What's new

OLED Prices Coming Down? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
OLED is expensive today due to a complex and expensive process to manufacture the panels because it requires a vacuum evaporation and shadow making techniques. This process is inefficient as it takes more time to make than any other display technology. The yield on the panels is also currently lower than traditional display panel.

However, a US company called YieldJet is aiming to disrupt the current process with a new system that essentially uses a giant inkjet printer that places OLED pixes on glass or plastic in a nitrogen chamber vs. the current way of placing ink on paper.

This process is capable of mass producing OLED panels.

This technology should help OLED TV's take off in 2016 with a substantial reduction in price. Let's see what the Japanese and Koreans do in streamlining their current tech.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Jim Mcc said:
2016 is a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG time away !!
No it isn't.

My plasma screen will still be going strong in 2016 so I have no interest in buying anything new until then anyway. My guess is that most potential buyers are in the same position. Let's all relax and see what happens.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Small minor correction...

YieldJet is the tech.
Kateeva is the company.

I wonder how their process is any different than DuPont's. Regardless, either one makes the current OLED from Samsung pointless.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Gregg Loewen said:
will it be able to do UHD rez ?

Yes.

http://news.oled-display.net/2013/kateeva-yieldjet-to-print-cost-effective-flexible-large-oled-tv-displays/
What are the limitations in resolution? Is this technology UHD ready? What is the largest size?
YIELDjet can provide sufficient precision for 4K x 2K displays at the 31” size and up (e.g. ~120 ppi), and a G8 system (2500 mm x 2200 mm – large enough to fit 6 x 55” TVs) is under construction in our facility.We are also developing an approach for inkjet printing much higher resolution displays (e.g. ~400 ppi) for mobile applications on YIELDjet by using novel pixel layouts more tailored to inkjet,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks