What's new

Fox Archives-MOD releases for December (1 Viewer)

FrankXS

Second Unit
Just read on Movies Unlimited upcoming list of DVDs that Fox has announced about a dozen titles for December.
They include six Sonja Henie ice skating musicals, two early Alice Faye musicals, Love That Brute with Paul Douglas,
Young America with Spencer Tracy, Beneath the 12 Mile Reef w/ Robert Wagner and Thunder in the Valley, a 1947 Peggy Ann Garner/Lon McCallister dog story. Sonja Henie titles:One in a Million, Iceland, Thin Ice, Happy Landing, My Lucky Star and Wintertime. Alice Faye musicals: George White's Scandals of 1935 and You Can't Have Everything.

[email protected]

Supporting Actor
While I’m not a fan of the Ritz Brothers, I know those who will be very happy about the release of “One in a Million” and” You Can't Have Everything,” providing the prints are decent, of course.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Good to see some of these early titles . Really looking forward to the Tracy film . Never seen or even heard of it .

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
borisfw said:
Good to see some of these early titles . Really looking forward to the Tracy film . Never seen or even heard of it .
WSpeaking of Tracy, what ever happened to Dante's Inferno? Fox announced it but I have not seen anything else about it.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Now taking bets.

Beneath the 12 Mile Reef:

16:9 Widescreen Anamorphic @ 100/1

4:3 Letterbox: @ 50/1

4:3 Pan and scan: Sorry, but all bets are off on that one. ;)

Seriously though, I'll be purchasing the two Alice Faye titles and possibly a couple of the Sonja Henie ones.
Foolish of me, as I know what the quality is likely to be. :(

Two additional Sonja Henie titles are available on proper, good quality, Fox DVDs here in Australia.

henie1.jpg

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
ahollis said:
Damn still no SUN VALLEY.
I believe that one is with Twilight Time. Nick Redman alluded to that in response to a suggestion earlier this year on TT's Facebook page stating, "It's Coming".
This will mark the first studio release of Beneath the 12-Mile Reef. Since this is the third of the first three Cinemascope pictures to enter production at Fox, features Oscar-nominated cinematography by Edward Cronjager, and a beautiful score by Bernard Herrmann, it had better not get a P&S shaft like the obscene number of beat-to-crap 16mm mono prints that have been floating around in public domain hell.

My other concerns are that Fox didn't bother to curate the original elements well, since they failed to renew copyright and really haven't cared to release it for all these years. All we've ever seen in terms of moderately decent releases of this title are some non-anamorphic DVDs from the laserdisc (which was sourced from a British Eastmancolor print with 4-track magnetic audio, borrowed from a private collector.) Not all of those discs have stereo sound.

It will take a 2,55:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer with stereo sound from the original tracks to get me to buy this MOD.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Lromero1396 said:
I believe that one is with Twilight Time. Nick Redman alluded to that in response to a suggestion earlier this year on TT's Facebook page stating, "It's Coming".
This will mark the first studio release of Beneath the 12-Mile Reef. Since this is the third of the first three Cinemascope pictures to enter production at Fox, features Oscar-nominated cinematography by Edward Cronjager, and a beautiful score by Bernard Herrmann, it had better not get a P&S shaft like the obscene number of beat-to-crap 16mm mono prints that have been floating around in public domain hell.

My other concerns are that Fox didn't bother to curate the original elements well, since they failed to renew copyright and really haven't cared to release it for all these years. All we've ever seen in terms of moderately decent releases of this title are some non-anamorphic DVDs from the laserdisc (which was sourced from a British Eastmancolor print with 4-track magnetic audio, borrowed from a private collector.) Not all of those discs have stereo sound.

It will take a 2,55:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer with stereo sound from the original tracks to get me to buy this MOD.
Good news on SUN VALLEY. It's a fun little film. I to have hopes about BENEATH THE 12-MILE REEF will be a good transfer. I would love to replace the Lumivision Laser.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
updated odds on Beneath the 12 Mile Reef.
16:9 Widescreen: 12/1
4:3 Letterbox: No more bets taken.
4.3 Pan and Scan: now 10/1

Movies Unlimited has it listed as Widescreen and Digital Stereo.
How accurate are their listings?

FrankXS

Second Unit
I would greatly appreciate Fox Archives including Tin Pan Alley, Margie, Centennial Summer and Pied Piper in one of their next collection announcements.

Also wonder what is up with Second Fiddle and Sun Valley Serenade.....these were two of Sonja Henie's better musicals.......maybe Twilight Time got them. Could we have an explanation as to what is happening with Humphrey Bogart's Deadline USA and Spencer Tracy's Dante's Inferno.....both announced for release but never materialized.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
FrankXS said:
I would greatly appreciate Fox Archives including Tin Pan Alley, Margie, Centennial Summer and Pied Piper in one of their next collection announcements.

Also wonder what is up with Second Fiddle and Sun Valley Serenade.....these were two of Sonja Henie's better musicals.......maybe Twilight Time got them. Could we have an explanation as to what is happening with Humphrey Bogart's Deadline USA and Spencer Tracy's Dante's Inferno.....both announced for release but never materialized.
As I said before, Sun Valley is with Twilight Time.
I second the motion for The Pied Piper.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Robert Crawford said:
A real test to see if Fox have improved their MOD program will be "Beneath the 12 Mile Reef".
According to DVD Savant, the disc is in anamorphic widescreen with good colors! Hard to believe and apparently even the disc cover says 4 X 3, but if DVD Savant is right, I'll get my money out and buy this disc.

Savant also says that it looks as if Fox has regained copyright on this movie. Good! No more low grade bootlegs!

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Robin9 said:
]According to DVD Savant, the disc is in anamorphic widescreen with good colors! Hard to believe and apparently even the disc cover says 4 X 3, but if DVD Savant is right, I'll get my money out and buy this disc.

Savant also says that it looks as if Fox has regained copyright on this movie. Good! No more low grade bootlegs!
I pray he is right.
I'm certainly not spending what little I have on yet another 4:3 pan and scan or letterboxed travesty.

Is this the start of better things to come?

If it is, then let's hope they rescue "New Faces" out of public domain hell or at least give us a decent Anamorphic/Stereo DVD.
Fox (under their Key Video label) did release an official widescreen edition on VHS many years ago.
Since then we have had to suffer several absolutely dreadful looking, chopped-up public domain DVD monstrosities.

The movie had some really great musical numbers performed by Eartha Kitt, (International recording artist and performer) Alice Ghostley, Robert Clary (Hogan's Heroes), Paul Lynde (Bye Bye Birdie) and others, plus the writing of Mel Brooks and Ronnie Graham.

I'd truly love to see this one returned to somewhere near it's former glory.
new faces 1954.jpg

Doug.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Doug Bull said:
I pray he is right.
I'm certainly not spending what little I have on yet another 4:3 pan and scan or letterboxed travesty.

Is this the start of better things to come?

If it is, then let's hope they rescue "New Faces" out of public domain hell or at least give us a decent Anamorphic/Stereo DVD.
Fox (under their Key Video label) did release an official widescreen edition on VHS many years ago.
Since then we have had to suffer several absolutely dreadful looking public domain DVD monstrosities.

The movie had some really great musical numbers performed by Eartha Kitt, (International recording artist and performer) Alice Ghostley, Robert Clary (Hogan's Heroes), Paul Lynde (Bye Bye Birdie) and others, plus the writing of Mel Brooks and Ronnie Graham.

I'd truly love to see this one returned to somewhere near it's former glory.

Doug.
The Savant has an review copy and you can read his review here:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s4388reef.html

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Thanks for the link.
Sounds OK, so I think I'll take a chance and order it along with some Alice Faye and Sonja Henie titles.

Importcds seem to have the best prices on Fox Archives at the moment.

Doug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks