What's new

Projector offering best 3D performance, under $3000 ? (1 Viewer)

ahmadka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ahmad Najeeb
Hey guys ... So I'm (most probably) going for a 2 projector setup for my new home theater room (first ever!), for the best 2D and 3D, while remaining under $4000 or so altogether, instead of getting something like Epson 5030, for fulling both roles, because then the result is not as good as that from 2 dedicated projectors, for 3D and 2D individually ..

I have been suggested the JVC RS-45 or RS-46 for its superior 2D, and the Benq or Optoma projectors for their 3D quality ..

Problem is, I can't decide which projector to get for its performance in 3D ..

There are some obvious choices, such as:

Benq W1070
Benq W1500
Benq W7000
Optoma HD131Xe
Optoma HD25e
Optoma HD25-LV

You are free to recommend some other projector too, for its awesome 3D ..

Thing is, I can't decide properly which one to get. They are roughly in the same price range, so money is not an issue ..

Here is some criteria I've determined to help decide:
[*]Needs to be as awesome as possible in 3D ! :D
[*]3D has some good popping effects (like those in cinemas) ..
[*]No (or negligible) crosstalk in 3D ..
[*]No (or very low chance of) rainbows (for DLP only) :) ..
[*]Would be nice to have an option to zoom a 3D cinemascope movie to fill 16:9 screen (I don't mind the sides being cropped out) (for 3D and 2D video)..
[*]Visually good/bright 3D for both completely dark (for movies) and lighted rooms (when playing video games)
[*]Should have low/acceptable gaming lag, since I occasionally do game online (FPS, etc ..)
[*]Would be nice to have some vertical/horizontal lens shift (installing 2 projectors side be side will require some offset) ..
[*]Would be nice if its in black (since my room has a black theme, and JVC RS-46 is black too)
[*]A low lamp cost would be awesome ..
[*]Would like to avoid DLP Link if possible, as its not generally appreciated ..
[/list]My screen size would be about 115" or so, and the throw distance would be able 15' I think .. Room is light controlled (some light might leak in from under the door, etc), but I play video games with the lights on normally ..

So which one guys ? :)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
schan1269 said:
If you game, LCD projectors are out.
Sam, did an LCD projector burn your house down? :)
I get DLP is better than LCD, but I plan on getting the Panasonic PT- AE8000U. It is a projector I have done a lot of reading on both online, in print. Consumer, and professional reviews alike are all very positive(most glowing in fact). Here is one such review:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic-ae8000_projector_review.htm?page=The-Viewing-Experience

Anyway, this will be my first true home theater build and I'm already nervous about picking the right equipment. I hope I'm making the right choice with the Panasonic projector.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No LCD did not burn my house down. I actually own two. Both are Polaroid 26" that I bought at a garage sale(moving sale) for $75 each. Satisfactory for my uncles house who is 84 years old...and his kitchen TV was a 13" Daewoo tube(finally changed all his TVs to HD...cause his cable co delivers "OTA available" HD over standard cable)

But back to gaming. Look at every gaming site out there. They try to find the gaming TV/Projector among LCD. Why are plasma and DLP*/D-ILA/LCoS not invited to the contests?

Cause there is no point to invite them. They'd win.

*Last time I saw a contest among projectors and DLP were invited. Of the 7 projectors, 4 DLP. The worst of the 4 DLP was the equal in milliseconds to the best LCD. And that LCD embarrassed the other two.

So...you can try to find the best gaming LCD projector....

Or, you can save yourself some time and buy a DLP. (and for what it is worth...JVC tend to suck at gaming. So, if you want D-ILA/LCoS...buy a Sony. Or an LG while you can still find a used one)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
ahmadka said:
Hey guys ... So I'm (most probably) going for a 2 projector setup for my new home theater room (first ever!), for the best 2D and 3D, while remaining under $4000 or so altogether, instead of getting something like Epson 5030, for fulling both roles, because then the result is not as good as that from 2 dedicated projectors, for 3D and 2D individually ..

I have been suggested the JVC RS-45 or RS-46 for its superior 2D, and the Benq or Optoma projectors for their 3D quality ..

Problem is, I can't decide which projector to get for its performance in 3D ..

There are some obvious choices, such as:

Benq W1070
Benq W1500
Benq W7000
Optoma HD131Xe
Optoma HD25e
Optoma HD25-LV

You are free to recommend some other projector too, for its awesome 3D ..

Thing is, I can't decide properly which one to get. They are roughly in the same price range, so money is not an issue ..

Here is some criteria I've determined to help decide:

[*]Needs to be as awesome as possible in 3D ! :D
[*]3D has some good popping effects (like those in cinemas) ..
[*]No (or negligible) crosstalk in 3D ..
[*]No (or very low chance of) rainbows (for DLP only) :) ..
[*]Would be nice to have an option to zoom a 3D cinemascope movie to fill 16:9 screen (I don't mind the sides being cropped out) (for 3D and 2D video)..
[*]Visually good/bright 3D for both completely dark (for movies) and lighted rooms (when playing video games)
[*]Should have low/acceptable gaming lag, since I occasionally do game online (FPS, etc ..)
[*]Would be nice to have some vertical/horizontal lens shift (installing 2 projectors side be side will require some offset) ..
[*]Would be nice if its in black (since my room has a black theme, and JVC RS-46 is black too)
[*]A low lamp cost would be awesome ..
[*]Would like to avoid DLP Link if possible, as its not generally appreciated ..
[/list]My screen size would be about 115" or so, and the throw distance would be able 15' I think .. Room is light controlled (some light might leak in from under the door, etc), but I play video games with the lights on normally ..

So which one guys ? :)
I would go for a Sony HW50, don't go for two projectors, a review below, with new models coming out you should be able to find it within your budget, good for 3D and for gaming the lag is just 16ms, very low for a projector.

Forget JVC, for 3D they are not as good, not by a long shot, great for 2D movies though.

No projector will look it's best in a lit room, so forget that.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-vpl-hw50es-review-201212042380.htm

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
schan1269 said:
JVC tend to suck at gaming. So, if you want D-ILA/LCoS...buy a Sony.
Its so strange that this has never been my experience. I mean, I have 20/20 vision and just played through the entire game of Bioshock Infinite on my RS60 and never once did I think its performance was anything less than awesome. I dont deny that its response is slower than others but to this day Im still waiting for this fact to actually affect my gaming enjoyment. Maybe my standards just arent high enough or is there a possibility this is overblown?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Type A said:
Its so strange that this has never been my experience. I mean, I have 20/20 vision and just played through the entire game of Bioshock Infinite on my RS60 and never once did I think its performance was anything less than awesome. I dont deny that its response is slower than others but to this day Im still waiting for this fact to actually affect my gaming enjoyment. Maybe my standards just arent high enough or is there a possibility this is overblown?
Do you play online or just the game by yourself. ?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Type A said:
Let me clarify...here. Much in the way RAH says JVC 3D isn't very good...

It is still better than a "half the cost" LCD projector.

You can nitpick a RS60 harder than you can an Epson V11H562020(Any complaint response against that Epson should be started with "Well, you only spent $800...what were you expecting?")

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
schan1269 said:
Let me clarify...here. Much in the way RAH says JVC 3D isn't very good...

It is still better than a "half the cost" LCD projector.

You can nitpick a RS60 harder than you can an Epson V11H562020(Any complaint response against that Epson should be started with "Well, you only spent $800...what were you expecting?")
I think you will find ( if you give it a go ) that some recent projectors such as the Panasonic AE8000 can produce excellent 3D and better than the JVC models, not all LCD is bad.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
FoxyMulder said:
Do you play online or just the game by yourself. ?
Good point, Ill admit Im mostly a local player. However when the shit hits the fan in an action or shooter game the JVC still seems to hold up really well. I suppose a loss in frame rates, like you might find playing online, might make a slower response time much more obvious.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I've found DLP 3D nirvana with the Sharp XV-Z30000.

Previously tried the BenQ W7000 for 30 days. Returned it when I saw the superior quality of Sharp 3D image and motorized zoom/lens shift/memory.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Reed Grele said:
I've found DLP 3D nirvana with the Sharp XV-Z30000.

Previously tried the BenQ W7000 for 30 days. Returned it when I saw the superior quality of Sharp 3D image and motorized zoom/lens shift/memory.
Looks like it would be great for no crosstalk but light output might be an issue for larger screens according to the review below.

http://projectorreviews.com/sharp/sharp-xv-z30000-special-features-2/

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I have no brightness issues with the Sharp 30k on my DIY Wilsonart Designer White 120" Diag. screen in a totally light controlled room (black ceiling and walls). 3D on this projector is like looking through a giant, crystal clear window onto the world.

But I certainly wouldn't recommend it for a daylight living room environment. But then, that is not a serious home theater setting anyway.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Reed Grele said:
I have no brightness issues with the Sharp 30k on my DIY Wilsonart Designer White 120" Diag. screen in a totally light controlled room (black ceiling and walls). 3D on this projector is like looking through a giant, crystal clear window onto the world.

But I certainly wouldn't recommend it for a daylight living room environment. But then, that is not a serious home theater setting anyway.
I think i would love it for 3D, no crosstalk whatsoever would be nirvana for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks