Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Oliver! -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About Twilight Time Sony Pictures Blu-ray

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#41 of 148 OFFLINE   Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,316 posts

Posted November 15 2013 - 06:42 AM

TT has a few additonal extras: Isolated score/effects, and sing alongs/dance instructions/dance&sing alongs. I have no idea what these sing alongs etc are.

Anyone who has seen me dance or heard me sing will be begging me to buy the UK version.

;)

Steve W

• Rob_Ray and David Weicker like this
Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#42 of 148 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,130 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted November 15 2013 - 09:02 AM

TT has a few additonal extras: Isolated score/effects, and sing alongs/dance instructions/dance&sing alongs. I have no idea what these sing alongs etc are.

The sing alongs are clips of most of the film's musical numbers with the lyrics on the screen.

The three dance instruction videos are for the numbers “Food, Glorious Food,” “Be Back Soon,” and “I’d Do Anything,” followed by split screen dance and sing-alongs for the same three songs (the dancer dressed up like Nancy is on one side and the musical number is on the other side).

Rich Gallagher

#43 of 148 OFFLINE   John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted November 15 2013 - 11:44 AM

Since I think MY FAIR LADY is one of the worst films ever made, I'm glad that I know OLIVER! to be far superior, in every way.  On its way, and I'm looking forward to this Blu! ;)

#44 of 148 ONLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,917 posts

Posted November 15 2013 - 03:04 PM

Since I think MY FAIR LADY is one of the worst films ever made . . . 

In a forum such as this, the biggest single cliche is: you're entitled to your opinion. In your case, we'll have to amend that to: you're lucky you're entitled to your opinion! :)

Edited by Robin9, November 15 2013 - 03:04 PM.

• AnthonyClarke likes this

#45 of 148 OFFLINE   Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Supporting Actor

• 504 posts

Posted November 15 2013 - 07:07 PM

Since I think MY FAIR LADY is one of the worst films ever made, I'm glad that I know OLIVER! to be far superior, in every way.  On its way, and I'm looking forward to this Blu! ;)

Are you basing your opinion on the Blu-ray?  DVD?  35mm showing or 70mm showing.  There is a difference.  It will be interesting to learn what you think of Oliver as both MFL and Oliver imo are the two best musicals ever made.

#46 of 148 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,859 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted November 15 2013 - 07:41 PM

I think it's nice that releases should keep these bits in, but surely in the cinema people went to get a second bag of popcorn when there was an intermission.

Serious question here - do people actually sit and listen to the intermission music as part of the film? If so, my understanding is that most (if not all) Blu-ray Discs with an intermission only run it for a couple of minutes instead of the 15 or 20 it would have had originally.

Surely that's a far greater difference than whether or not there's a title card up, isn't it?

Steve W

After the Intermission title card fades I stop the disk and allow my guests to excuse themselves to the bathrooms or fix another jack and coke for them. They seem appreciative.
  • Yorkshire likes this
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#47 of 148 OFFLINE   moviebuff75

moviebuff75

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted November 15 2013 - 08:08 PM

I've wondered for some time what the original Intermission card for "Gone With the Wind" looked like. I guess I'll never know. The Blu-ray Intermission card/music is nice though.

Proud HTF Member Since: April, 2001

#48 of 148 OFFLINE   John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted November 16 2013 - 08:21 AM

Are you basing your opinion on the Blu-ray?  DVD?  35mm showing or 70mm showing.  There is a difference.  It will be interesting to learn what you think of Oliver as both MFL and Oliver imo are the two best musicals ever made.

On the original 1964 road show at The Stanley Theater in Philadelphia, PA.  MY FAIR LADY is my favorite musical, and I couldn't wait to see the movie.  It, in no way, reminded me of the musical I saw in 1959, on stage.  It was inferior, in every way, to what I experienced on stage.  I hated every, plodding second of it.   A really great film transcends venue and format.  MY FAIR LADY was dull, staid and uncinematic, even in 1964.  It was as if all involved had no idea they were making a movie.  But this thread is about OLIVER!, a film where everyone involved knew they were making a movie.  I'm looking forward to receiving the Blu-ray.  Hopefully, today. 

#49 of 148 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,372 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted November 17 2013 - 12:40 AM

A superb transfer of this wonderful film.

#50 of 148 OFFLINE   John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted November 17 2013 - 08:04 AM

I guess mine will be here on Monday.  So looking forward to it.

• moviebuff75 likes this

#51 of 148 OFFLINE   Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,316 posts

Posted November 17 2013 - 08:24 AM

After the Intermission title card fades I stop the disk and allow my guests to excuse themselves to the bathrooms or fix another jack and coke for them. They seem appreciative.

People's film-watching habits interest me.  I know some people refuse to budge at the end of a film until the end credits have finished, whilst others stand up as soon as the first line of the titles roll.

I've not watched too many films at home with an intermission, and for the life of me I can't remember what I did at the break.  I'm pretty sure I'd remember if I sat there and listened to the music, so I don't think I ever had.  I know for certain that, if I did, I wouldn't sit staring at the screen or anything else for that matter - I tend not to do that when listening to music.

Vive la difference!

Steve W

• ahollis likes this
Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#52 of 148 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,626 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted November 17 2013 - 01:16 PM

A superb transfer of this wonderful film.

I watched it last night, and I quite agree. It looked wonderful. The sound level was somewhat low, so I did adjust that.

• ahollis likes this

#53 of 148 OFFLINE   bryan4999

bryan4999

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted November 18 2013 - 10:26 AM

Normally I set my receiver to "direct" mode, but for this film I set it to Pro-Logic. I found the sound field more pleasing that way. After watching Oliver!, I put in Funny Girl (same year and studio). Funny Girl sounds much richer to me. Too bad the original recordings for Oliver! have been lost. It seems inconceivable that they would have been lost given the scale of the production and all the awards it won.

#54 of 148 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,227 posts

Posted November 18 2013 - 11:12 AM

Normally I set my receiver to "direct" mode, but for this film I set it to Pro-Logic. I found the sound field more pleasing that way.

The film has DTS-HD Master 5.1 track. Why do want to use Pro Logic with that? Just curious...

#55 of 148 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,609 posts

Posted November 18 2013 - 11:28 AM

I watched it last night, and I quite agree. It looked wonderful. The sound level was somewhat low, so I did adjust that.

Every previous video incarnation of Oliver! had a track several db below normal.  Possibly something to do with tones on leader.  Have no idea.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#56 of 148 OFFLINE   bryan4999

bryan4999

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted November 18 2013 - 12:17 PM

The film has DTS-HD Master 5.1 track. Why do want to use Pro Logic with that? Just curious...

I like using Pro-Logic for Oliver!  because the 5.1 track is very stingy on the surrounds, and my subwoofer didn't come on at all that I was aware of. At first I thought something was set wrong with my system, so that's why I put in Funny Girl as a check. With FG all the speakers including sub were busy during musical sequences. So, with Oliver! I switched to Pro Logic just to see how it sounded, and I liked the fact that it filled the surrounds with music while leaving the solo vocals up front. As I said, I generally use the direct mode to be as true to the original as possible, but in this case I like the "music bubble" that Pro Logic creates.

#57 of 148 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,609 posts

Posted November 18 2013 - 01:02 PM

I like using Pro-Logic for Oliver!  because the 5.1 track is very stingy on the surrounds, and my subwoofer didn't come on at all that I was aware of. At first I thought something was set wrong with my system, so that's why I put in Funny Girl as a check. With FG all the speakers including sub were busy during musical sequences. So, with Oliver! I switched to Pro Logic just to see how it sounded, and I liked the fact that it filled the surrounds with music while leaving the solo vocals up front. As I said, I generally use the direct mode to be as true to the original as possible, but in this case I like the "music bubble" that Pro Logic creates.

There never was any low frequency information Oliver!  Subs should be seen and not heard.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#58 of 148 OFFLINE   bryan4999

bryan4999

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted November 18 2013 - 01:12 PM

There never was any low frequency information Oliver!  Subs should be seen and not heard.

RAH

Why would the soundtrack be coded for .1 when there is nothing there? Or perhaps the package was mis-labeled? Other discs of classics will say 5.0 when that is the case. When a classic musical does have LFE information, is that from the original or was it remixed that way for home video?

#59 of 148 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,609 posts

Posted November 18 2013 - 01:35 PM

Why would the soundtrack be coded for .1 when there is nothing there? Or perhaps the package was mis-labeled? Other discs of classics will say 5.0 when that is the case. When a classic musical does have LFE information, is that from the original or was it remixed that way for home video?

Can still be 5.1 with a null .1  It's all just a bucket that holds audio.

RAH

#60 of 148 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,370 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted November 18 2013 - 02:37 PM

I've mentioned this somewhere in the forums before, but the Oliver Blu-ray soundtrack has a mono surround channel so that it is technically 4.0 (or 4.1) even though it is flagged as 5.1. The only reason I know this is because when I engage EX the surround channel collapses into the center back speaker.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About, Twilight Time, Sony Pictures, Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users