-

Photo
- - - - -

If you could live anywhere in TV on DVD Land...

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#41 of 150 jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 937 posts

Posted November 12 2013 - 07:21 PM

Easiest choice would be Earth during Star Trek: The Next Generation.  Some of my favorite SF novels have dealt with post-scarcity societies and I'd love the chance to live in one of them and Star Trek fits the bill.

Same here.

Not directly a tv show world per say, but I always wondered what it would be like to live on planet Coruscant in the expanded Star Wars universe.

#42 of 150 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,842 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted November 12 2013 - 07:30 PM

Not directly a tv show world per say, but I always wondered what it would be like to live on planet Coruscant in the expanded Star Wars universe.

If you hear the Yuuzhan Vong are on their way, head to another planet. Any other planet.

#43 of 150 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,251 posts

Posted November 12 2013 - 07:46 PM

This is a great topic - thanks, Gary!

As much as I adore TAGS and Mayberry, I don't think I could last long in a town where if I said all my neighbors were "Gomers" it could be taken literally :)

My pick would be New Rochelle from TDVDS.  It is intelligent, professional, solid middle to upper middle class with rock solid values but the people aren't afraid to cut it up and have a rollicking fun time and live it up.  Plus PTA meetings would be a delight with Laura Petrie in attendance. 

• Gary OS and Jeff Willis like this
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#44 of 150 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,191 posts

Posted November 12 2013 - 08:01 PM

I too love this topic.  I've been thinking about other fictional places, and a few more that come to mind are Deneva and the planet in The Paradise Syndrome (TOS), Walnut Grove (Little House On the Prairie), and Walton's Mountain (The Waltons).

Regulus,

Nice roller coaster!  Although the 'Shore Leave' planet has always struck me as being very beautiful, the 'holodeck-like' capabilities of the planet certainly would be intriguing too. :)

Edited by Ockeghem, November 12 2013 - 08:24 PM.

• Jeff Willis likes this

#45 of 150 Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,557 posts

Posted November 12 2013 - 08:05 PM

This is a great topic - thanks, Gary!

As much as I adore TAGS and Mayberry, I don't think I could last long in a town where if I said all my neighbors were "Gomers" it could be taken literally :)

My pick would be New Rochelle from TDVDS.  It is intelligent, professional, solid middle to upper middle class with rock solid values but the people aren't afraid to cut it up and have a rollicking fun time and live it up.  Plus PTA meetings would be a delight with Laura Petrie in attendance. 

Can't fault that argument for New Rochelle, especially the Laura Petrie part.  Along those same lines, Steve, I have to reconsider the Jupiter Two.  It might not be that bad (although Major West would have to go).  :D

Gary "as a vacation home, to really get away from everything, I'd consider the Quest's Palm Key compound" O.

• Jeff Willis likes this
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#46 of 150 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,178 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted November 12 2013 - 08:18 PM

I haven't thought long and hard about this, but I can definitely echo the sentiments of a few others by saying:

The NYC and Connecticut of I LOVE LUCY

The NYC and New Rochelle of DICK VAN DYKE

and adding:

The Hollywood (LA? SF Valley?) of LOVE THAT BOB (though my memories of this one are pretty vague)

#47 of 150 Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,122 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted November 12 2013 - 08:25 PM

Can't fault that argument for New Rochelle, especially the Laura Petrie part.  Along those same lines, Steve, I have to reconsider the Jupiter Two.  It might not be that bad (although Major West would have to go).  :D

Gary "as a vacation home, to really get away from everything, I'd consider the Quest's Palm Key compound" O.

Wouldn't you rather be rid of Dr. Smith? :lol:

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#48 of 150 Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,557 posts

Posted November 12 2013 - 08:35 PM

Wouldn't you rather be rid of Dr. Smith? :lol:

Not if Judy is in play.  Dr Smith poses no romantic threat.  Then again, if everyone is dead because of his scheming I guess romance wouldn't matter.  :lol:

Gary "of course I'm happily married, so why I'm even talking like this is anybody's guess" O. :D

• Jeff Willis and Ron1973 like this

#49 of 150 mrz7

mrz7

Stunt Coordinator

• 130 posts

Posted November 12 2013 - 09:07 PM

There would be several places I wouldn't mind living:

1.) Maybe not Wysteria Lane (the death rate is high there).......but Knot's Landing's Cul De Sac......LOTS of pretty people there (Abby, Gary, Ciji etc.....). 

