Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Remember The Night updated version TCM Shop

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,529 posts

Posted November 27 2013 - 06:09 PM

TCM Shop is promoting a restored by Library of Congress new DVD of the classic Christmas movie.

I should have called this thread "Remember The Night New Restored Version at TCM Shop. "My title makes it sound like they changed the ending of the film or something.

Anyone have any information. Will the first discs be pressed?

http://shop.tcm.com/...31127_TCM_Vault

From the website:

Turner Classic Movies, Universal and the Library of Congress are proud to present this new DVD release of Remember the Night (1940), featuring—for the first time—a beautiful transfer in crisp black-and-white from an original negative preserved by the Library of Congress.

Screen icons Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray star in this heartwarming holiday classic, the first of four films to feature the legendary duo. Stanwyck plays a petty shoplifter on trial for swiping jewelry just before Christmas, while MacMurray is the Assistant District Attorney who sends her off to jail then suffers a crisis of conscience and bails her out. When he invites her to join his family for the holidays, a love blossoms between the two that will strain, but ultimately redeem, all parties. Featuring a wonderful supporting cast (Beulah Bondi, Sterling Holloway and Elizabeth Patterson), stylish costumes by Edith Head, a charming script by Preston Sturges and superb direction by Mitchell Leisen, Remember the Night (1940) is a timeless holiday favorite that can be enjoyed in any season.

I had the privilege of seeing this film at AFI theater in Silver Spring MD last week. It was great seeing it on the big screen with an audience.

Edited by Garysb, November 27 2013 - 06:23 PM.

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,836 posts

Posted November 27 2013 - 07:36 PM

This is the closest thing to a new Universal TCM product since January.  Does this mean that whole deal with Universal isn't dead or is this some sort of exception?  Regardless, this seems the first TCM/Universal product to get this sort of special treatment.

A little annoyed since I bought this when it first came out a few years ago.  Not sure who went through the trouble of restoring this, but I think a blu-ray would have made a better re-release.  I might pick this one up eventually but this might be a situation where I wait for the reviews first.  I was pretty happy with the first edition, though I'm sure this is much better news for those that didn't get the first edition of this.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,130 posts

Posted November 27 2013 - 07:43 PM

When I first saw this, I assumed it was the same old DVD that they were promoting for Christmas.  The link information does give a 2013 release date.  If anyone gets this, they'll have to let us know if it is any different.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 972 posts

Posted November 27 2013 - 10:39 PM

Dvd Beaver reviewed the new one, and I hope to send caps from the first release in the next day or so to help compare. I'm curious what the point is in re-releasing this after just a few years after the last, but then not popping for a bd to help sell copies to those that bought the original one.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Rodney

Rodney

Supporting Actor

• 558 posts

Posted November 30 2013 - 07:49 AM

I really enjoy this film and watch it every year. Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray work so well together, and Beulah Bondi is a joy as always.  I first saw this on Turner Classic Movies channel and immediately bought the first DVD back in November 2009. When I received the email from TCM Shop last Wednesday about a new Vault Release I immediately logged in and purchased it.

Yes, I wish this  was a Blu-ray release, but I am glad to double-dip for such a wonderful film.

-Rodney

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Jay*W

Jay*W

Second Unit

• 331 posts

Posted December 05 2013 - 07:28 PM

Does anyone know whether the remaster is a pressed disc?

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   RLane777

RLane777

Agent

• 40 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted December 08 2013 - 01:04 AM

I received my copy from TCM yesterday and I thought the quality was pretty good; although, I can't compare to the older version so I can't really say which one is better.

My blog - classic-movies-review.blogspot.com

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Jay*W

Jay*W

Second Unit

• 331 posts

Posted December 08 2013 - 09:29 AM

I received my copy from TCM yesterday and I thought the quality was pretty good; although, I can't compare to the older version so I can't really say which one is better.

Rick,Was it a DVD-R or a pressed disc?Thanks,Jay

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 972 posts

Posted December 08 2013 - 12:15 PM

I did send caps of the original release to Dvd Beaver, which have been added to his review of the recent disc.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   ScottHM

ScottHM

Second Unit

• 328 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted December 09 2013 - 12:45 PM

Was it a DVD-R or a pressed disc?

I got mine today. It's a pressed disc.---------------

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 788 posts

Posted December 09 2013 - 04:54 PM

Nice to see the comparison caps on Beaver.  The Library of Congress print is certainly a sharper transfer, but I suspect I'll just stick with my first edition.  If I liked the movie more I might bite, but I've only watched it one time since the initial purchase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users