Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

3D Blu-Rays (2.35x1) That Have Black Border Effects

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,308 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted November 16 2013 - 10:14 AM

Does anyone have a list of titles that do this? I know that in my 100+ collection that there are at least 2 or 3 that have this really cool feature, but short of going through each one, I can't recall which ones have it.

You won't see this in CIH projection setups, but if played on a 16x9 screen (or LCD / plasma TV's), sometimes objects that are being propelled towards the audience will spill over into the black border area for a really enhanced 3D effect.

The only one I can think of at the moment is the aspect ratio change to 2.35x1 during the flying fish scene from LIFE OF PI.

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,634 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 16 2013 - 02:00 PM

Does anyone have a list of titles that do this? I know that in my 100+ collection that there are at least 2 or 3 that have this really cool feature, but short of going through each one, I can't recall which ones have it.

You won't see this in CIH projection setups, but if played on a 16x9 screen (or LCD / plasma TV's), sometimes objects that are being propelled towards the audience will spill over into the black border area for a really enhanced 3D effect.

The only one I can think of at the moment is the aspect ratio change to 2.35x1 during the flying fish scene from LIFE OF PI.

Disney's kiddie film G-Force does a fantastic job with out of the frame/into the letterbox shots.

I noted in my Cars 3D review that Pixar did it in the closing credits side panel action, and it's very effective there, too.

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,066 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted November 16 2013 - 11:32 PM

MONSTERS VS. ALIENS does this too.  Pretty cool effect.

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,558 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted November 16 2013 - 11:41 PM

Oz TheGreat and Powerful did this at least once during the opening section.
facebook.com/whotony

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,697 posts

Posted November 17 2013 - 05:50 AM

Life of Pi has a sequence involving fish.  It's brief, but effective.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,246 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted November 19 2013 - 11:53 AM

The opening credits to Escape from Planet Earth have snowflakes falling outside the frame.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,308 posts

Posted November 19 2013 - 02:40 PM

This must be unique to the home video transfers, correct? I mean how could this be accomplished in a theater?

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,558 posts

Posted November 19 2013 - 02:42 PM

Oz and Pi both did the same effect in the theater.
facebook.com/whotony

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,308 posts

Posted November 19 2013 - 02:54 PM

I can see how it could be done with films that are shot with multiple aspect ratios. But what about films that are 2.35x1 all the way through? I know I've seen a few that have this effect, but I just can't remember which ones.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   StephenDH

StephenDH

Second Unit

• 315 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 09 2013 - 02:48 AM

There's a great out of the letterbox gag at the end of "Amphibious"; it's almost worth sitting through the rest of it.

"They say money talks; all mine ever said was "Goodbye."": Dick Spanner.

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,558 posts

Posted December 09 2013 - 09:05 AM

Although not 3D the trailer for the new walking with Dinosaurs has effects that go into the black bars.
facebook.com/whotony

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 16,023 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted December 09 2013 - 09:07 AM

I saw a trailer for Walking with Dinosaurs a week or so back. I was like, "This looks gre..." (as soon as the dinosaurs talked it ended my excitement...)

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 827 posts

Posted January 29 2014 - 12:01 PM

I remember that effect in the theatrical release of 'Hugo', especially an early scene with snow falling, but I don't have a 3D set-up at home.

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,698 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 29 2014 - 12:09 PM

Hugo is 1.78:1 though (?)

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,062 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted January 29 2014 - 12:21 PM

As already mentioned the end scene of Monsters Vs Aliens has a great moment involving the 2.35:1 bars.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users