What's new

Dumbass Sony admits PS4 won't support 3D Blus at launch (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's not a big deal as according to this site you just update the firmware and hey presto it will have support for 3D blu ray at launch.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/xbox-3d-201311113434.htm

From the above site.

As far as the Sony PS4 is concerned, Engadget has confirmed that the console will feature 3D Blu-ray support, just as its predecessor the PS3 does. To do so, users will be required to activate their console and download the initial 1.50 firmware update, then they’ll be ready to go. As well as Blu-rays, the PlayStation 4 will also support 3D gameplay.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sam Posten said:
Engadget's confirmation came before this was posted, they are incorrect, it is not part of 1.5 from what I have read.
I'm sure you know how good Sony have been with updating features in firmware, if it doesn't happen with 1.5 i feel it will happen shortly afterwards, remember how the PS3 got 3D despite not having HDMI 1.4, it'll happen.

( Had to edit several times there, system was playing up )

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Trust? Well, they are telling people before the console comes out so its not THAT big of an issue. Besides, they'll add it with a future firmware update. At worst, this puts PS4 at parity on this feature with XBOne.

Just to be clear, are you a big proponent of 3D movies or just upset that the console is losing a feature? And while I know we're all adults, isn't the thread title just a wee bit over the top/offensive/immature?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
XBOX One also will not support 3D Bluray on launch. This tends to tell me that some of the scuttlebut is right, and the issue isn't a Sony or MS problem, but an AMD driver problem.

Sam Posten said:
They should have admitted it in the FAQ last week. Tried to sneak one past us.
I don't know why. If it is what people expect, then it is something that could be fixed very quickly the moment they get an update. If they had thoughts of it being a Day1 update, then no big.

This is one both XBOX and PS4 will address.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Morgan Jolley said:
Trust? Well, they are telling people before the console comes out so its not THAT big of an issue. Besides, they'll add it with a future firmware update. At worst, this puts PS4 at parity on this feature with XBOne.

Just to be clear, are you a big proponent of 3D movies or just upset that the console is losing a feature? And while I know we're all adults, isn't the thread title just a wee bit over the top/offensive/immature?
Well it does seem pretty fucking stupid since the PS3 fully supports 3D blu-ray. Why the hell wouldn't a next gen machine do the same? Even without the need for a firmware update?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Jeff Cooper said:
Well it does seem pretty fucking stupid since the PS3 fully supports 3D blu-ray. Why the hell wouldn't a next gen machine do the same? Even without the need for a firmware update?
PS3 didn't for quite a while and required quite a few updates. Both new systems are using a new graphics processor, and unlike the PS3 Sony didn't design this one.. and neither did MS. So, neither system is ready because AMD didn't get the driver done in time.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I would imagine that, in the big rush to get the console out to stores in time for tomorrow, they neglected anything that wasn't pertinent to gaming. 3D Bluray support may be part of that. And, as I said in another thread, I doubt the XBOne will ever get 3D Bluray because of the complications that would lead to with their snap feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks