What's new

Suggestions please, new to dvda (1 Viewer)

joedaddy5771

Agent
As the topic says. I like some pop jazz and some softer classic rock. Just set up my first true 5.1system and I am itching to buy some new music. I read some where there is a must see\hear steely Dan? I also like singers like Nora Jones. I have a lot of CDs that I like just want to listen to some true 5.1 music. Thank you

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It is hard to suggest DVD-A as many are OOP.However start your search at Amazon Germany an Brazil. The two countries where MP3 hasn't killed physical media.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The Beatles "Love" special edition.

(It might still be available).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Beck has two good ones...Sea ChangeGueroYou won't find them new though.SACD are still made new.Add "hybrid" and "dual disc" to any search. Many times people that have no clue what DVD-A or SACD are, will still mention mention hybrid or dual disc.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
schan1269 said:
Add "hybrid" and "dual disc" to any search. Many times people that have no clue what DVD-A or SACD are, will still mention mention hybrid or dual disc.
I didn't know that the dvd disc from The Beatles "Love" special edition, was actually a dvd-a disc.

Whenever I played the "Love" dvd disc on the computer, it looked like it was just playing the contents from the video_ts directory. When I looked at the disc's filesystem further on the computer, it turned out the audio_ts directory was actually full of content. The stuff in the audio_ts directory turned out to be the tracks with a higher sampling frequency, bit rate, and more channels than the cd copy.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is why I hate Denon universal players and hybrid/dual disc.My 3910 can't be setup to automatically play the Hi-Res. You have to start the disc...stop, press buttons and continue on.Sure it sounds better than an Onkyo universal...but why the hassle?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Was it standard practice for dvd-a to include a copy of the album's tracks in the video_ts directory?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is the inherent difference between SACD and DVD-A.DVD-A was supposed to play on all DVD players, till Sony mucked up the program with SACD/DSD.I've run across very few DVD-A where a display doesn't need to be involved (to navigate the menu).And I've discovered one issue converting to HDMI for playback...inability to watch something else(typically I'd have a news channel on while playing a disc).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(Going on a tangent).

It would be great if the upcoming Led Zeppelin remasters are also released on a format like dvda, sacd, or bluray.

(Nothing definitive yet on this).

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Here's another vote for The Beatles Love DVD-A. It is a staggering 5.1 mix.

Emerson Lake and Palmer's first two albums are available with DVD-A included in the package.

But the way to go these days is SACD, still manufactured and still some great titles out there by companies like MFSL.

joedaddy5771

Agent
Thank you for all the replies, I am a big Beatles fan and will be finding that one soon. I did order Dire Straits brothers in arms in SACD and PF dark side of the moon, two of my all time favorite. Looking for Steely Dan Aja but the only ones found are very expensive. Keep the suggestions coming and thank you.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I ordered Steely Dan Aja SACD from CDJapan, and paid about $50 shipped. Expensive, but worth it. You can also find Gaucho on SACD.

You do have a SACD player, yes? (Or a universal DVD-A/SACD player?)

joedaddy5771

Agent
Well that's cheaper then I had found it, thank you. I will be playing it on my new OPPO -103 it is a awesome ppice of equipment.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I have the last model of the Oppo. You are covered with SACD, DVD-A, and blu-ray audio, as well as high-res streaming from sites like HDTracks,com.

I have the Rolling Stones GRRR, although it is not the full-blown package with all the tracks (that the deluxe CD edition had) it captures the smaller set. The only thing I don't like about it is the navigation of track to track.

Since you are into Pink Floyd, be sure to check out Wish You Were Here on SACD, available from acousticsounds.com. $35 and worth every penny.

joedaddy5771

Agent
Just remembered I have 2 catalogs with music in it, just dug them out. Acoustic sounds and Music direct I will be flipping through them today. I love looking at catalogs maybe I should start a new post about catalogs.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Yeah, what Steve said regarding Beatles and Pink Floyd.
One fave of mine is Seal greatest hits, came in a package that had the DVD-A with original studio tracks plus acoustic ones, all in hi-rez, plus regular versions.
Also, if you like Bowie, check out Davis Live and Stage, great 5.1 mixes.
Avalon (Roxy Music), although an SACD, is also phenomenal.

If you are not limited to DVD-A, may I suggest some of the newer concert releases on blu, such as Rolling Stones in Hyde Park 2013, Bryan Ferry in Lyon, Peter Gabriel New Blood live in London? All magnificient!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks