• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,897 posts

Posted November 15 2013 - 10:24 PM

700_DF_box_348x490_original.jpg

Fantastic Mr. Fox (DUAL-FORMAT BLU-RAY AND DVD EDITION)     
Fantastic Mr. Fox is the story of a clever, quick, nimble, and exceptionally well-dressed wild animal. A compulsive chicken thief turned newspaper reporter, Mr. Fox settles down with his family at a new foxhole in a beautiful tree directly adjacent to three enormous poultry farms—owned by three ferociously vicious farmers: Boggis, Bunce, and Bean. Mr. Fox simply cannot resist. This adaptation of Roald Dahl’s classic children’s novel from Wes Anderson (The Royal Tenenbaums) is a meticulous work of stop-motion animation featuring vibrant performances by George Clooney, Meryl Streep, Jason Schwartzman, Willem Dafoe, Michael Gambon, and Bill Murray.

2009 • 87 minutes • Color • 5.1 surround • 1.85:1 aspect ratio

DUAL-FORMAT BLU-RAY AND DVD SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
• New digital master, approved by director Wes Anderson, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
• Audio commentary featuring Anderson
• Storyboard animatics for the entire film
• Footage of the actors voicing their characters, puppet construction, stop-motion setups, and the recording of the score
• Interviews with cast and crew
• Puppet animation tests
• Photo gallery of puppets, props, and sets
• Animated awards acceptance speeches
• Audio recording of author Roald Dahl reading the book on which the film is based
• Gallery of Dahl’s original manuscripts
• Discussion and analysis of the film
• Stop-motion Sony robot commercial by Anderson
• One Blu-ray and two DVDs, with all content available in both formats
• PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay; a 2002 article on Dahl’s Gipsy House by Anderson; White Cape, a comic book used as a prop in the film; and drawings, original paintings, and other ephemera

TITLE: Fantastic Mr. Fox (DUAL-FORMAT BLU-RAY AND DVD EDITION)     
CAT. NO: CC2319BDDVD
UPC: 7-15515-11141-6
ISBN: 978-1-60465-788-3
SRP: $39.95                                                
PREBOOK: 1/21/14
STREET: 2/18/14

• Mark Walker likes this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,342 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted November 16 2013 - 01:43 AM

This may have to be a blind buy for me.

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   robbiesreels

robbiesreels

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted November 16 2013 - 06:02 PM

I already bought THE 2 DISC  Fantastic Mr. Fox  on Blu-ray thru the Fox blu ray  for $11.99  and it looks beautiful

8895_large.jpg
8895_front.jpg

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,897 posts

Posted November 18 2013 - 10:20 PM

Now Available For Preorder

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,393 posts

Posted November 19 2013 - 12:45 AM

This may have to be a blind buy for me.

If you're buying it on Anderson's name alone, you might already need your glasses checked.  :rolleyes:

Put it this way:  Remember when Nicholas Roeg thought he could interpret Roald Dahl?  Remember when Tim Burton did?  Remember when Danny DeVito...well, okay, he didn't mess it up too much. 

Those were actual film directors, and not self-indulgent w*nkers (uh, except for Burton).  At this point, I'd even watch the Henry Selick one again before I watched Wes's track-suits-and-quirky-babble.

Edited by Ejanss, November 19 2013 - 12:49 AM.

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   stevenHa

stevenHa

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted November 19 2013 - 02:58 AM

I wonder if you own the previous blu ray what is different/better about this release ?

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted November 19 2013 - 03:33 AM

You think Matilda was better than The Witches? Wow.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Mark VH

Mark VH

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted November 19 2013 - 06:38 AM

If you're buying it on Anderson's name alone, you might already need your glasses checked.  :rolleyes:

Put it this way:  Remember when Nicholas Roeg thought he could interpret Roald Dahl?  Remember when Tim Burton did?  Remember when Danny DeVito...well, okay, he didn't mess it up too much. 

Those were actual film directors, and not self-indulgent w*nkers (uh, except for Burton).  At this point, I'd even watch the Henry Selick one again before I watched Wes's track-suits-and-quirky-babble.

Big fat "whatever." This is a GREAT movie - utterly hilarious, effortlessly rewatchable, and Andersonian in the best possible sense. I'm in the tank for Wes regardless, but whether he directed it or not, it's a beautifully crafted, joyous thing. Buy with confidence, John. Me, I'll stick with my original Blu (which, btw, is available on Amazon for a very affordable $11.99), as I don't have too much time to dig through extras these days.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,393 posts

Posted November 19 2013 - 09:21 AM

I remember seeing it in the theater--with an afternoon audience of parents and kids who saw "Stop-motion Dahl" in the review and were expecting James & the Giant Peach--and thinking the movie played like a SNL parody of "What if Wes Anderson did a kiddy film?"

Unfortunately, the real SNL beat me to it a couple years later:

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,993 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted November 19 2013 - 12:00 PM

I can't double-dip on this one. As much as I enjoyed it, it's a little to slight for a Criterion title.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,151 posts

Posted November 21 2013 - 07:25 AM

Remember when Nicholas Roeg thought he could interpret Roald Dahl? 

Yes, I do, and I think THE WITCHES was a delightful, creepy, funny movie that truly captured the spirit of Dahl. I so look forward to an OAR Blu release!

• cafink and Moe Dickstein like this

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,232 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 21 2013 - 07:59 AM

Me, too. I really loved The Witches and am not satisfied with the open matte transfer on DVD.

• cafink and Moe Dickstein like this

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,393 posts

Posted November 21 2013 - 09:02 AM

Yes, I do, and I think THE WITCHES was a delightful, creepy, funny movie that truly captured the spirit of Dahl. I so look forward to an OAR Blu release!

I think Roeg, like most Wonka-struck adults, rather overstated his purpose--

O-kay, Nick, so you think Dahl straight out of the book is too "twisted" and "disturbing" for kids  (and so did Jim Henson who hired him); can we leave off the "weird" fisheye lens for five freakin' minutes?  I feel like I'm getting glaucoma!  :P

Wes, OTOH, was making his epic around the same time as Spike Jonze was trying to put his "alternative" spin on Maurice Sendak, and the same hollow hipster-adult ring of talking about children's books as deep philosophy, without actually having read them recently or understanding why children read books.  (Wes seems to have had a biological-clock urge to feature children's books in his movies lately, with Moonrise Kingdom, but he's still got a long way to go before he rejoins the human race.)

Was playing one of those moral-question games with friends lately, and one of the questions was, "Do you believe people who do not have children are selfish?"  (Y'see, because they're not "passing their wisdom on to the next generation", or putting their own busy lives aside to take an interest in the future, etc.)  I don't know if I ever took a stand on that point, but I noted I did have a subconsciously murderous passion against those who don't understand the value of children's books to children--Those who keep braying about the "sex and violence" in Grimm stories to take it out on their Disney childhoods, for ex., or who parody Dr. Seuss without ever really having read one in the last twenty years.  THAT, for some reason, struck me as "selfish", to want to some how embrace your own childhood by deconstructing it, and say that we should have spent our time more valuably embracing good ol' grownup cynicism.

Wes doesn't want to tell the child-appeal story of Mr. F outwitting the three belching Dahl-baddie farmers, he wants to do the George Clooney Executive character in stop motion, and give him the usual Wacky Dysfunctional Family in fur, with the track suits, breakfast cereals, and weird quirky ambitions.  Oh, look, and he calls all the animals by their Latin names, get it, because they're animals!

Of the three examples named, at least Roeg wanted to tell a "twisted" Dahl story as it was told, and not force it into his own cynically removed outside view of "quirky" humanity.

Even overdoing it a tad is at least doing it at all.

Edited by Ejanss, November 21 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,354 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted November 21 2013 - 09:57 AM

I agree with Ejanss, and this is my least favorite WA movie by a long shot, I don't find anything the slightest bit humorous or interesting about it except for the production. So this set looks like it'd be good for that. It is NOT the WA movie I hoped Criterion would be announcing about now...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Criterion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users