A Few Words About Fox Twilight Time Blu-ray

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,434 posts

Posted November 12 2013 - 04:48 PM

Jane Eyre, directed by Robert Stevenson, is one of those films...

rather like The Third Man...

that one could watch without viewing the main titles, and just know.  Just absolutely know, that it was directed by Orson Welles.

The lighting, the camerawork, the angles.  It's all there.  It was photographed by George Barnes (look him up.)  Bernard Herrmann had something to do with the score.

Of course, Mr. Welles does have an actual role in the film.  He plays Mr. Rochester.  No, please don't confuse this with Mr. Benny's helper.

Everything is in place in this gothic production.  The acting is absolutely perfect, led by a few interesting children in the early scenes -- Margaret O'Brien, a magnificent Peggy Ann Garner, and a newcomer, strangely uncredited whose name was Taylor.

Henry Daniell is up to his nefarious best.  Agnes Moorehead, appearing as if she'd just come off the set of Ambersons, leaning against that hot boiler.  Sara Allgood, who'd been in films since 1918.

Here's the kicker.

You'll see warnings that original materials don't survive, and the Blu-ray is as good as it can be.

Don't heed them.

The gang at Fox has taken what they have and made something very special out of it.

Buy this Blu-ray and be ready for a Wellesian ride.

What an interesting month for Twilight Time!

Image - 3.5

Audio - 4

Highly Recommended.

RAH

• Mark Walker likes this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 23 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,153 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted November 12 2013 - 08:44 PM

I just watched this film for the first time ever, and the movie was so good I never thought much about the image quality except IMO it looked better than I would have expected. Jane Eyre features so many great shots. Great BLU release, and wow uncredited young unmistakable Elizabeth Taylor!

Don't hesitate to buy this one!

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#3 of 23 noel aguirre

noel aguirre

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted November 12 2013 - 09:04 PM

I was afraid but it looks fantastic. I have been waiting a loong time for this one. Could Joan Fontaine look any more homely in that first shot? What a face!

#4 of 23 warnerbro

warnerbro

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts
  • LocationBurbank, California

Posted November 13 2013 - 10:16 AM

Margaret O'Brien and Elizabeth Taylor are my favorite parts of this film.  A beautiful black and white Gothic masterpiece I can watch over and over.  Twilight Time is always at the top of their game!  What would we do without them.

#5 of 23 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,153 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted November 13 2013 - 06:05 PM

Also wanted to mention that the Nick Redman, Julie Kirgo and Steven C Smith is really good. Makes this BLU and even more special release.
  • Twilight Time likes this

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#6 of 23 Twilight Time

Twilight Time

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted November 13 2013 - 06:34 PM

Also wanted to mention that the Nick Redman, Julie Kirgo and Steven C Smith is really good. Makes this BLU and even more special release.

So glad you liked it, P&P, we recorded that around 2007 I think, for inclusion on the Fox DVD. It was a particularly enjoyable chat for us, and hopefully for the listeners as well!

N.

• Mark Walker and davidmatychuk like this
";s:7:"insider

#7 of 23 SeanAx

SeanAx

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted November 14 2013 - 10:12 PM

Twilight Time's Blu-ray is my first viewing of it in a decade. What a magnificent Gothic atmosphere, so beautifully sculpted by Hollywood studio craft and creative lighting, a lot of that from Welles. His performance is superb and this could have launched him as America's Olivier. I would love to know if a serious restoration could rescue some of the flaws, or is even possible.

Sean Axmaker
Videophiled, the home video column of Cinephiled (http://www.cinephiled.com/)
Editor of Parallax View (http://parallax-view.org)
Member of the Online Film Critics Society (http://www.rottentom...com/author-229/)

#8 of 23 battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 711 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted November 18 2013 - 02:14 PM

Call me ignorant, stupid, what you will - but how do you pronounce this title?

Is it "eye-er" "air" ?
I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#9 of 23 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,003 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 18 2013 - 02:16 PM

Call me ignorant, stupid, what you will - but how do you pronounce this title?

Is it "eye-er" "air" ?

"air"

#10 of 23 battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 711 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted November 18 2013 - 02:17 PM

Thank you. I felt stupid asking, but I've never known how to pronounce it.
I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#11 of 23 Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,088 posts

Posted November 18 2013 - 04:50 PM

Don't forget about SCTV's "Jane Eyrehead"

Buying this for the missus for Xmas! 

#12 of 23 warnerbro

warnerbro

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts
  • LocationBurbank, California

Posted November 22 2013 - 09:11 AM

The film looks beautiful.  I can watch this film over and over.  The best lighting ever done.  Wow, they made these sets look so creepy with just lighting.  SPOILER ALERT:  And I love that the wife is never shown.

#13 of 23 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,761 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted December 05 2013 - 10:26 AM

Is there a chance that Fox could release this in the UK, either by themselves or a Twilight Time type deal with a small label. ?

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#14 of 23 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,686 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted December 15 2013 - 06:09 PM

So now the news says we lost Joan Fontaine. Glad I got this Blu. RIP MISS FONTAINE.

#15 of 23 Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,194 posts

Posted December 16 2013 - 05:21 AM

RIP Joan Fontaine

1468607_10100727918613287_1389091370_n.j

#16 of 23 AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Supporting Actor

• 837 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted December 16 2013 - 04:34 PM

Only yesterday I mentioned to a friend how amazing that the two sisters were still alive (though not speaking to one another). Farewell Joan, we loved you in your splendid roles....... to my mind, none finer than the second Mrs deWinter.

• JohnMor likes this

#17 of 23 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,686 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted December 16 2013 - 07:09 PM

Only yesterday I mentioned to a friend how amazing that the two sisters were still alive (though not speaking to one another). Farewell Joan, we loved you in your splendid roles....... to my mind, none finer than the second Mrs deWinter.

Oliva wins. Or does she?

#18 of 23 AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Supporting Actor

• 837 posts

Posted December 17 2013 - 03:45 PM

Well, Olivia certainly won the lifestyle award by deciding to live in Paris, one of the world's great cities (though given a choice and income to suit, I'd choose Rome) and I guess her two Oscars did trump Joan's one .. but despite Olivia's wonderful movies with Errol Flynn, I guess 'Rebecca' and 'Jane Eyre' were the classiest efforts. What a shame the girls didn't get on......

• ahollis likes this

#19 of 23 Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,808 posts

Posted December 17 2013 - 10:27 PM

Well, Olivia certainly won the lifestyle award by deciding to live in Paris, one of the world's great cities (though given a choice and income to suit, I'd choose Rome) and I guess her two Oscars did trump Joan's one .. but despite Olivia's wonderful movies with Errol Flynn, I guess 'Rebecca' and 'Jane Eyre' were the classiest efforts. What a shame the girls didn't get on......

I'm sure some people feel that Gone With The Wind was quite a bit "classier" than Rebecca.

#20 of 23 AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Supporting Actor

• 837 posts

Posted December 17 2013 - 11:48 PM

Yes I agree that there certainly would be some people who would prefer 'Gone With the Wind'. I can't understand that myself but I'm happy people have a choice....  anyway, both sisters were totally wonderful. Joan in 'Rebecca' and Olivia in 'Robin Hood' .. what a great double act!

• ahollis likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About, Fox, Twilight Time, Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users