What's new

Dennis Russel Davies complete Haydn symphonies $22.56 (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
If you are interested in a cheap set of Haydn symphonies.....The Dennis Russell Davies / Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra 37 CD set on Sony is being dumped by Amazon for $22.56.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NBS5NEI ordered a set yesterday and already it's so back ordered that Amazon warns that it won't arrive by Christmas.Normally I would listen to a set of recordings before telling other people about it, but with the severe back-ordering there may not be time if indeed Sony is closing out this set. Reviews are mixed. Your mileage may vary.- "London" Dennis, "Bear" Condi, and "Drumroll" Dukie

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Dennis,Thank you. Haydn is my favorite composer of the 'classic' period. I may purchase this set. :)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Rats. I was hoping you already had this set and could comment on the quality.

ArkivMusic claims to have it in stock for a few dollars more......

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I just received an email from Amazon, saying the expected delivery date is now by 11 December. I guess they found some.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I enjoy Haydn's symphonies, but I do not feel the need to collect multiple sets as i do with Beethoven, Mahler, Dvorak, et al. I used to have the Adam Fischer cycle, but sold it and bought the Dorati cycle when it could be had for less than $50. I really prefer 'old school' playing and conducting to today's 'authentic' approach. For the Paris and London symphonies I like Bernstein/NYP.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Now it's gone with the wind even at B&N.

Odd how familiar a great number of the works are to me.

I could swear the first movement of Symphony #88 has been used in some luxury German car commercials. MB, BMW?

I find this to be a decent set, especially for $22. Scott, did you end up buying this cheapo set?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Dennis,Hi. No, I have not yet picked this up. I do like complete sets of works, so it's still on my list. I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but Haydn is my favorite 'classic' period composer. So this collection is pretty much a 'must have' for me.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I see that Amazon has this set back in stock, but at a higher price. I guess Sony pressed a bunch more after this sold out in late 2013.

This is a great set even at the present $47 price (for 37 discs). Davies conducts in a more leisurely tempo - compared with say Bruno Walter in Beethoven as opposed to others. The sound is really top rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks