Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

Star Trek: The Next Generation: Season Five Blu-Ray Review

Blu-ray Paramount TV Reviews

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 of 26 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Producer

• 3,110 posts

Posted June 13 2014 - 04:24 PM

I found "The Inner Light" boring as an 11 year old (10? 12?) watching it during the first airing, but when I revisited it on that sampler Blu-ray, I was really, truly moved by it.  Little bit of maturity on my part went a long way with that episode.  Usually I'm very bored by the episodes where one person either loses their memory or winds up in a scenario where they know everything isn't real or we know everything isn't real.  I think part of my hesitation comes from knowing as a viewer that everything will be fine by the end of the episode, and since everything is "fake", we won't really learn a lot about the character either, we'll just get an hour of the lead going "you have to believe me!  this isn't real!"  (Kind of like the Season 4 episode "Future Imperfect" where right away I don't believe it's really 16 years in the future, so I'm just waiting for the reveal.)  What I liked about "The Inner Light" in that regard was that it showed the rest of the bridge crew simultaneously to showing Picard's experiences, so the episode isn't being gimmicky or tricky and trying to force us to believe something that we know isn't true.

"Cause & Effect" is one of my favorites too.  I just rewatched that one the other night.  Been skipping around the sets in preparation for the Season 6 release.

#22 of 26 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,336 posts

Posted June 13 2014 - 09:24 PM

...which brings me to this question...

Which Next Generation episode is considered to be the fan favorite

best of the entire series?

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#23 of 26 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,986 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted June 14 2014 - 07:14 AM

Based on Geos rating, it's Best of Both Worlds Part I.

During the viewers choice marathon at the end of the series (they didn't rank them), the five episodes shown were: Relics, Inner Light, Yesterday's Enterprise, Best of Both Worlds I and Best of Both Worlds II.

#24 of 26 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,336 posts

Posted June 15 2014 - 12:48 AM

Based on Geos rating, it's Best of Both Worlds Part I

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]Duh....I was having a senior moment and totally forgot about the Borg episodes.[/color]

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:'Merriweather Sans', sans-serif;background-color:rgb(242,242,242);]Of course, that would be the shining moment in TNG's run.[/color]

Have not gotten to Relics as of yet.  I am guessing that is in Season 6 (which I am

watching now) or Season 7.

BTW, another really surprisingly good episode in Season 6 (getting ahead of myself

in this thread) was Man of the People.  This is where Deanna meets an Ambassador

and ages rapidly.  There's one shot of her in a very skimpy see-through gown that

had me doing a double-take.  I am certain the high-def transfer is revealing more than

what had been intended to be seen in the original SD broadcast. 

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#25 of 26 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,986 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted June 15 2014 - 04:40 PM

Ron, Relics is early in S6...within the first five or six episodes.

I'm also kind of surprised to hear you liked Man of the People. It's not generally well-regarded amonst fans and I have a negative memory about it. Just a few more weeks and I'll see if that memory holds up!

#26 of 26 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,857 posts

Posted June 15 2014 - 06:51 PM

Relics is an okay episode.  It's really an opportunity for Scotty to visit the show, with a tech-heavy story to justify it.

If I were to think of my own favorites of the series, I'd go with:

Heart of Glory

Q Who

Measure of a Man

Yesterday's Enterprise

Best of Both Worlds pt 1

Family

Darmok

Cause and Effect

The First Duty

Chain of Command pts 1 & 2

Ship in a Bottle

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews, Blu-ray, Paramount, TV Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users