-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Official Playstation 4 Blu-Ray player Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,211 posts

Posted November 25 2013 - 07:31 AM

Since PS4 is out, could you give some impressions of how it performs as a Blu-ray player (NOT games)?

Based on this review it's not as good as PS3 at the moment (not before some firmware updates, that's):

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=12614

#2 of 5 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted November 25 2013 - 10:38 AM

Amd, who provides the graphics chip in both the xbox1 and ps4, hasn't put out finished drivers yet.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#3 of 5 AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted November 25 2013 - 10:16 PM

The blu-ray.com article sums it up nicely.

As a blu-ray player, it shows potential for firmware updates to make it a great player, but for the time being, I will be using my PS3 for blu-rays for the following reasons:

• You must use the DualShock 4 on the PS4, and besides not being as good as the dedicated PS3 remote, the light emitted from the controller is distracting when watching movies in a dark room.
  • Chapter skipping on the PS4 is slower, and puts its own display over that of the disc itself.
  • I think it has some audio sync issues with some titles (Braveheart seemed a little off) and I suspect this is more an issue bit-streaming lossless tracks (more prevelent on Dolby TrueHD).  I have to investigate this further.

Some nitpicks:

• I wish it displayed audio and video bitrates like the PS3, and bit-depths.
  • It only shows a generic disc icon on the PS4 menu.  During playback, it will show the disc art when chapter skippinn and seeking, so I know it can access it.
  • It defaults to turning on dynamic range control (but this only needs to be switched once), and blu-ray specific system settings are only accessible during blu-ray playback.  They are hidden in a menu reached via the "option" button on the controller.  Some can be switched on the fly, others (in a "settings" menu within the pop-up "settings" menu) will restart the disc if changed.

Playback was fine, the player was responsive (much better than most stand-alone players I have tried), and I did not notice the long load times the blu-ray.com article mentioned.  With a real remote and a few firmware fixes, I'd be very happy with this as my primary blu-ray player.

#4 of 5 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,211 posts

Posted February 13 2014 - 08:25 AM

Interesting test/article here:
http://www.eurogamer...er-media-player

PS4 takes the win over Xbox One when it comes to media player. But PS3 beats them both.
  • Sam Posten likes this

#5 of 5 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted February 13 2014 - 09:03 AM

Interesting test/article here:
http://www.eurogamer...er-media-player

PS4 takes the win over Xbox One when it comes to media player. But PS3 beats them both.

I would agree with this.  The media services in the PS3 dwarf anything on either new console

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users