2.)  Drew Carey's house in Cleveland or Laverne and Shirley's Milwaukee apartment (both were simple.....but fun to party and have friends over)

3.)  Frasier's apartment (it was very stylish......Seattle right?).  I guess the same would go for Will's apartment (from Will & Grace), and Monica and Rachel's apartment (From Friends).....both in New York.

#50 of 150 Wezzo

Wezzo

Second Unit

• 259 posts

Posted November 13 2013 - 02:36 AM

Stars Hollow from Gilmore Girls. Lovely, quaint, quirky small town.

Edited by Wezzo, November 13 2013 - 02:36 AM.

• TravisR likes this

#51 of 150 Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted November 13 2013 - 03:30 AM

POPULAR

Great topic Gary :)  So good, that I drew a blank when reading this one.  I didn't think about this question until reading your thread.

So, here's my choices.....

If we're talking 4th dimension.... it's easy :)

"Two American scientists are lost in the swirling maze of past and future ages during the first experiments on America's greatest and most secret project...THE TIME TUNNEL! Tony Newman and Doug Phillips now tumble helplessly toward a new fantastic adventure...somewhere along the infinite corridors of Time."

2a7hrvq.jpg

I'd like to be traveling with Tony & Doug, landing in a new location whenever the Time Tunnel complex activates the "tunnel".

If we're talking 3 dimensions :),  I have 2 choices:

1) Homesteading near the "Macahans" ("How the West Was Won" miniseries) on my own spread, with the wide open frontier panorama stretching out in all directions and a mountain range nearby.

2) "Mayfield' USA, down the street from the "Cleavers" in LITB.  I can hear that ice cream truck coming up the street playing a Calliope-sounding recording before heading over to "Metzger's Field" for a baseball game.

• Steve...O, Gary OS, Ockeghem and 1 other like this

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#52 of 150 smithbrad

smithbrad

Supporting Actor

• 515 posts

Posted November 13 2013 - 06:33 AM

While growing up through having a family years, I would choose any of the standard 50's neighborhoods (e.g., FKB, LITB, Dennis the Menace), but for my retirement years, I would definitely go with Mayberry.

• Gary OS and Ockeghem like this

#53 of 150 Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,122 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted November 13 2013 - 07:04 AM

I wouldn't mind being a part of the Full House family! Never a dull moment!

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#54 of 150 Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 623 posts

Posted November 13 2013 - 08:33 AM

No Doubt... Cocoa Beach. Warm weather year around and a half dressed girl who want to please me at any cost. I don't think Dick Van Dyke's Ottoman or the Brady's spiral staircase quite compare.

• Ron1973 likes this

#55 of 150 Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke

Supporting Actor

• 623 posts

Posted November 13 2013 - 08:37 AM

How about the child hood town Gig Young visited in "Walking Distance?. I'll skip the apartment where Gig ended up in 76.

#56 of 150 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,439 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted November 13 2013 - 08:50 AM

POPULAR

Hey, let's think BIG:  The Beverly Hillbillies' estate!  Although I don't think I'd be running next door to borrow a cup of sugar from Mrs. Drysdale.  Also, in a Paul Henning vein, I could live very comfortably at the Shady Rest Hotel, living on Kate's fried chicken and apple pie.  I could rely on mass transit (the Cannonball) to get around and never have to deal with traffic.  Mayberry would also be on the list, as well as all those TV towns where it only snows on Christmas and nobody needs screens on their doors or windows.

Edited by Rob_Ray, November 13 2013 - 08:51 AM.

• JohnMor, Ron1973 and Astairefan like this

#57 of 150 Shatner's Grim Reaper

Shatner's Grim Reaper

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted November 13 2013 - 09:56 AM

A few Specific Places that I don't want to be....in NO specific order

Aboard the SS Queen of Glascow Ghost Ship for eternity...

