Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Oliver! -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About Twilight Time Sony Pictures Blu-ray

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#21 of 148 OFFLINE   Kenneth_C

Kenneth_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 242 posts

Posted November 13 2013 - 08:58 AM

Actually, I too would like a final confirmation that the TT and UK versions look the same.

I had posted this previously in the earlier Oliver! thread:

In a discussion on Twilight Time's Facebook page, TT posted:

The transfer will be the same [as the UK/German release] (however the authoring will be different) -- we have chapter stops with images on the pop-up menu... and a few extras unique to our release...

Edited by Kenneth_C, November 13 2013 - 08:59 AM.

#22 of 148 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 948 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted November 13 2013 - 09:25 AM

I received the German bluray last summer and just watched the Twilight Time version last night.  They look the same except the German version has visuals for the overture and intermission that are the same as were on the DVD.  The Twilight Time version has black over the overture and intermission music.

What sort of visuals, exactly?

#23 of 148 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,651 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted November 13 2013 - 09:31 AM

What sort of visuals, exactly?

It has the drawing of St. Paul's Cathedral lifted from the opening credits, with the words "Overture", etc. in the main title font style.

#24 of 148 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,538 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted November 13 2013 - 02:48 PM

While the transfer is most likely the same, the authoring is not.  And I think we all know that authoring is very important in how transfers present.  I've been told that the region free discs do NOT look as good as the Twilight Time, and I've been told that by people I trust.  But, you know, save ten bucks. :)

Edited by haineshisway, November 13 2013 - 02:48 PM.

#25 of 148 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,580 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted November 13 2013 - 03:18 PM

While the transfer is most likely the same, the authoring is not.  And I think we all know that authoring is very important in how transfers present.  I've been told that the region free discs do NOT look as good as the Twilight Time, and I've been told that by people I trust.  But, you know, save ten bucks. :)

For me it was more like a savings of $20 as I paid about $12 to import the Italian disc. I'm sure the authoring differences are minimal and I seriously doubt that I could tell the difference.

#26 of 148 OFFLINE   warnerbro

warnerbro

Stunt Coordinator

• 249 posts
  • LocationBurbank, California

Posted November 13 2013 - 03:37 PM

I have both and I prefer the new Twilight Time version.  It has scene access and a super-cool booklet with original artwork.  It might also be a tad cleaner.  It also has more extras.

#27 of 148 OFFLINE   Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,335 posts

Posted November 14 2013 - 01:43 AM

Oliver! on Blu-ray in the UK would cost me £8.  From TT, with import costs, etc, it'd be maybe £40.  That's not $10.  That's £32 which is over $50.  I seem to remember that previous imports from TT have cost £35 + about £10 for the postage if I wanted it delivery guarenteed.

Oliver! is not one of my favourite films, but it's a good film.  If it were in my Top 10 I might go for the TT version (Sexy Beast is in my Top 10 and I imported despite already having the UK Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD versions), but I can't really justify that much extra for a film that's not in my Top 100.

Ultimately, whilst the discs may look a little different, I'm not hearing anything so far indicating a substantial difference.  Saying the UK version does NOT look as good may be true.  But just be putting NOT in capitals doesn't make the difference particularly large.

I'll still wait for further information, discussion, etc.

Steve W

Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#28 of 148 OFFLINE   BJQ1972

BJQ1972

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted November 14 2013 - 02:07 AM

Oliver! on Blu-ray in the UK would cost me £8.  From TT, with import costs, etc, it'd be maybe £40.  That's not $10.  That's £32 which is over $50.  I seem to remember that previous imports from TT have cost £35 + about £10 for the postage if I wanted it delivery guarenteed.

Without the excessive 'insurance' charges TT release cost around 25GBP delivered.

I have never paid the extra, and all my TT release have arrived safely. There would never be any import costs, because of Screen Archives' customs declarations.

Regarding the authoring, I got the impression that the TT FB post was referring to the disc menu structure rather than any encoding differences betwen the the two versions. There are many more audio tracks and subtitle options on the UK disc, so it could affect compression, but it is a 50GB disc so should there should be ample room.

Edited by BJQ1972, November 14 2013 - 02:12 AM.

#29 of 148 OFFLINE   Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,335 posts

Posted November 14 2013 - 03:23 AM

Without the excessive 'insurance' charges TT release cost around 25GBP delivered.

I have never paid the extra, and all my TT release have arrived safely. There would never be any import costs, because of Screen Archives' customs declarations.

Regarding the authoring, I got the impression that the TT FB post was referring to the disc menu structure rather than any encoding differences betwen the the two versions. There are many more audio tracks and subtitle options on the UK disc, so it could affect compression, but it is a 50GB disc so should there should be ample room.

I see where you're coming from, but I was just trying to get a level playing field.

If I order Oliver! from Amazon UK and it doesn't arrive, they send me another.  It's only fair to compare the price of a TT release with exactly the same guarantee.

I too have never had a TT release go missing.  But then again it was a long time before I ever had an Amazon order go missing, and I order from them a lot.

Even at a flat rate of £25 that's a £17 difference, which by today's exchange rate is knocking on for $30, not $10.

All I'm trying to say is that ordering this from TT will cost me a great deal more than $10 extra.

Back to the authoring - can anyone comment on how often Sony UK have fowled up a Blu-ray Disc?

Steve W

Edited by Yorkshire, November 14 2013 - 03:44 AM.

#30 of 148 OFFLINE   Ravi K

Ravi K

Supporting Actor

• 707 posts

Posted November 14 2013 - 03:45 PM

I'm considering buying the UK version. Is the booklet that comes with TT's version worth the almost $20 more I'd have to spend?

#31 of 148 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,042 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted November 14 2013 - 10:17 PM

Deleted

Edited by ahollis, November 14 2013 - 10:20 PM.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#32 of 148 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,042 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted November 14 2013 - 10:23 PM

I received the German bluray last summer and just watched the Twilight Time version last night. They look the same except the German version has visuals for the overture and intermission that are the same as were on the DVD. The Twilight Time version has black over the overture and intermission music.

And as it should be. Black over the Overture and Intermission.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#33 of 148 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,693 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted November 15 2013 - 02:41 AM

And as it should be. Black over the Overture and Intermission.

I don't see why it should be like that, it's not like that in the cinema. You get lit-up curtains, that's what I'd like to see, & the curtains open on a black screen just before the film starts for that cinema experience.

#34 of 148 OFFLINE   Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,335 posts

Posted November 15 2013 - 02:46 AM

This is what you're looking for:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=50AF-uFpRtc

Steve W

#35 of 148 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,042 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted November 15 2013 - 03:35 AM

I don't see why it should be like that, it's not like that in the cinema. You get lit-up curtains, that's what I'd like to see, & the curtains open on a black screen just before the film starts for that cinema experience.

Well considering my home theatre screen is right at 10' across with curtains in front and lights in front of curtains that dim, I prefer the black scree while the overture, Entr'acte, and exorcist music play. When it not black and has a visual as Warner always does, I have to cover the lens until each is over. 😄

#36 of 148 OFFLINE   Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,335 posts

Posted November 15 2013 - 04:00 AM

I think it's nice that releases should keep these bits in, but surely in the cinema people went to get a second bag of popcorn when there was an intermission.

Serious question here - do people actually sit and listen to the intermission music as part of the film?  If so, my understanding is that most (if not all) Blu-ray Discs with an intermission only run it for a couple of minutes instead of the 15 or 20 it would have had originally.

Surely that's a far greater difference than whether or not there's a title card up, isn't it?

Steve W

#37 of 148 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,533 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted November 15 2013 - 04:24 AM

POPULAR

Well considering my home theatre screen is right at 10' across with curtains in front and lights in front of curtains that dim, I prefer the black scree while the overture, Entr'acte, and exorcist music play. When it not black and has a visual as Warner always does, I have to cover the lens until each is over.

Okay, ahollis is starting to scare me now.

Edited by Charles Smith, November 15 2013 - 04:39 AM.

#38 of 148 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,270 posts

Posted November 15 2013 - 05:10 AM

TT has a few additonal extras: Isolated score/effects, and sing alongs/dance instructions/dance&sing alongs. I have no idea what these sing alongs etc are.

#39 of 148 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,651 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted November 15 2013 - 06:00 AM

I think it's nice that releases should keep these bits in, but surely in the cinema people went to get a second bag of popcorn when there was an intermission.

Serious question here - do people actually sit and listen to the intermission music as part of the film?  If so, my understanding is that most (if not all) Blu-ray Discs with an intermission only run it for a couple of minutes instead of the 15 or 20 it would have had originally.

Surely that's a far greater difference than whether or not there's a title card up, isn't it?

Steve W

I never skip over the intermission music.  It puts me in the proper mood for the second half of the film, just as it did in theatres.  And theatres never had 15 or 20 minutes worth of music during the break.  The music heard on BluRay discs started just a few minutes before resuming the film as a way to settle the audience down for the second act.

#40 of 148 OFFLINE   Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,335 posts

Posted November 15 2013 - 06:41 AM

Cheers.

Steve W

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users