  I use two of the Panny's to access some internet functions in my bedroom and main HT setups as well as another player is in my home office HT setup which I use to listen to commentaries while I'm multi-tasking.  Panasonic makes good BD players.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   rob kilbride

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor

• 711 posts

Posted November 28 2013 - 10:34 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys! It seems like I should get Panasonic or Oppo. I do have plenty of space for the player to breath and because it freezes up in the exact same spot, I don't think it is overheating. My theory is that it sometimes has trouble buffering during the layer change, but I'm not sure. It had an issue where it would freeze up after a certain amount of time on a few of the Rocky blu-rays, which I could avoid if I periodically paused it. I also thought this seemed like a buffer issue. Anyway I'm done with Sony for now. Back in 99 Sony was the only player I could find which didn't have glitches left and right with various disks. That's why I stuck with them so long even if the players didn't last that long.

Also, did I make a good choice on the TV? Amazon reviews were mostly very positive. I've read that plasmas are favored by HT enthusiasts and wanted to get one before they are discontinued. And I read a question someone posted about priming plasma TV's because they are more vulnerable to burning in of images during the first 200 hours. Is it true that I should leave it on for 8 or so days and If so I would appreciate any advice on how to avoid any stationary images that could get burned in.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   rob kilbride

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor

• 711 posts

Posted November 28 2013 - 10:50 AM

Is the only difference between the DMP-BDT230 and the DMP-BDT330 4K upscaling?

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted November 28 2013 - 11:49 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys! It seems like I should get Panasonic or Oppo. I do have plenty of space for the player to breath and because it freezes up in the exact same spot, I don't think it is overheating. My theory is that it sometimes has trouble buffering during the layer change, but I'm not sure. It had an issue where it would freeze up after a certain amount of time on a few of the Rocky blu-rays, which I could avoid if I periodically paused it. I also thought this seemed like a buffer issue. Anyway I'm done with Sony for now. Back in 99 Sony was the only player I could find which didn't have glitches left and right with various disks. That's why I stuck with them so long even if the players didn't last that long.

Also, did I make a good choice on the TV? Amazon reviews were mostly very positive. I've read that plasmas are favored by HT enthusiasts and wanted to get one before they are discontinued. And I read a question someone posted about priming plasma TV's because they are more vulnerable to burning in of images during the first 200 hours. Is it true that I should leave it on for 8 or so days and If so I would appreciate any advice on how to avoid any stationary images that could get burned in.

You don't have to worry about burn in on a modern plasma, image retention can happen but that goes away, just make sure your contrast is set correctly and sharpness is set very low, indeed on a Panasonic plasma and watching HD content you should set sharpness at zero, if i was you i'd buy the Spears and Munsil 2nd edition disc from Amazon and do a simple calibration of the set.

Get the Panasonic 230 model, the 330 model does have twin HDMI outputs and 4K upscaling, they are the only differences i can see, you don't need 4K upscaling as you don't have a 4K television.

Edited by FoxyMulder, November 28 2013 - 11:49 AM.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   rob kilbride

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor

• 711 posts

Posted November 29 2013 - 10:57 AM

Thanks FoxyMulder. I think I have a free Geek Squad visit, but I'm guessing this disk would be better? Any thoughts on Geek Squad?

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,074 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted December 05 2013 - 03:20 PM

The Panny plasmas are great at handling image retention. I accidentally left mine set on game mode while my son was playing XBox, and static elements in the corners of the screen appeared to have burned into those areas. I was mortified. However, approximately 6 months later, what was apparently burned in is gone, thanks to Panny's pixel orbiters. My panel is now properly calibrated, and works great.

Edited by Stephen_J_H, December 05 2013 - 03:20 PM.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users