In the same house with Henri Radin's painting of "The Grim Reaper"...

In a red short aboard the USS Enterprise...

On the other end of Paladin's gun barrel...

Being pursued relentlessly across the country by Lt. Phillip Gerard...

Guilty of murder in the same city that Lt. Columbo investigates homicides...

Being one of the unlucky New York City Cops to trade bullets with Phillip Hames...

Being a Riddlerette when John Astin plays "The Riddler"...

Being a fly on the wall in "The Munsters Today"...

Being the first stop for Mr Haney daily in Hooterville...

Stuck in that awful Village and never becoming acquainted with Number 6....

Being Henry Bemis...

• JohnMor likes this

#58 of 150 BobO'Link

BobO'Link

Screenwriter

• 1,594 posts
  • LocationMid-South

Posted November 13 2013 - 11:26 AM

POPULAR

I'm pleasantly surprised at all the Mayberry selections.  I thought I might be the only one to list it. 

Gary "loving these responses from everyone" O.

Not at all... I'd love to live in Mayberry!  My second choice would be Mayfield with Beaver.  I think either would be great places to retire!

The small town in which I grew up is somewhere between those 2 towns (population ~3600).  It wasn't *quite* as rural as Mayberry but not as large as Mayfield (or not as large as my mind's eye sees the town).  You could ride your bike the couple of blocks to "downtown", everybody knew you (and watched out for you), you knew *all* the kids at school because there were around 90 or so in each grade.  Even if you lived in a different part of town than your friends you could still ride your bike to their house in 15 minutes or so (of course moms would call ahead to make sure you got there OK).  Even crossing "main street" for such visits wasn't much of an obstacle.  We'd ride our bikes to the ice house in the summer to get a soda (it was a whole block away from downtown) and the guy who ran it would frequently let us go inside for a few minutes to cool off.  We'd go to the dime store for a bag of "penny" candy.  Candy bars were $.05 and most other items were 2-5 for a penny - you could get a small bag about half full for $.10 and eat on it all day.  One drug store had a soda fountain with ice cream so you could get floats, cones, sundaes, and banana splits with the requisite booths so you could eat on site.  A friends dad owned that one so on occasion he'd give us a discount.  A smallish river (~100 yards wide at the main bridge) runs through town and borders the backside of "downtown" (a 1/3 mile section of the street that runs beside the railroad tracks - it was the main highway when I was a kid but a bypass was built around town when I was in HS).  One of the 2 burger joints was 100% local, had car hops at one point, and was *the* gathering place for the more mobile teen crowd on the weekends.  The other was a Dairy Queen and had a drive through window.  You went there when the Cow Bar (yes, that was the name) was full or you didn't want to wait as long for your food.

We all were ready to leave town when we graduated HS and I never looked back until I had grandkids and developed an appreciation of such a life for kids.  It was a *great* place to grow up and I'm somewhat saddened that my kids and grandkids never had that experience and "freedom" such a lifestyle permits.  Of course it's all changed since I was a kid and that town doesn't have all that any more.  Like many small towns it's slowly dying.

• Rodney, Steve...O, Gary OS and 2 others like this

#59 of 150 jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 937 posts

Posted November 13 2013 - 11:52 AM

If I was an aspiring hardcore criminal, I probably would have loved to have lived in the Miami from the 1980's tv show "Miami Vice" and the 1980's movie "Scarface".

(Not a tv show or movie world).  Perhaps also living in a real life version of video game "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City".  "Vice City" was like a spoof/parody of mid-1980's Miami and then-popular culture.

:lol:

#60 of 150 Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,557 posts

Posted November 13 2013 - 12:18 PM

POPULAR

Howie, I love your hometown!  What great memories you must have.  I completely agree with you that it's a shame kids today don't have the opportunity to have grown up in towns like that. 

Gary "born in the mid-60's and promptly being moved to Tampa as a toddler made it impossible for me to have such memories of small town life - I'm truly jealous (in a good way)" O.

• Steve...O, Ockeghem and BobO'Link like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users