Disney

• Please log in to reply
499 replies to this topic

#241 of 500 Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,362 posts

Posted March 06 2014 - 10:56 AM

The songs are annoying, the story is nonexistent, the performers are miscast (Angela Lansbury was considered for the title role and, frankly, would have been more appropriate), and the tone mixes uncomfortable sentimentality and unnecessary mean-spiritedness. It never should have been made, and no, a remake would not be better. It already happened, anyway. If Julie had done My Fair Lady, Disney shouldn't have given Ms. Goff the time of day. Mary Norton was ten times the writer she was anyway.

Except that according to insiders who were there, Walt listened to the Brothers test out their songs for Mary Norton as an anti-Goff backup, and.....fell asleep at the meeting.

Were it not for David Tomlinson and Angela Lansbury, one might be inclined to agree.

And to drag this thread back kicking and screaming from the vulture-claws of childish petulance, I'd put even the worst Poppins song up against "Fixer Upper".

#242 of 500 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,485 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 06 2014 - 11:03 AM

Please tell me that you don't honestly believe that Academy members "punished" Ms Hepburn.

The lady had a sweet and lovely voice, but as hard as she tried, and she tried Very hard, she was not a professional singer. She was a beloved and extraordinary actress.

I don't know that Mr. Warner can be faulted for not giving the lead roll in a twelve million dollar production to someone, who at the time of casting, was a relatively risky investment. Place yourself in his shoes.

I wish more modern-day producers and directors would think twice before casting non-professional singers in musical roles. (And, for that matter, I hope the "let's record the singing live on set" experiment is over with.)

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#243 of 500 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted March 06 2014 - 02:13 PM

"Anyone who thinks MY FAIR LADY is good cinema, knows nothing about good cinema."

Ah, the internet, never change.
  • davidmatychuk likes this

#244 of 500 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,196 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted March 06 2014 - 03:23 PM

Except that according to insiders who were there, Walt listened to the Brothers test out their songs for Mary Norton as an anti-Goff backup, and.....fell asleep at the meeting.

Were it not for David Tomlinson and Angela Lansbury, one might be inclined to agree.

The story as told by Richard M. Sherman to Animated Views goes that he fell asleep during "Eglantine," but approved it by proxy in the similar-sounding "What's Wrong With That?" in The Happiest Millionaire. Walt approved "Substitutiary Locomotion," "The Old Home Guard," "With a Flair" and yes, even "Eglantine" before the Poppins rights finally came through. Not much is known about Mary Norton's connection to the film other that it being hands-off so they could make as many changes as Poppins and Chitty did to their respective books. I read the two original books; the movie is better, but the books are still worth reading.

At least "Fixer Upper" isn't obnoxiously redundant like "Step in Time." "Never need a reason, never need a rhyme?" Um, yeah, actually you do; that's what good songwriting is all about.

And to drag this thread back kicking and screaming from the vulture-claws of childish petulance

That's what I was doing. You don't even like Frozen, so what does it matter to you what form they release it in? And it is neither childish nor petulant to disagree with near-universal love and appreciation for a movie.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#245 of 500 Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,095 posts

Posted March 06 2014 - 08:10 PM

Okay, OKAY.  Back on topic. Is the UK 3D Blu-Ray going to have the same features as the US Blu-Ray, save for the lack of a digital copy? 

#246 of 500 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,762 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted March 06 2014 - 11:20 PM

Matt's 2D review has posted: http://www.hometheat...view=getnewpost

#247 of 500 Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,362 posts

Posted March 07 2014 - 05:12 AM

That's what I was doing. You don't even like Frozen, so what does it matter to you what form they release it in? 

3D ALWAYS matters.     :angry:

• MatthewA and John Maher_289910 like this

#248 of 500 Kenneth_C

Kenneth_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted March 07 2014 - 12:55 PM

Is there any indication that the Mickey Mouse 3D short will be included?  I hear 

it is absolutely tremendous for pop-out and worth the price of the disc alone.

Is the UK 3D Blu-Ray going to have the same features as the US Blu-Ray, save for the lack of a digital copy? 

A back cover image is available at Amazon Spain.

The 3D disc contains Frozen and "Get a Horse!"

The 2D disc shows all the same extras as the US Blu:

• "Get a Horse!"
  • Making of Frozen
  • Disney's Journey from Hans Christian Andersen to Frozen
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Music Videos
  • Teaser Trailer

• Mark Cappelletty and MatthewA like this

#249 of 500 Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,095 posts

Posted March 07 2014 - 02:33 PM

Thanks much! Good to know! 

A back cover image is available at Amazon Spain.

The 3D disc contains Frozen and "Get a Horse!"

The 2D disc shows all the same extras as the US Blu:

• "Get a Horse!"
  • Making of Frozen
  • Disney's Journey from Hans Christian Andersen to Frozen
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Music Videos
  • Teaser Trailer

#250 of 500 Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,511 posts

Posted March 07 2014 - 04:25 PM

This is really disappointing. I'm usually not too quick to buy Blu-ray 3D, but I was impressed by this film's use of 3D, so I was going to make an exception here.

Was the UK version re-edited in any way? I haven't heard anything, but that still happens occasionally.

"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#251 of 500 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,196 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted March 07 2014 - 05:33 PM

According to the BBFC, the film passed without cuts:

http://www.bbfc.co.u...ses/frozen-2013

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#252 of 500 Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,257 posts

Posted March 10 2014 - 11:39 AM

Thought I would mention here about what I stated on another forum when an enthusiast said:

Just thought I would mention this, but you can stream 3D content via the vudu app [on a PS4]. Watched Frozen 3D the other night, no problem.

It seems Sony and Disney and others in the industry want everyone to stream 3D.disappointed.gif

If I wanted to force the public to go from 3D BD media ownership to streaming it would be extremely smart and effective for me to issue next generation consoles without 3D Blu-ray capability and then release popular movies without BD 3D access (see: Disney's U.S. Frozen 3D, Sony's Stalingrad 3D [To Be Determined?]), but keep the 3D streaming capability to provide the same 3D content where current generated demand is developing via existing options.   Also, using the U.S. Frozen 3D stream release effectively by making it available sooner than the physical media release date.idea.gifthumbsup.gif

A great way to stack the deck if this were my business!whistle.gifshh.gif

Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

#253 of 500 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,964 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted March 10 2014 - 01:55 PM

My parents are going to England in April. If I can restrain myself that long, I'll just get them to pick it up for me. As for 3D streaming, this does NOTHING for those of us with limited bandwidth. My situation has improved considerably, but I shudder at the thought of attempting to stream Frozen (which will tax servers considerably due to its popularity) and not getting quality above 480p.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#254 of 500 SFMike

SFMike

Stunt Coordinator

• 114 posts

Posted March 10 2014 - 03:36 PM

I don't believe that Disney wants to promote 3D streaming with this lame brained move, I feel they want to end production of US 3D blu-rays for the simple reason they don't pull in enough profit to make the corporate bean counters happy. In the corporate world every little expense is looked at. This movie will make a billion dollars world-wide and next to that the miniscule profit to be made from we few 3D TV enthusiasts is probably not seen as reason enough to bother with the expense of another Blu-ray release version. Even if it pisses us off they probably feel the loss our revenue is a tiny drop in the billion dollar bucket.

I think Disney, with their lack of response in this manner has shown us that their days of 3D promotion in the US is over. It hasn't played out financially for them and with the drop in 3D attendance in the theaters this is seen as enough of a reason to get out of 3D as soon as possible. I feel the numbers created by the lame botched Blu-ray 3D release of "OZ" by Disney was used as corporate proof that 3D was no longer worth bothering with in the US and Frozen will not be finacially hurt by it's lack on home video. Save some dollars and cut the 3D blu-ray. Once the Asian demand drops it will end 3D production altogether.  This is my prediction....I hope I'm wrong.

#255 of 500 Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,362 posts

Posted March 10 2014 - 05:27 PM

I hope I'm wrong.

Good news:  You are.

(If it was ANY OTHER STUDIO, would technical problems and closed-mouth PR people be so hard to believe without "ulterior motives"?)

#256 of 500 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted March 10 2014 - 10:46 PM

"According to the BBFC, the film passed without cuts."

No kidding. :)

Sometimes the UK version can have a different voice actors (e.g. the voice of Harv in Cars, and some voices in "The Pirates! Band of Misfits").

#257 of 500 HTTVChannel

HTTVChannel

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted March 12 2014 - 02:09 PM

Has anyone else noticed that the bonus feature "Breaking the Ice: The Real Making of Frozen" has disapeared from the release?  I downloaded the digital version with iTunes extras and it wasn't included.  This makes me think they're saving all of the behind the scenes bonus features for an "Ultimate Collector's Edition" type of release that hopefully would include the 3D version of the film and the live concert the actors put on.  Just my thought.

#258 of 500 Mark Booth

Mark Booth

Supporting Actor

• 796 posts

Posted March 12 2014 - 02:20 PM

Reality:  3D never became as popular as the studios would have liked.  3D ticket sales have been steadily dropping for 2 years.  More and more audience members have grown tired of wearing glasses to see a movie.  3D televisions sales have peaked and started to decline as well.

I'd say that 3D is dying but, frankly, it was never really "alive" in the first place.  It's going the way of the red/blue anaglyph glasses of yesteryear.

Mark

#259 of 500 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted March 12 2014 - 02:29 PM

Well Mark, you're wrong. Saying (again) that "3D is dying" is just plain silly. 3D is "dying" when 3D films are not released on movie theatres and on Blu-ray. Fact is that both are available.

#260 of 500 Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,511 posts

Posted March 12 2014 - 02:30 PM

Reality:  3D never became as popular as the studios would have liked.  3D ticket sales have been steadily dropping for 2 years.  More and more audience members have grown tired of wearing glasses to see a movie.  3D televisions sales have peaked and started to decline as well.

I'd say that 3D is dying but, frankly, it was never really "alive" in the first place.  It's going the way of the red/blue anaglyph glasses of yesteryear.

Mark

And here I was finally starting to accept it in small doses. :)

"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users