What's new

Home Theater virgin (1 Viewer)

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
Hello Folks,
We just moved into a house that has a basement and always had the dream of setting up a home theater.
Since this is a new home i am low on budget and have set aside 2-3K for my home

I am being told that all in one sony/samsung systems etc are just average and a good setup needs separate components. I have decided to get a BENQ W1070 (~$1000) and a Screen Model TBD
I am not looking for Speakers, Sub and a Amp. I already have a blu ray player.

Since this is a unfinished basement of a single detached home it is fairly large and i am planning to put the screen in a corner so there will be walls on two sides.

Energy take classic has good reviews but they say it is not for basement where its all open space and there is a need for loud sound..

Can someone suggest me some good speakers and amp to go with this. I was thinking of getting the Fluance system witht he Fluance subwoofer but i dont know if they will be significantly better than the 599$ sonly/samsung all in 1 system. http://fluance.com/product/XLHTB_High_Performance_5_Speaker_Surround_Sound_Home_Theater_Speaker_System.eng-104.html
Also if i get it i dont know which amp will go with it.. It may also strech my budget...

Any recommendations for budget good sounding floor standing speaker/amp combo that will set me back ~$1.5K

Thanks for taking the time to read my post...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You should never set up a room triangulated. Never.Fluance has decent stuff. Large rooms should have the largest speakers you can afford. Large speakers(typically) require less power than small speakers.AVR choice comes down to what you want it to do.Want 7.1? Buy 7.1.Want to run it with an iPad or android phone? Buy one capable of that.Want onboard Spotify/Rhapsody? Buy one with that stuff.

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
Thanks for your reply.

I am sot sure what you mean by triangulated room . This is how i plan to set it up: (is this triangulated)

(wall)
---------------------------------
tv speakers |
- ----- - |
|
| (wall)
- ---------------- - |
couch |

If traingulated is not good i can move the whole thing a little to the left so that it is open on all the 4 sides except the back. Unfortunately i dont have 3 walls in the basement.

I can stick to 5.1
Any recommendations on large speakers and amp. Are the Fluance ones indicated in the link large enough?

Thanks again

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
When you said corner, I assumed you meant...corner.Not off to the side. Off to the side means your speaker decision will be a bit tougher. Personally, I'd go with 4 tower speakers (Or 6) and just sit them on the floor.

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
Thanks.
Can you suggest some good budget models...in the Fluance price range

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
BIC DV64/84Polk MonitorInfinity PrimusFluance.If you do 7.1 you will need to move the couch at least 1/3 of the way into the room. The 6/7 are supposed to be the same distance from the main seat as the 4/5.

Reactions: csh

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You can do better than that sub for less money.

BIC F12/V1220
Lava LSP12

What sources you got?

Have a Wii or VCR?
Ipad or Droid?
Connecting a roku or a computer?

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
Price is back to 338 now.

I plan on connecting the following to the AMP. Can you suggest something good

1) Xbox (Always)
2) Blu Ray Player (Always)
3) PC (Occasionally)
4) Apple TV or Roku or similar (Always)
5) HD Antenna to catch local FTA channels i think it works on Coax (Always)

Are the 363 for rear right and rear left ok or is something else recommended?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My main 3 theaters are all towers, except the center. My office theater is 4 Infinity 3007 with what was a 3006 remade as a TV stand.Your antenna will need a tuner(Samsung SIR 451. Find one on ebay)I would stick with Onkyo. Lowest price where a front HDMI exists(for the occasional).

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
Thanks, you are very helpful. Any specific model good enough for a large basement

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
:) I dont like budgets either
Everything except the projector screen and sub was from amazon.com (Receiver is 989 on amazon.ca and 487 on amazon.com)
I live 45 minutes from Niagara Falls USA. What i usually do is pay $30 and rent a address for a month (lots of providers that provide this safely) and get everything shipped there. Then i drive across the border, pay ontario state taxes and duty and get them here)

Heck i pay 5$ a month to get an US IP address so that i can watch the american version of netflix instead of the canadian one (lot more content)

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
He says he has 5 so I guess I can get 4 and get the subCan I use the 5th one for centre and mount it horizontally

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks