Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Bad Steaming Quality Help

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor

• 908 posts

Posted November 15 2013 - 10:57 AM

Hey all,

Have a problem I thought I would ask for some help on.

We have a 2 story condo. The internet/router is upstairs and the TV/Entertainment setup is downstairs, pretty much directly below it. 

My setup includes 2 Linksys WRT54G routers with Tomato on it. The upstairs one is just setup as a regular router. The downstairs one is set as a bridge.

I have comcast cable. My trouble is I can't ever get the connection downstairs to be strong enough so Netflix streams in HD. It's always SD. I don't know what I can do to improve the wi-fi downstairs. Running a hard line isn't an option. My router already has more powerful antennas. I'm thinking a wi-fi signal does not travel well vertically?

I don't know much about home networking, but I believe I did read there is another way to setup my routers or than in the bridge configuration that might give me a better signal?

Any help or input most appreciated.

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,256 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted November 15 2013 - 11:11 AM

Move up to an N router...???

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor

• 908 posts

Posted November 15 2013 - 11:20 AM

I've been considering that. But let me ask, would buying an N Router but keeping the old WRT54G downstairs work and would it improve my situation? Would I still be able to set up the bridge? I doubt tomato works with newer routers, so I hope the stock firmwares nowadays are more robust.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,256 posts

Posted November 15 2013 - 11:33 AM

I use the WNDR4500 and it does a 3500sf house with ease. And it isn't even the best N router.The main benefit is the 5G wifi.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor

• 908 posts

Posted November 15 2013 - 11:43 AM

I dont know much about the 5G band, but I thought I read it doesn't go through stuff very well, like walls.

Does the benefits of N include better range and speed? That's what I'd need, of course. Are older G devices compatible with in? Most of my wi-fi devices use N, but a few are G, like my Laptop.

How is this one: http://www.amazon.co..._cmu_pg__header

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,256 posts

Posted November 15 2013 - 11:54 AM

N has less interference.Basic physics principals tell you 2.4 travels farther than 5.You want a simultaneous g and n router. Don't buy one that isn't. I have a feeling the issue is the relative lack of oomph your current router has.Most simultaneous g/n routers are brutes.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,256 posts

Posted November 15 2013 - 11:59 AM

I don't think that Medialink is dual band. And it only does 300mbps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users