What's new

Inn of the Sixth Happiness (1958) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
This is great news, hope the sound is taken from the 4-Track Mag, even the VHS was stereo.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
This is on Film Four (UK) quite regularly in HD & looks very nice (the dissolve dupes look like dupes as you would expect), & so does Anastasia, so I suppose it's only a matter of time for that one.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
A really lovely extra would be the episode of This Is Your Life that GA appeared on (if it still exists).

Steve W

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Very happy to see that it's going to be released, but I have to admit I would rather have Anastasia.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
A must buy for me and although I'm pleased that this is on their own label on grounds of retail price, I don't really understand Fox's reasoning for selecting titles when they licence out a film like JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH to a different label.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Douglas R said:
A must buy for me and although I'm pleased that this is on their own label on grounds of retail price, I don't really understand Fox's reasoning for selecting titles when they licence out a film like JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH to a different label.
Seems weird to me as well. INN OF THE SITH HAPPINESS is a decent film, but I can't believe it would be better-remembered by today's consumers as JTTCOTE is, if only because it is not a genre film, and not -- correct me if I'm wrong -- a cult classic. There are many aspects to the decisions about what gets released and what doesn't that I imagine I will never understand.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I was a toddler when this was in theatres and had one of those "Golden Records" containing the tune "This Old Man" song with a credit reading "as heard in the Twentieth-Century Fox Film 'The Inn of the Sixth Happiness'." When I finally saw the movie on laserdisc nearly 40 years later, I was surprised to discover that the song is only briefly heard in passing and wasn't written for the film at all, but was a Welsh standard.

I'm looking forward to this one, even if Ingrid Bergman and Robert Donat are miscast. I love them both and can watch them in anything.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
schan1269 said:
This was the movie that taught me that "based on real life" is often means "this will not accurate...much".
Yeah, I pay no attention to these boasts any more. They can legitimately say "based on..." if even one tiny element of a given story adheres to historic truth. The rest can be total b.s., and often is. It's a ploy, nothing more. Anyone with a high school education should be able to apply enough critical thinking to such Hollywood claims that they would research the origins of the story for corroboration (something even the news channels don't even do anymore!).

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Rob_Ray said:
I was a toddler when this was in theatres
So was I, and I don't think I've ever seen it since then. I will definitely buy this BRD. Very pleased and rather surprised. Oh, and yes, I would like Anastasia too.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm looking forward to this one, even if Ingrid Bergman and Robert Donat are miscast. I love them both and can watch them in anything.
I last saw this about a year ago, & it's interesting how the movies deal with foreign languages. Robert Donat plays an old Chinese man who doesn't speak English. In his first scene with Ingrid Bergman, he speaks perfect English, but Bergman doesn't understand him, later when Bergman has learned to speak Chinese they have conversations in Chinese, but speak in English. The audience goes along with this, maybe for some on an unconscious level. There's a scene in Where Eagles Dare where Burton & Eastwood, dressed as German officers, approach a German checkpoint, & Burton starts talking very loudly in German, but he's actually talking in English. I suppose it's all quite complex, but it seems to work, saves spending a lot of time reading subtitles.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Billy Batson said:
I last saw this about a year ago, & it's interesting how the movies deal with foreign languages. Robert Donat plays an old Chinese man who doesn't speak English. In his first scene with Ingrid Bergman, he speaks perfect English, but Bergman doesn't understand him, later when Bergman has learned to speak Chinese they have conversations in Chinese, but speak in English. The audience goes along with this, maybe for some on an unconscious level. There's a scene in Where Eagles Dare where Burton & Eastwood, dressed as German officers, approach a German checkpoint, & Burton starts talking very loudly in German, but he's actually talking in English. I suppose it's all quite complex, but it seems to work, saves spending a lot of time reading subtitles.
Not to derail this thread, but this is an interesting side topic. Though some older movies used subtitles for small portions of foreign language scenes, it really was quite common for everything to be spoken in English regardless of the language, even as recent as The Last Emperor. It was Kevin Costner who finally changed all that by insisting that the Native Americans NOT speak English in Dances With Wolves and now subtitling has become the norm.

cwilli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cheryl Williams
wow, I've been waiting for a long time for this one on Blu-ray. One of my favorite films of the fifties. I've watched the dvd version once and didn't care for the transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks