What's new

Newbie, needs help with setting up surround speakers. (1 Viewer)

Jamie Bunker

Auditioning
Hello folks. I just received my first home theatre system for Christmas and cannot get my speakers to work.

Well I just hooked up my kenwood VR-506 Receiver and my 6 Quest surround speakers and no sound is coming out!! I can receive video perfectly from the receiver (via dvd and digital cable) but no sound so I think I have a wiring problem with the speakers. I think where I might of gone wrong is the connection of the speaker wire to the speakers. Am I suppsed to strip the rubber off quite a bit then insert it in to the connector? Or is it maybe something else I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance for all of your help.

AbelM

Second Unit
Ok, what you need to do is go around and make sure everything is connected securley into place.
Next step, make sure you have the same ends of the wire going into the same ends on the reciever as the speakers (i.e. if you have black and red colors on the back of your reciever, make the sure that the black wire is going all the way to the back of the black color on the speaker.)
Lastly, make sure you have everything in their correct place on the back of the reciever. :D

Ryan Hammond

Auditioning
First thing you should do is check the speaker connections. You should have stripped off the ends of the wire, and attached the 2 wires to the + & - terminals to the speaker, and ensure that you connect the same +/- wires to the surround speaker outputs of your receiver respectively. Note that on a set of speaker wires (2 wires together) 1 should have some writing on it, the other doesn't (easy way to ensure you connect + to +, and - to -).

Make sure that your receiver is set to Dolby Surround, Dolby Digital or DTS to send the signals to the surround speakers.

If you still hear nothing, try wiring your surround speakers to your main speaker outputs (L and R front) on your receiver to check to make sure the surround speakers do in fact work.

Are your main speakers and center channel speaker working correctly? What audio connections did you use from your DVD to your receiver (optical cable, digital coaxial, or standard RCA)? I hope this helped...

Jamie Bunker

Auditioning
I tried everything (doublechecking connections, stripping the wire more, etc) and nothing. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
jammie,

Most receivers have a 'speaker off' mode. Maybe your

speakers are just turned off.

JRS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks