Fox

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,952 posts

Posted November 20 2013 - 10:29 PM

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

• Mark B likes this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 22 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,752 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted November 20 2013 - 11:18 PM

Dare I hope that "Anastasia" isn't too far away...?

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   DP 70

DP 70

Second Unit

• 424 posts

Posted November 21 2013 - 01:34 AM

This is great news, hope the sound is taken from the 4-Track Mag, even the VHS was stereo.

#4 of 22 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,427 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted November 21 2013 - 02:15 AM

This is on Film Four (UK) quite regularly in HD & looks very nice (the dissolve dupes look like dupes as you would expect), & so does Anastasia, so I suppose it's only a matter of time for that one.

#5 of 22 OFFLINE   Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,279 posts

Posted November 21 2013 - 04:01 AM

A really lovely extra would be the episode of This Is Your Life that GA appeared on (if it still exists).

Steve W

Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#6 of 22 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,739 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted November 21 2013 - 05:04 AM

Always enjoyed this film with its lush score. A perfect Fox CinemaScope film. Looking forward to it.
  • Billy Batson likes this
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#7 of 22 ONLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,266 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 21 2013 - 05:20 AM

Very happy to see that it's going to be released, but I have to admit I would rather have Anastasia.

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,841 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted November 21 2013 - 06:47 AM

A must buy for me and although I'm pleased that this is on their own label on grounds of retail price, I don't really understand Fox's reasoning for selecting titles when they licence out a film like JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH to a different label.

#9 of 22 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,156 posts

Posted November 21 2013 - 07:57 AM

A must buy for me and although I'm pleased that this is on their own label on grounds of retail price, I don't really understand Fox's reasoning for selecting titles when they licence out a film like JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH to a different label.

Seems weird to me as well. INN OF THE SITH HAPPINESS is a decent film, but I can't believe it would be better-remembered by today's consumers as JTTCOTE is, if only because it is not a genre film, and not -- correct me if I'm wrong -- a cult classic. There are many aspects to the decisions about what gets released and what doesn't that I imagine I will never understand.

#10 of 22 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted November 21 2013 - 08:09 AM

This was the movie that taught me that "based on real life" is often means "this will not accurate...much".

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,455 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted November 21 2013 - 08:22 AM

I was a toddler when this was in theatres and had one of those "Golden Records" containing the tune "This Old Man" song with a credit reading "as heard in the Twentieth-Century Fox Film 'The Inn of the Sixth Happiness'."  When I finally saw the movie on laserdisc nearly 40 years later, I was surprised to discover that the song is only briefly heard in passing and wasn't written for the film at all, but was a Welsh standard.

I'm looking forward to this one, even if Ingrid Bergman and Robert Donat are miscast.  I love them both and can watch them in anything.

Edited by Rob_Ray, November 21 2013 - 08:22 AM.

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,156 posts

Posted November 21 2013 - 08:24 AM

This was the movie that taught me that "based on real life" is often means "this will not accurate...much".

Yeah, I pay no attention to these boasts any more. They can legitimately say "based on..." if even one tiny element of a given story adheres to historic truth. The rest can be total b.s., and often is. It's a ploy, nothing more. Anyone with a high school education should be able to apply enough critical thinking to such Hollywood claims that they would research the origins of the story for corroboration (something even the news channels don't even do anymore!).

#13 of 22 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,842 posts

Posted November 21 2013 - 08:35 AM

I was a toddler when this was in theatres 

So was I, and I don't think I've ever seen it since then. I will definitely buy this BRD. Very pleased and rather surprised. Oh, and yes, I would like Anastasia too.

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   Cremildo

Cremildo

Stunt Coordinator

• 242 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted November 21 2013 - 08:49 AM

This announcement came at just the right time. I was about to buy the R2 DVD...

#15 of 22 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,427 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted November 21 2013 - 09:00 AM

I'm looking forward to this one, even if Ingrid Bergman and Robert Donat are miscast.  I love them both and can watch them in anything.

I last saw this about a year ago, & it's interesting how the movies deal with foreign languages. Robert Donat plays an old Chinese man who doesn't speak English. In his first scene with Ingrid Bergman, he speaks perfect English, but Bergman doesn't understand him, later when Bergman has learned to speak Chinese they have conversations in Chinese, but speak in English. The audience goes along with this, maybe for some on an unconscious level. There's a scene in Where Eagles Dare where Burton & Eastwood, dressed as German officers, approach a German checkpoint, & Burton starts talking very loudly in German, but he's actually talking in English. I suppose it's all quite complex, but it seems to work, saves spending a lot of time reading subtitles.

#16 of 22 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,752 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted November 21 2013 - 12:24 PM

I always get emotional during Donat's final scene with Bergman - it's doubly meaningful when you realise that he would shortly pass away. 

• ahollis likes this

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,319 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted November 21 2013 - 01:11 PM

I last saw this about a year ago, & it's interesting how the movies deal with foreign languages. Robert Donat plays an old Chinese man who doesn't speak English. In his first scene with Ingrid Bergman, he speaks perfect English, but Bergman doesn't understand him, later when Bergman has learned to speak Chinese they have conversations in Chinese, but speak in English. The audience goes along with this, maybe for some on an unconscious level. There's a scene in Where Eagles Dare where Burton & Eastwood, dressed as German officers, approach a German checkpoint, & Burton starts talking very loudly in German, but he's actually talking in English. I suppose it's all quite complex, but it seems to work, saves spending a lot of time reading subtitles.

Not to derail this thread, but this is an interesting side topic. Though some older movies used subtitles for small portions of foreign language scenes, it really was quite common for everything to be spoken in English regardless of the language, even as recent as The Last Emperor. It was Kevin Costner who finally changed all that by insisting that the Native Americans NOT speak English in Dances With Wolves and now subtitling has become the norm.

Edited by Mark-P, November 21 2013 - 01:12 PM.

#18 of 22 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,427 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted November 21 2013 - 03:19 PM

Always enjoyed this film with its lush score. A perfect Fox CinemaScope film. Looking forward to it.

Yep, Malcolm Arnold's big full-blooded score is a big plus.
  • ahollis likes this

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   cwilli

cwilli

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted November 21 2013 - 07:08 PM

wow, I've been waiting for a long time for this one on Blu-ray. One of my favorite films of the fifties.  I've watched the dvd version once and didn't care for the transfer.

• ahollis likes this

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted November 27 2013 - 10:53 AM

I'll bet Anastasia is soon down the road, since Inn did not do as well in the Voice Your Choice poll as Anastasia.

I'm absolutely overjoyed that the original 4-track stereo mix is being included!

Source: http://www.foxconnec...-happiness.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users