Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Last Emperor 3D

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,203 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted November 13 2013 - 03:27 PM

http://www.hollywood...e-brings-655093

One of the last movies I would have expected to be converted.
facebook.com/whotony

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted November 13 2013 - 03:38 PM

It seems more films are now getting the conversion treatment than are actually being made using proper 3D cameras, it's crazy, it's also doomed to failure and it's why 3D is dying and people are losing interest.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Matthew Belson_295371

Matthew Belson_295371

Extra

• 16 posts
  • LocationWashington, NJ 07882

Posted November 13 2013 - 08:42 PM

It seems more films are now getting the conversion treatment than are actually being made using proper 3D cameras, it's crazy, it's also doomed to failure and it's why 3D is dying and people are losing interest.

"doomed to failure" ? I guess the $476 million worldwide (and counting) that Gravity took in is a failure?

FWIW, here is Bertolucci defending his 3D Last Emperor:

http://m.craveonline...last-emperor-3d

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted November 14 2013 - 05:50 AM

"doomed to failure" ? I guess the $476 million worldwide (and counting) that Gravity took in is a failure?

FWIW, here is Bertolucci defending his 3D Last Emperor:

http://m.craveonline...last-emperor-3d

I'm referring to the home, studies have shown that many who have 3D capable TV's hardly use them.

I don't think converting older films is a good idea, i would prefer to see more native shot 3D films and more 3D films which do not play it "safe", just my opinion of course.

Edited by FoxyMulder, November 14 2013 - 05:51 AM.

• Stephen_J_H likes this

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,203 posts

Posted November 14 2013 - 06:04 PM

http://www.amazon.it...=bluraycom0c-21
facebook.com/whotony

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Matthew Belson_295371

Matthew Belson_295371

Extra

• 16 posts
  • LocationWashington, NJ 07882

Posted November 15 2013 - 08:30 AM

Actually, I'd prefer less 3d altogether. I was hoping the fad would fade away like it did in the 1980s after the run of threequels killed it (Friday the 13th Part 3, Jaws 3-D, and Amityville 3-D). Obviously that's not going to happen this time since 3d has invaded our homes as well as our cinemas.

As for The Last Emperor, all I want for the home is an OAR transfer. Storaro can say what he wants about the image allegedly being composed for 2.00, but the Criterion edition looks cramped and poorly composed; I want 2.35 dammit, like we finally have for Apocalypse Now.

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,203 posts

Posted November 15 2013 - 08:49 AM

Actually, I'd prefer less 3d altogether. I was hoping the fad would fade away like it did in the 1980s after the run of threequels killed it (Friday the 13th Part 3, Jaws 3-D, and Amityville 3-D). Obviously that's not going to happen this time since 3d has invaded our homes as well as our cinemas.

As for The Last Emperor, all I want for the home is an OAR transfer. Storaro can say what he wants about the image allegedly being composed for 2.00, but the Criterion edition looks cramped and poorly composed; I want 2.35 dammit, like we finally have for Apocalypse Now.

I quess I'm a bit perplexed at why you woild "invade" a section of the forum dedicated to 3D if you feel so invaded by it yourself.
Also I dont think 3D can get into your home unless you put it there. So not exactly being an uninvited guest then.
Plus the non 3D versions of movies havent been wiped as an option so I think your argument is pretty ridiculous.

I like 3D in my home and want as much as I can get.

I will not buy this movie in any format until it is restored to theproper ratio.
  • Moe Dickstein and Jeffrey Nelson like this
facebook.com/whotony

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod

Second Unit

• 321 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted November 15 2013 - 10:18 AM

I am curious as to how involved... or not... that Bertolucci was in creating this new version of the film.  But please.... let's leave LAST TANGO IN PARIS and THE CONFORMIST flat.  

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,210 posts

Posted November 17 2013 - 08:52 PM

Storaro, an admittedly brilliant cinematographer, was on a big ego trip with this 2.00:1 ratio. He just wanted to have power and control, in my opinion, and be the one known for having introduced a better ratio. The argument he initially used to defend this ridiculous cropping of his earlier films was that it added resolution to t.v. screens, but that was before widescreen HD became the norm. What's his excuse now? THE LAST EMPEROR, like APOCALYPSE NOW before Lionsgate corrected it, shows instances of people and objects which are most decidedly cut off -- as in half a person on one edge of the frame, etc. If the film was composed for 2.00:1, as Storaro contends, why do we have these issues? I really do hope the new release will restore the film's original ratio, and that it will provide a 2-D as well as a 3-D version. 

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Brian McP

Brian McP

Second Unit

• 401 posts

Posted November 17 2013 - 09:51 PM

I have so many crappy officially released versions of this movie, through a myriad of distributors -- on vhs, laserdisc and dvd -- with 2.0 sound, non-anamorphic but letterboxed, directors cuts, restored versions, foreign versions --

I never bothered to buy any version released to date on bluray, so if they've converted the movie to 3D, they would have had to restore it up the wazoo to make sure the 3D registration works -- so I am very much looking forward to this new version of the picture.

I fear that this won't be in it's OAR for the sake of  accentuating all the 3D visuals -- but this time around, I don't care.

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,355 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted November 17 2013 - 10:43 PM

While I'm not really interested in a 3D conversion of this film, this thread has served a good purpose for me, because it caused me to do a little digging and find out that a Blu-ray was relased about a year ago in Japan with both cuts of the film, also with the proper 2.35:1 aspect ratio, with the audio in DTS-MA 5.1 English and the Japanese subtitles can be turned off. How did I miss this? It sounds like the definitive version of the film.

Edited by Mark-P, November 17 2013 - 10:44 PM.

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted November 17 2013 - 11:17 PM

While I'm not really interested in a 3D conversion of this film, this thread has served a good purpose for me, because it caused me to do a little digging and find out that a Blu-ray was relased about a year ago in Japan with both cuts of the film, also with the proper 2.35:1 aspect ratio, with the audio in DTS-MA 5.1 English and the Japanese subtitles can be turned off. How did I miss this? It sounds like the definitive version of the film.

Some caps for those interested.

http://caps-a-holic....iID=197#auswahl

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,593 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted November 18 2013 - 09:01 AM

Has anyone ordered from Amazon Japan before?

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Frank Bidart

Frank Bidart

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted November 18 2013 - 11:22 PM

It's extremely easy to order from Amazon Japan. You have an option to view the page in English. Not everything is translated, but generally enough to make your way. All Amazon pages everywhere in the world have the same layout. So if you have become a creature of Amazon, as I have, you can guess your way--even on Amazon websites that offer no English. I've ordered many, many items from Amazon Japan.

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,593 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted November 19 2013 - 06:46 AM

I asked because I didn't see where I could provide an overseas address, but found it on the second attempt. However, as tempting as the version is with all the version options, it's a little too rich for my blood. 

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,222 posts

Posted November 20 2013 - 03:44 AM

Ah, another "study" says that 3D is doomed and all that. Wow.

I like 3D and I also watch it at home from time to time. It's just another, alternate way to watch certain movies. It can be be a bit gimmick, but it also can be a art form on its own. Many 3D movies are probably somewhere in the middle.

Now let's say that certain people hate 3D, 3D is dying etc. But studios are still releasing 3D movies and many (most?) tv sets support that. And since 3D does well (at least) in the movie theatres, those same 3D movies will be also released on 3D Blu-ray.

So who is winning here? People like me who like 3D, or people who hate 3D?

Edited by Jari K, November 20 2013 - 03:58 AM.

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted November 20 2013 - 09:01 AM

So who is winning here? People like me who like 3D, or people who hate 3D?

If they end up just converting everything cheaply and the releases feature poor 3D then no one wins and i love great 3D.

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,053 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted November 20 2013 - 02:16 PM

I recently watched The Creature from the Black Lagoon for the first time in 3D, having viewed it in much younger years in 2D. I also remember the early 80s 3D revival with fondness, gimmicks and all (that includes the anaglyph broadcasts of Gorilla at Large, The Mad Magician, Revenge of the Creature et al). Creature is a great piece of 3D filmmaking; it has amazing depth and pop-out moments, as does House of Wax. Sadly, there seems to be no middle ground on this; 3D is either being used as a cash cow with questionable conversions (and don't get me wrong; some conversions are quite good, but it seems to depend on the amount of CG rendering involved), or as another tool in filmmaking, much like sound or colour. Say what you will about the gimmickry of the early 80s 3D films; at least they weren't afraid to "pierce the veil", which is something the studios currently fear, for the most part. If we want to keep interest in 3D, the key is not conversions, though the tools for conversion can also be used to fix alignment issues and other eyeball-shredding anomalies. The key is getting innovative filmmakers with a keen visual sense to use the technology. I, for one, would love to see someone like Duncan Jones make a 3D movie. Where is the harm in making a low-to-no budget 3D film, if the technology is used properly? Let these guys play with the tools and learn how they work.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users