What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Jane Eyre (1944) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Jane Eyre, directed by Robert Stevenson, is one of those films...

rather like The Third Man...

that one could watch without viewing the main titles, and just know. Just absolutely know, that it was directed by Orson Welles.

The lighting, the camerawork, the angles. It's all there. It was photographed by George Barnes (look him up.) Bernard Herrmann had something to do with the score.

Of course, Mr. Welles does have an actual role in the film. He plays Mr. Rochester. No, please don't confuse this with Mr. Benny's helper.

Everything is in place in this gothic production. The acting is absolutely perfect, led by a few interesting children in the early scenes -- Margaret O'Brien, a magnificent Peggy Ann Garner, and a newcomer, strangely uncredited whose name was Taylor.

Henry Daniell is up to his nefarious best. Agnes Moorehead, appearing as if she'd just come off the set of Ambersons, leaning against that hot boiler. Sara Allgood, who'd been in films since 1918.

Here's the kicker.

You'll see warnings that original materials don't survive, and the Blu-ray is as good as it can be.

Don't heed them.

The gang at Fox has taken what they have and made something very special out of it.

Buy this Blu-ray and be ready for a Wellesian ride.

What an interesting month for Twilight Time!

Image - 3.5

Audio - 4

Highly Recommended.

RAH

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I just watched this film for the first time ever, and the movie was so good I never thought much about the image quality except IMO it looked better than I would have expected. Jane Eyre features so many great shots. Great BLU release, and wow uncredited young unmistakable Elizabeth Taylor! Don't hesitate to buy this one!

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I was afraid but it looks fantastic. I have been waiting a loong time for this one. Could Joan Fontaine look any more homely in that first shot? What a face!

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Margaret O'Brien and Elizabeth Taylor are my favorite parts of this film. A beautiful black and white Gothic masterpiece I can watch over and over. Twilight Time is always at the top of their game! What would we do without them.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Powell&Pressburger said:
Also wanted to mention that the Nick Redman, Julie Kirgo and Steven C Smith is really good. Makes this BLU and even more special release.
So glad you liked it, P&P, we recorded that around 2007 I think, for inclusion on the Fox DVD. It was a particularly enjoyable chat for us, and hopefully for the listeners as well!

N.

SeanAx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean Axmaker
Twilight Time's Blu-ray is my first viewing of it in a decade. What a magnificent Gothic atmosphere, so beautifully sculpted by Hollywood studio craft and creative lighting, a lot of that from Welles. His performance is superb and this could have launched him as America's Olivier. I would love to know if a serious restoration could rescue some of the flaws, or is even possible.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
The film looks beautiful. I can watch this film over and over. The best lighting ever done. Wow, they made these sets look so creepy with just lighting. SPOILER ALERT: And I love that the wife is never shown.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Is there a chance that Fox could release this in the UK, either by themselves or a Twilight Time type deal with a small label. ?

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
RIP Joan Fontaine

1468607_10100727918613287_1389091370_n.jpg

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Only yesterday I mentioned to a friend how amazing that the two sisters were still alive (though not speaking to one another). Farewell Joan, we loved you in your splendid roles....... to my mind, none finer than the second Mrs deWinter.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
AnthonyClarke said:
Only yesterday I mentioned to a friend how amazing that the two sisters were still alive (though not speaking to one another). Farewell Joan, we loved you in your splendid roles....... to my mind, none finer than the second Mrs deWinter.
Oliva wins. Or does she?

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Well, Olivia certainly won the lifestyle award by deciding to live in Paris, one of the world's great cities (though given a choice and income to suit, I'd choose Rome) and I guess her two Oscars did trump Joan's one .. but despite Olivia's wonderful movies with Errol Flynn, I guess 'Rebecca' and 'Jane Eyre' were the classiest efforts. What a shame the girls didn't get on......

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
AnthonyClarke said:
Well, Olivia certainly won the lifestyle award by deciding to live in Paris, one of the world's great cities (though given a choice and income to suit, I'd choose Rome) and I guess her two Oscars did trump Joan's one .. but despite Olivia's wonderful movies with Errol Flynn, I guess 'Rebecca' and 'Jane Eyre' were the classiest efforts. What a shame the girls didn't get on......
I'm sure some people feel that Gone With The Wind was quite a bit "classier" than Rebecca.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yes I agree that there certainly would be some people who would prefer 'Gone With the Wind'. I can't understand that myself but I'm happy people have a choice.... anyway, both sisters were totally wonderful. Joan in 'Rebecca' and Olivia in 'Robin Hood' .. what a great double act!

Users who are viewing this thread