What's new

PS4 owners thread (2 Viewers)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
System, camera, spare controller and 2 of 3 games are here, and I think I jus got a text message that the 3rd is on my front porch now. Starting to cable and hook up, remember to add Kadath on PSN if you are gaming tonight!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Camera, extra controller, Knack and ACIV are all here...just waiting for the console and Killzone to show up. Stupid UPS...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Played Knack about 3 hours today, got to chapter 4 of 13. I like it, its fun and good sub workout. Not sure what all the naysaying is about, it's the first platformer I might finish since the original Mario 64...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
And credits roll on Knack. I very much enjoyed it. It even seems to have challenge modes and arena battles once you complete it. Will try those out then trade it off, maybe for Need for Speed.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Some tips for PS4 Owners.. (also in other thread)

Played with a friend's (who received his, damnit) We received an email with these, tested all.. all work. Some are very slick:

Push and hold the Share button to take a screenshot. To change the long press of the Share button to bring up the Share menu and the short press of the Share button to take a screenshot, press the Share button to bring the [Share Menu]. Then press the Options button and go to [Share Settings]. Select [Share Button Control Type] and choose [Easy Screenshots]. From the [Share Settings] described above, you can also change recording and streaming settings. A double tap of the share button will start a fresh video recording from that point, regardless of what Share button control type you have set. Push and hold the PS button down to bring a quick menu with volume and other settings (such as device management). Through this you can adjust what audio is sent to the headset jack on the controller, including all audio or just voice chat. FYI: This is probably the best part of the whole thing. Just plug in ANY headset into the PS4 controller. ANY headset works. We used a set of Apple Earbuds we had from our iPads.. worked flawlessly. The PS Home button can be double-tapped to quickly swap between the last game and app in use. Click R3 when using the onscreen keyboard for gyro control. You can either press L2 or say "PlayStation" on the dashboard to activate a voice command (using either a mic or the camera). For example: Press L2 and then say "Battlefield 4" to go to Battlefield 4 and then "Start" to start the game or say "PlayStation Battlefield 4" to go to Battlefield 4 and then "Start" to start the game. You can use the PlayStation App as an alternate keyboard as well as a secondary device to quickly navigate the PS4 dashboard and menus. For more info, check out this guide. As long as an account with PS+ has a particular system active as it's primary system, all accounts on that system (16 is the maximum per system) will be able to play online, regardless of whether the PS+ account is signed in or not. To set a PS4 system as the primary system for an account, go to [Settings] > [PSN] > [Activate as Your Primary PS4]. Note: This can also be used to deactivate the system as your primary. The DualShock 4's light pulsates when charging. It pulses slower the closer to fully charged it becomes. To view the actual amount left on a download and not just the amount remaining before you can start the application, go to [Notifications] > [Downloads] or [Settings] > [System Storage Management] > [Applications] and choose which app or game you want to see.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
So far i've only played AC4 and Resogun. About 2 hours of Resogun (holy crap this is addictive), and about 20 of AC4. Lots of fun in AC4, as I waited for the PS4 to play it. I'm very much enamored with the new controller, it's much more comfortable for my hands.

I'll be renting Knack and Killzone at some point, and am looking forward to that.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I have to say...I'm not a fan of the controller. It's just a little too small for my hands. I don't like to hold it with 2 fingers on the L/R buttons but then my middle finger hits the controller right under where the joysticks are. And the Share/Options buttons are too small.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Morgan Jolley said:
I have to say...I'm not a fan of the controller. It's just a little too small for my hands. I don't like to hold it with 2 fingers on the L/R buttons but then my middle finger hits the controller right under where the joysticks are. And the Share/Options buttons are too small.
You must have pretty big mitts. :D

Seriously , though, I do agree that it still feels a bit on the small side compared to the XBOX controllers I've used; however, the new controller is a marked improvement over the Dualshock3 as far as comfort goes. I also agree with you that the "share" and "options" buttons are too small. The option button is also a bit too close to the touchpad/button combo. A lot of time, in the dark, I kept pushing the touchpad button while I felt around for the options button.

I also think the finish isn't quite as nice as the PS3. It certainly doesn't say "higher end" like the initial PS3s did. I found that the case in certain areas on the matte finish side seemed inconsistent in colour; however, that is a small nit. At least, so far, I dodged getting one with a hinky HDMI output as some have been reporting. i put the thing through a bit of a torture test over the weekend. I had it running for pretty long stretches of time: enough to kill the batteries on both controllers at least once.

I have it in a credenza. There appears to be plenty of breathing room around the unit, but the fan kicks in regularly and it seems to be fairly loud. It is not as bad as my PS3 but still loud enough.

So far, I've tried a few games. Need for Speed: Rivals, Killzone, Contrast and Resogun. Out of all of them, I still find NFS to be the most fun.....and frustrating. Always overcontrol the car when I play that game, but the crash graphics can be spectacular at times. Funny thing is I find the car more controllable in first person view than in the third. Still wobble all over the road and crash into shit, just less so than in third person.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Resogun is a blast. I'm not sure its a monumental leap over anything that could be done on the PS3.. but it is awesome.

And Flower, redone on PS4 is an insane difference between it and the one on PS3... I figured it'd be a lot the same, but it really re-invents it and remains strange, but cool. Now I just need an updated Noby Noby Boy, a game that as near as I could tell had absolutely no point at all but was a lot of fun.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
Resogun is a blast. I'm not sure its a monumental leap over anything that could be done on the PS3.. but it is awesome.

And Flower, redone on PS4 is an insane difference between it and the one on PS3... I figured it'd be a lot the same, but it really re-invents it and remains strange, but cool. Now I just need an updated Noby Noby Boy, a game that as near as I could tell had absolutely no point at all but was a lot of fun.
I think Resogun is good; however, I was always shitty at playing those types of side scrollers. I've yet to find a side scroller that grabs me like JOUST did. I'm still trying to figure out what the point of throwing humans is. Also do you dump them somewhere or are they along for the duration? I also find the types of games I enjoy most are the story driven types. NFS doesn't really fall into that category, but I've always liked the game series strictly due to the mayhem and destruction that can be inflicted on the cars. RIVALS is typical NFS, but the graphics are eyecandy and there is plenty of cop action in it. In fact, maybe a bit too much. A lot of time you elude one cop and immediately spotted by another. I think I've had like three or four cop pursuits chained one after another. It gets ridiculously hard to elude them and I was playing it on easy. Who knows? Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it has been good for a laugh amongst all the swearing at getting busted.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Someone tests the performance difference in swapping out for an SSD or Hybrid.http://youtu.be/HGjSJwlHK6MSince I can get a 1TB Hybrid cheap, (less than $100) it seems like a good deal.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I set up my PS Vita for remote play with the PS4 and tried it out. It didn't take me long to figure out the advantages of having a game being downloaded to the drive like MS was or is doing. It's a drag not being able to play a game because the disc has to be present.As for the Vita/PS4 link via internet. It works ok but I noticed some image breakup while trying out Resogun. Couldn't get the link going between the PS3 and the Vita. Not quite sure what is hoing on there. It should work but doesn't.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
My Vita worked flawlessly over Remote Play and looked great. Try shutting the console down and restarting to get a good connection over LAN.

Resogun is great and I enjoy it a lot, just like Super Stardust HD, but I would never have bought it. Good thing it was free! And in regards to the humans in the game, you need to shoot stuff to free them, pick them up, then drop them off at the hovering green satellite things to save them.

I need to get the Assassin's Creed IV update that brings the game from 900p to 1080p. Saw some stuff online about it and it seems to make a HUGE difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks