Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Frozen 3D Bungle?!

Disney

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
497 replies to this topic

#481 of 498 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,994 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted April 10 2014 - 04:16 PM

If I could change one thing about it, I would make those big eyes a scosh smaller.

I was in a sheet music store one day a few weeks ago, and I overheard two women talking about this film. One of them said she disliked modern Disney films because the characters' eyes were too big. But this isn't new. Has she watched Bambi lately? Or The Little Mermaid?

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#482 of 498 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 4,999 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted April 10 2014 - 05:06 PM

I was in a sheet music store one day a few weeks ago, and I overheard two women talking about this film. One of them said she disliked modern Disney films because the characters' eyes were too big. But this isn't new. Has she watched Bambi lately? Or The Little Mermaid?

Yes, it's not new, but it seemed like Frozen was just a little more. How about Beauty and the Beast? I don't recall the eyes being so big there.

But I still love the film.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#483 of 498 Jeff Brooks

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit

• 250 posts
  • LocationSugar Hill GA USA

Posted April 11 2014 - 10:14 AM

I just received my copy today. The 3d disc was a floater, so I am hoping for the best.

#484 of 498 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,053 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted April 13 2014 - 06:37 PM

I agree with you, Johnny. Thank you for pointing that out.

I just got my copy from the U.K. this afternoon. I watched the first 5 minutes of the film just
to see what everyone was talking about, then I went and watched the short, "Get A Horse."

The short is a lot of fun. Very clever. There are a lot of "pop-out" moments.

The beginning of the film, with the saw going through the ice has another "pop-out" moment.

...but none of that pop-out is major.

I don't want to bring down the enthusiasm of everyone. I wonder how many people have seen
what real pop-out should look like.

Forgive me for bringing this up over and over again, but everyone needs to see Chapter 3 of
IMAX: UNDER THE SEA. If not that, A TURTLE'S TALE (Region 2).

That is what major pop-out is all about. Major pop-out is when objects seemingly come so far
out of the screen that it hovers inches from your nose. Outside of the two titles I mentioned above,
nobody has done 3D pop-out, as well pronounced, in any major film that I am aware of.

Second best selections (not nearly as good) are A TURTLE'S TALE 2 (U.S.A.) or the ending
sequence to DESPICABLE ME or DESPICABLE ME 2.
(Available in the USA).

Even those titles have more prominent pop-out than anything I have seen thus far on the
Frozen 3D disc.

...not to say that the 3D doesn't seem to be exceptional. I was pretty taken back by the amount
of depth in Frozen. It looks spectacular. I hope to watch the whole thing tomorrow.

I just would like to give everyone an idea of how GREAT 3D pop-out should strive to be -- and
the only way to really know what it is all about, is to check out the titles I mentioned above.

I just get a little down when people call this major pop-out. Trust me, it's moderate.

...and my apologies for getting a little riled up about this. All of you know how much of a
3D advocate I have become and how disappointed I am with the direction Hollywood has
gone in making this format as entertaining as it could be.

That Mickey Mouse short had potential. The animators played it safe, in my opinion.

Tip:

Just for the level of pop-out, buying Under The Sea from Amazon might be the best
$23 you spend this month. Guaranteed you will be showing it off to your friends.

At Best Buy, there are a few 3D double feature bundles, one of which is IMAX Under The Sea/ IMAX Deep Sea for only $24.50.

Also picked up To The Arctic / Born To Be Wild 3D combo for the same price. Great deal.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#485 of 498 Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,102 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted April 13 2014 - 07:19 PM

POPULAR

I just received my copy today. The 3d disc was a floater, so I am hoping for the best.

That scratch-resistant coating they use on Blu-rays is amazing. All the Blu-ray floaters I've received are pristine, whereas the DVD floaters are scuffed up terribly.

• MatthewA, Josh Steinberg and TravisR like this

#486 of 498 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,994 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted April 14 2014 - 10:39 AM

I had the opposite problem; mine was a little snug in the case.

#487 of 498 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,861 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted April 14 2014 - 10:44 AM

I'm giving serious thought to renting Frozen 3D on VOD before I get my parents to pick up the title in the UK.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#488 of 498 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,994 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted April 17 2014 - 07:04 PM

I just got back from Best Buy and learned that Planes, the textbook definition of mediocrity, is available in a 2D/3D combo on Blu-ray. In the United States. Right now. But this billion dollar-grossing, Oscar-winning film isn't?

#489 of 498 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 4,999 posts

Posted April 17 2014 - 07:11 PM

POPULAR

I just got back from Best Buy and learned that Planes, the textbook definition of mediocrity, is available in a 2D/3D combo on Blu-ray. In the United States. Right now. But this billion dollar-grossing, Oscar-winning film isn't?

Ain't American marketing know how great? :)
  • cafink, MatthewA and GregK like this
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#490 of 498 SFMike

SFMike

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted April 23 2014 - 12:43 PM

Just a little more salt on our "Frozen 3D" wound. Here is a pic of the asian edition. Why is Disney marketing punishing the US? If they are worried about black market copies, why release in asia? 

L_g0028730830.jpg

#491 of 498 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,147 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted June 22 2014 - 11:13 AM

Super Synergy

"SUPER SYNERGY: Frozen will have extensive company-wide marketing leading up to the October 2014 3-D DVD/BluRay release. There will be support for Frozen across consumer product divisions, including videogames, electronics, toys, apparel, stationery, and home furnishings."

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#492 of 498 SFMike

SFMike

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted June 22 2014 - 04:45 PM

I guess we 3D lovers are just "super" special and they wanted something really special to drive up the price of the 3D version beyond what the rest of the world paid. They are to good to us.......really....

#493 of 498 John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted June 22 2014 - 05:50 PM

I already have it, and I WILL NOT be double dipping. 

• Johnny Angell and Mark Cappelletty like this

#494 of 498 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 4,999 posts

Posted June 23 2014 - 07:19 AM

I already have it, and I WILL NOT be double dipping.

+1
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#495 of 498 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,147 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted July 17 2014 - 01:25 PM

Frozen added to Starz On Demand 3D today but its only the CC version.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#496 of 498 TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 15,993 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted July 17 2014 - 02:02 PM

Cc version?
  • cafink likes this

facebook.com/whotony

#497 of 498 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,077 posts

Posted July 18 2014 - 06:11 AM

Close captions? That's the official CC.

#498 of 498 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,147 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted July 18 2014 - 06:37 AM

Yes, close caption. Usually they have two versions for each title, one with CC. Yesterday they only had the CC version for Frozen. 

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users