Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Frozen 3D Bungle?!

Disney

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
587 replies to this topic

#141 of 588 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,166 posts

Posted January 31 2014 - 04:01 PM

Looks like I will be ordering the UK 3D version.

Pre-ordered it late last week along with 101 DALMATIANS, which came on Weds. From the UK. Screen Archives and TCM, please take a page out of Amazon.co.uk's book. 

#142 of 588 OFFLINE   Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted February 01 2014 - 09:52 AM

Perhaps Lori MacPherson has moved on, but I would encourage BVHE to continue to honor their previous commitment; from Disney's 2011 press release, and I quote:

“As our contemporary library of 3D content continues to grow, and the original artists and filmmakers meticulously 'dimensionalize' their work for release on the Blu-ray 3D format, we will be offering movie-lovers the most incredible in-home entertainment experience they will ever have,” noted Lori MacPherson, Executive Vice President and General Manager, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment. “In addition to offering new releases day-and-date in 3D and further cementing our leadership in the marketplace, we're thrilled that consumers will have the exclusive Blu-ray 3D experience of two of the most celebrated Disney animated features, THE LION KING and BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, in their homes.”

800-723-4763 (U.S.)

#143 of 588 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,962 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted February 02 2014 - 08:40 AM

I also ordered the 3D UK version.  I'm waiting to see if there's some new information between now and then before cancelling the US version.

#144 of 588 OFFLINE   Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,286 posts

Posted February 02 2014 - 09:59 AM

Perhaps Lori MacPherson has moved on, but I would encourage BVHE to continue to honor their previous commitment; from Disney's 2011 press release, and I quote:

“As our contemporary library of 3D content continues to grow, and the original artists and filmmakers meticulously 'dimensionalize' their work for release on the Blu-ray 3D format, we will be offering movie-lovers the most incredible in-home entertainment experience they will ever have,” noted Lori MacPherson, Executive Vice President and General Manager, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment. “In addition to offering new releases day-and-date in 3D and further cementing our leadership in the marketplace, we're thrilled that consumers will have the exclusive Blu-ray 3D experience of two of the most celebrated Disney animated features, THE LION KING and BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, in their homes.”

800-723-4763 (U.S.)

All Disney would have to do is remind you  that they are releasing the 3D version before the day-and-date of the 2D version by streaming it on February 25.  They are just very tight lipped about expanding the information about this smaller demographic test on the U.S. infrastructure because of consumer hostility and fears as a concern for greater public arousal.

Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

#145 of 588 OFFLINE   Craig_Ehr

Craig_Ehr

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted February 02 2014 - 11:41 AM

All Disney would have to do is remind you  that they are releasing the 3D version before the day-and-date of the 2D version by streaming it on February 25.  They are just very tight lipped about expanding the information about this smaller demographic test on the U.S. infrastructure because of consumer hostility and fears as a concern for greater public arousal.

No that wouldn't cut it for me. The press release is very obviously regarding "Blu-ray 3D", not streaming services. Unless and until the Mouse abandons the BD format entirely it just doesn't fly with me.

#146 of 588 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,549 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted February 04 2014 - 08:22 PM

So what's the story on the 3D version now? Is the retailer-exclusive 3D release cancelled? The UK release is the only one? Are they holding back the 3D version to try and get people to buy it twice?

#147 of 588 OFFLINE   Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,286 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 07:26 AM

So what's the story on the 3D version now? Is the retailer-exclusive 3D release cancelled? The UK release is the only one? Are they holding back the 3D version to try and get people to buy it twice?

No U.S. pre-order for a 3D release at this time.  Frozen 3D U.S. Streaming to begin February 25.  When asked and to my knowledge, Disney is giving no other information to date.

Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)

#148 of 588 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,598 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 10:40 AM

Well I'm still waiting for Rango 3D and haven't bought the 2D version to prevent double dipping (or its like $5).  Hopefully Disney won't do the same thing with Frozen 3D

#149 of 588 ONLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,546 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 05 2014 - 10:54 AM

I'm definitely willing to wait 'em out. I have plenty of other releases to keep me interested in the meantime.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#150 of 588 OFFLINE   Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,286 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 12:55 PM

Well I'm still waiting for Rango 3D and haven't bought the 2D version to prevent double dipping (or its like $5).  Hopefully Disney won't do the same thing with Frozen 3D

If I remember right, Rango was a 2D only theatrical release. :huh:   Don't remember a discussion about a 3D conversion or even better yet would have been a recapture of original elements like Pixar does to recreate their CGI films natively. :3dglasses:

Rio is a similar named title that was released in 3D.

#151 of 588 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,598 posts

Posted February 05 2014 - 01:38 PM

Okay, my bad.  I swear Rango was in 3D in the theaters and I find I am not the only one with this delusion.  Weird how so many people can think it was 3D in the theater and it wasn't.  Maybe there was talk of a 3D blu-ray release some time back and that was just a rumor and I converted the rumor to 3D theatrical release but no 3D blu-ray.

#152 of 588 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,534 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted February 05 2014 - 02:01 PM

Rango would be great in 3D.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#153 of 588 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,549 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted February 05 2014 - 07:35 PM

No U.S. pre-order for a 3D release at this time.  Frozen 3D U.S. Streaming to begin February 25.  When asked and to my knowledge, Disney is giving no other information to date.

Through what streaming service? I don't think iTunes supports 3D yet. 

#154 of 588 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,358 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted February 05 2014 - 09:47 PM

Most likely, VUDU or PSN. Both services support 3D streaming.

#155 of 588 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,479 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 04:23 PM

Malcolm,

I had to laugh when I read what you just posted.

Just for the hell of it, I put in Monsters vs. Aliens.

Holy !@#$%!

There is absolutely no cross-talk to be seen.  

Then I put in the other troublemakers, Dial M. For Murder and Hugo.

Couldn't see the crosstalk.  Just a hint of ghosting at the end of Hugo.  

Much worse on the Panasonic and LG plasmas.

There is something about this Samsung F8500...

It really does a better job with 3D than any display I have ever owned.

I recently read (might have been posted on HTF) that Panasonic and

Samsung have different ways of encoding their 3D.  It's apparent to

me that Samsung is a miracle-worker when it comes to titles that seem

to have cross-talk related issues on most displays.

Sorry to disrupt the thread with this -- will get back on track with Frozen --

but I needed to comment that Malcolm apparently knows what he's talkin' 'bout.

Ron, is your Samsung a plasma (I don't want to give up those deep blacks)? What model and size do you use? I might consider a purchase just to see DIAL "M" looking decent for once.

#156 of 588 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted February 23 2014 - 04:36 PM

Ron, is your Samsung a plasma (I don't want to give up those deep blacks)? What model and size do you use? I might consider a purchase just to see DIAL "M" looking decent for once.

I'm not Ron but that's a Samsung F8500 and it's 64 inch in size, it's being rumoured that Samsung will release a cheaper stripped down version of the F8500 later this year.  It's good to see plasma hasn't been abandoned by the manufacturers just yet.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#157 of 588 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 2,452 posts

Posted February 23 2014 - 11:32 PM

If you're holding them to that, better first make sure they CAN release them day-date.  What if--let's take a scenario, what if there's a disk problem?--they can't release the 3D?  Do they hold back their studio-tentpole mass-market 2D release that would've constituted one of their year's biggest sellers for the Easter family-video market?

Oh, and guess where I'm going with this one.

As pointed out in another thread, there's been rumors that in-house Disney Club retailers have already been told there were manufacturing problems with the 3D disk, and fans have similarly suspected that missing their big day-date rollout would mean a better rolled-out double-dip hype for the 3D version later this year.  If you're still on "They're being mean, greedy, and/or inscrutably plotting!" from last January, get with the program.

Through what streaming service? I don't think iTunes supports 3D yet. 

Vudu does and already has it for preorder. Possibly PSN Store too (although they don't preorder, so we won't know till then).

Strange, there sure doesn't seem to be a problem with the soft 3D master...

#158 of 588 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,562 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted February 24 2014 - 07:59 AM

They've been mis-manufacturing more than their fair share of titles (one is too many). Remember that big wave of catalog titles from 2012 and how many had to be postponed due to mastering errors? And those switched shots from The Little Mermaid? I suppose it's better than letting it get out the wrong way.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#159 of 588 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted February 24 2014 - 08:44 AM

Quality control on blu ray seems worse than ever, does no one actually look at these things, to name a few titles that have never been corrected, Hurry Sundown and The Big Country, both stretched and atrocious and Disney are also making mistakes too often.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#160 of 588 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,035 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted February 24 2014 - 08:52 AM

I don't buy that there are problems with manufacturing the 3D discs.  I would if it had been announced then postponed, not to mention there aren't any problems with the UK release (assuming it ships on time).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users