What's new

Blu-ray Review Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (Unrated Rich Mahogany Edition) Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (Unrated Rich Mahogany Edition) Blu-ray Review

Will Ferrell isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. When his brand of humor, or shtick, finds its mark, the results can be popular and successful. Elf is Ferrell’s most financially successful film, and along with Talladega Nights, marks his most popular. He is rarely inclined to stray too far from what he knows can work. Films like Blades of Glory, Step Brothers, Semi-Pro, and The Other Guys have all traded on a similar theme and the results can be mixed. Over the last several years, there have been sidesteps outside of his norm. The critically liked independent film, Everything Must Go, showed off a more nuanced performance (as did the less well-received Stanger than Fiction). Voice work in Megamind, guest appearances on The Office, 30 Rock and the incomparable Eastbound & Down (for which he also a producer), have given him additional venues to ply his humorous trade, and it has generally been a success.Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy has grown in stature since its theatrical release in 2004. A love it or hate it film, it has become something quite unique in the entertainment realm, enough to give rise to a sequel that almost no-one thought could actually happen, scheduled for a Christmas 2013 release. I find the film to be a superb comedic accomplishment with an assembly of strong comedic talent is almost legendary itself. A Best Buy exclusive since August 2010, Anchorman arrives on Blu-ray for wide release in a superb “Rich Mahogany” edition, with no less than three versions of the film in high definition.

Posted Image

Studio: Paramount

Distributed By: N/A

Video Resolution and Encode: 1080P/AVC

Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1

Audio: English 5.1 DTS-HDMA, Spanish 5.1 DD, French 5.1 DD

Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish, French

Rating: Not Rated

Run Time: 94 Mins (Theatrical) 98 Mins (Unrated)

Package Includes: Blu-ray

Standard Amaray inside Box

Disc Type: BD50 (dual layer)

Region: A

Release Date: 12/03/2013

MSRP: $26.98

The Production Rating: 4.5/5

“I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.”

Comedies come in all shapes and sizes. Slapstick, high-brow, low-brow, witty, sardonic, simple, obscure, self-referential, family friendly…I could go on, but you get the point. There has been every kind of comedy you could possibly think of and - as with every genre - there have been a fair share of hits & misses; successes & failures. Not every failure on the comedy front has sunk as it should have at the box office (Norbit anyone?) and not every comedy gem has found the box office success it deserves. Anchorman is very much an oddball, and a beautiful, clever, dedicated oddball at that. It found moderate success, financially speaking, and managed to please or perplex audiences in equal measure, but has since become a force of popularity unto itself. It’s a marvelous and quirky gem that is deserving of high praise.Will Ferrell is a very clever comedian. He hasn’t starred in very clever films in his cinematic career, but he is dedicated, original, and when he finds a character that he likes, invested completely in making that character come to life. Talladega Nights is a great example of that dedication and originality. The NASCAR themed film is genuinely funny and resonated with a wide audience. It found strong financial success, and helped solidify Ferrell as a comedic talent to watch. Anchorman is the progenitor of his tale of Ricky Bobby – and I think a much better film, and from his entire library of films, from A Night at the Roxbury to this 2012s The Campaign, is absolutely the best display of what he brings to the world of comedy.Let me tell you why.First, Anchorman has a premise. Set in the 1970’s, it exists in the chauvinistic world of Anchormen and is filled with hero worship and absurd rivalries between local stations. To men like Ron Burgundy, who knew nothing of political correctness, women had only one purpose, to look good. Ron’s comfortable existence at the top of the manly food chain, and his unfettered sexist attitude, hit a brick wall when he is unwillingly teamed with the beautiful and talented Veronica Corningstone, played by Christina Applegate, in what is easily her best onscreen performance.Secondly, the cast of characters assembled for the film features the lightning hot talents of Paul Rudd, David Koechner, Fred Willard, Vince Vaughn, and the unstoppable Steve Carell. Each character is unique, different in their comedic style, and comes with endless opportunities to be funny. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that the actors were given just the basic frame of what the scene was and then spent their time improvising the funniest ways to make that scene happen. The level of absurdity and comedy in some scenes reaches such a saturation point, that I can only marvel at the unrelenting hilariousness coming from the actors.Thirdly, the film is definitely for a grown up audience, especially its extended version. For years, comedy films had been sliding into an abyss of universally appealing, family oriented affairs leaving any hopes for edgier or more adult satisfying work languishing on the sidelines. I don’t know if Anchorman itself helped cinematic comedy turn the corner to bring us where we are today (with films like This Is The End and The Heat enjoying success just as films like 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked-Up, and Superbad did just a few years ago), but it serves at the very least as a solid rung on that ladder.Lastly, Will Ferrell pulls off comedy gold with his ludicrous, lovable, and laugh-out-loud funny Ron Burgundy. He manages to create a man so overwhelmingly sexist that it reaches beyond parody and into the realm of slapstick, but not with any of the traditional trappings of slapstick’s style of comedy. Anyone who enjoys his Ricky Bobby character, complete with assured self-confidence, carefree abandon for logic and social norms, and an utterly oblivious view of his own world, should easily enjoy the machine that is the chauvinistic Ron Burgundy. The film is rich with an outstanding comedy script and bevies of adlibs and improvised laugh-inducing scenes. The quality of talent appearing in cameos, such as Jack Black, Tim Robbins and Luke Wilson, also help to elevate this film beyond merely an average comedy.Adam Mckay’s directorial debut is confident, irreverent, hilarious, and at times genuinely bizarre, and the end result is quite possibly the best comedy from the McKay/Apatow legion of released. Anchorman is absolutely side-splitting.

Video Rating: 4/5 3D Rating: NA

Paramount Pictures presents Anchorman on Blu-ray in 1080p high definition (in 1.78:1 aspect ratio). Set in the 1970’s, The Legend of Rob Burgundy often has a somewhat muted tone capture the feel of era, but more often than I expected, the gaudy bright oranges and yellows (holdovers from the styling of the sixties) really seem to pop. Take the party scene where Ron Burgundy first meets the beautiful Veronica – his bright dressing gown, and the colors of the party, are bright and bold. And throughout the image retains the proper film look.The level of detail, while occasionally soft, is for the most part excellent. The pores on Will Ferrell’s face (which can be found often given the number of close-ups director Adam McKay features) are clearly visible, and the detail of the various materials, from rugs to jackets, are strong. With three versions of the film, the theatrical edition, the extended edition, and the “chaff from the wheat” edition, better known as Wake Up, Ron Burgundy: The Lost Movie, each presented in 1080p high definition, this release is just terrific.

Audio Rating: 4/5

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy isn’t the kind of film that you spin when your friends come over so you can show off the hi-def goods, but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t deliver the great soundtrack and constant onslaught of jokes in top notch form. Paramount provides a solid English 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio and it serves the film very well, with clear center channel performance delivering the wickedly funny and original lines, one after the other. The off-beat antics, including the very funny news team brawl, are handled comfortably in the surrounds and the LFE, while the well-placed score by Alex Wurman is well-handled throughout.

Special Features Rating: 5/5

Special features ported from the previously released DVD and HD-DVD versions are all included. Extras exclusive to the Blu-ray are noted with the *

Disc OneTheatrical and Extended editions (HD)Commentary with Will Ferrell and Adam McKay: There is no denying the commentary is unique and funny, but as far as providing any sort of valuable information on the process of making the film or the film itself, it is useless. So enjoy it for an extension of the Apatow/McKay/Ferrell brand of commentary and nothing else.‘Afternoon Delight’ Music Video (3:49): Ron Burgundy and gang serenade the world with an odd musical ode to daytime love making.Deleted Scenes & Extended Scenes (37:53): 36 high quality deleted scenes, many of which had me laughing as much as the scenes included in the final cut of the film (this includes additional cut scenes not available on the previous DVD or HD-DVD releases).Bloopers (7:45): The best part of these very funny bloopers is seeing Will Ferrell breach the façade of his seemingly impenetrable Ron Burgundy veneer.ESPN SportsCenter Audition (1:54): A fake audition tape that has the impudent and ignorant Ron Burgundy trying out for a presenter on ESPN.Disc TwoWake Up, Ron Burgundy: The Lost Movie (HD): The entire ‘lost movie’ presented in high definition for the first time. This is quite the gem and a genuinely intriguing inclusion, featuring a new narrative based on unused scenes or footage (and some footage that was used) from the film.Intro-Commentary with Will Ferrell and Aaron Zimmerman (12:00): Funny commentary/intro available over the opening of Wake Up, Ron Burgundy: The Lost Movie. *Raw Footage “Good Takes”: A wealth of takes, with spontaneous retakes and redelivery or lines here provides a good peak at the creative and comedic skills involved in trying on different versions for size. Buried among the takes are versions used and, as a result, we get to see the diamond in the actual (but funny) rough.PSA (3:41): 5 absurd Public Service Announcements from Ron BurgundyAwards Speech (3:12): Ron Burgundy gives award speeches at the Emmy’s.*“Afternoon Delight” Recording Session (2:58): Funny behind the scenes at the recording session with the actors cutting up and bantering.*AMC Loews Happy Birthday (3:15): Filmed to help Loew’s theaters celebrate 100 years (Loew’s was acquired by AMC theaters).*Interviews (10:14): Another funny skit of Ron Burgundy in an awkward interview with Rebecca Romijn shown at the 2004 MTV video awards, and interviews with Jim Caviezel and Burt Reynolds (Previously available with just the Rebecca Romijn interview).Cinemax: The Making of Anchorman (9:28): A more traditional behind the scenes look with interviews with the stars, producer Judd Apatow and writer/director Adam McKay. The real gem in here is the rehearsal and audition tape footage.Reel Comedy: Anchorman (8:29): This special feature comes from the Comedy Central ‘Reel Comedy’ program – a rather standard marketing tie in and less than impressive.A Conversation with Ron Burgundy (10:40): Will Ferrell in character talking to Bill Curtis on stage in front of an audience. One of the things that Will Ferrell does better than most is staying in character at all times, thinking and being funny as the person he is playing. I caught him on Conan O’Brian on the PR tour for the film and was impressed with his ability to ‘be’ the outrageous character.*Cast Auditions: Auditions from the cast members, including some great footage of actors reading for alternate parts from which they were cast, and alternate actors (like Amy Poehler and Maya Rudolph reading for the Veronica role).*Table Read (18:37): From June 2nd, 2003, a very funny cast table read of several scenes.Commercial Break (2:03): A series of home movie snippets behind the scenes as the movie was in production. A little disjointed and doesn’t really add up to much.Rehearsals (9:09): Footage from rehearsals as the actors feel out scenes.Playback Video (5:10): Throwaway, cutaway ‘on the spot’ news reports.Commercial Break (2:04): A short collection of behind-the-scenes snippets *Trailers (HD)The former exclusives that came with the Best Buy package, including the 32-page personal diary, written (or should I say scribbled) by Ron Burgundy, and a set of 12 trading cards, are included here.

Overall Rating: 4.5/5

Anchorman comes pretty close to being perfect and is certainly one of the most enjoyable comedies from the last 30 years. I can’t believe it has almost been 10 years since Anchorman was released to theaters. This brilliantly realized take of Ron Burgundy ranks at the top with off-beat gems like The Jerk, Blazing Saddles and Woody Allen’s Sleeper. It is, as the cliché informs, a laugh-a-minute delight, and if Will Ferrell’s humor and the Judd Apatow adult skewed tone is your cup of tea, then Anchorman is highly recommended.The film is perfectly silly, delightfully portrayed by all the superbly comedic cast, and completely dedicated to its premise – I love this film and cannot recommend it enough.

Reviewed By: Neil Middlemiss

Support HTF when you buy this title:

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Here's a look at the what this release comes with:

AnchormanBluBox.jpg

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
By the beard of Zeus I'm tempted to double dip! Anyone know if the PQ is improved over the previous BD? Not that the first one was bad, it's just that the new swag is tempting but an upgraded transfer would make this a no-brainer.

LOUD NOISES!

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
Carlo Medina said:
By the beard of Zeus I'm tempted to double dip! Anyone know if the PQ is improved over the previous BD? Not that the first one was bad, it's just that the new swag is tempting but an upgraded transfer would make this a no-brainer.

LOUD NOISES!
The answer to that question is simple: If you want the theatrical version and the Wake Up Ron Burgandy film in addition to the Unrated cut, you'll want this set. The other BD was just the Unrated cut. I've had this set since it was issued as a Best Buy Exclusive three years ago and I can tell you that it's worth every penny.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
That's what I thought. Time to shell out more money.

Re-releasing movies on home video so people can double dip...sixty percent of the time...it works every time.
60pctofthetime.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks