What's new

Official Playstation 4 Blu-Ray player Thread (1 Viewer)

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
The blu-ray.com article sums it up nicely.

As a blu-ray player, it shows potential for firmware updates to make it a great player, but for the time being, I will be using my PS3 for blu-rays for the following reasons:

[*]You must use the DualShock 4 on the PS4, and besides not being as good as the dedicated PS3 remote, the light emitted from the controller is distracting when watching movies in a dark room.
[*]Chapter skipping on the PS4 is slower, and puts its own display over that of the disc itself.
[*]I think it has some audio sync issues with some titles (Braveheart seemed a little off) and I suspect this is more an issue bit-streaming lossless tracks (more prevelent on Dolby TrueHD). I have to investigate this further.
[/list]

Some nitpicks:

[*]I wish it displayed audio and video bitrates like the PS3, and bit-depths.
[*]It only shows a generic disc icon on the PS4 menu. During playback, it will show the disc art when chapter skippinn and seeking, so I know it can access it.
[*]It defaults to turning on dynamic range control (but this only needs to be switched once), and blu-ray specific system settings are only accessible during blu-ray playback. They are hidden in a menu reached via the "option" button on the controller. Some can be switched on the fly, others (in a "settings" menu within the pop-up "settings" menu) will restart the disc if changed.
[/list]

Playback was fine, the player was responsive (much better than most stand-alone players I have tried), and I did not notice the long load times the blu-ray.com article mentioned. With a real remote and a few firmware fixes, I'd be very happy with this as my primary blu-ray player.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Looking for a device for blu-ray, youtube, Amazon Vod, Netflix and watchespn.

I noticed that in FW 1.60 they seem to have improved DVD playback, and outputting 1080p/24 blu-ray, it seems to be a reference player. I guess the only issue is lack of an actual remote like the PS3.

Any of you still using this as your blu-ray player, and are you happy with it now? I know it has had several FW updates.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Thanks. I am also considering just getting the 160gb PS3 Slim. Not a fan of the super slim, and the PS3's can also download Vudu HDX movies as files instead of streaming.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
gadgtfreek said:
Any of you still using this as your blu-ray player, and are you happy with it now? I know it has had several FW updates.
Still using my PS3 for Blu-ray, DVD, YouTube, Netflix, Vudu, Amazon Prime, Crunchyroll, HuluPlus (both when I infrequently get free months), AND 3D Blu-ray. :cool:
I'm lured by the fact that it'll probably "all go" PS4 eventually (now that they can finally play Blu3D), but there's still nothing wrong with my 60G Fat from six years ago...How many X-Boxes can make that claim?

Like the old wartime days, though (and first-generation PS3's that went into overdrive when playing Blu's), I'm just waiting for the next CES, and holding out for a really new next-generation PS4 upgrade that doesn't catch fire.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Is there a 4K option for the PS4, or maybe the next hardware version of the PS4 comes out with a 4K capable drive? Gotta think that is coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks